1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 and locker confusion.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by flightcancled, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Mar 1, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled [OP] Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Bunch of questions:

So I have a 4x4 Prerunner sport(I guess, I don't see TRD on anything...) This means that I have a locker in the rear diff right? This means I have the option of the gray wire mod right?

When I go into 4-Lo the light flashes and there is a beep, but it never stops like I have read it should. Shouldn't it stop when the locker engages? What can I do to unfreeze it?

I live in Syracuse NY, which means that we get epic lake effect snow storms this time of year(2ft this weekend). Lake effect snow is super heavy and moist when it falls and has the consistency of grainy gel after a day or so. Driving in this stuff is essentially muddling at times. I've noticed that while in the thick stuff my RPMs will suddenly drop to the point that the truck seems like it should stall. Is that the Traction Controll? Is there a known way I can rig a switch to kill that POS? I loose so much power that any momentum I had to get through the slush is gone. Not to mention it is a massive waste of gas and brakes.

2. Mar 1, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    thestrangebrew

thestrangebrew AlphaPlanner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Dos Palos CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 Rugged Trail Edition
    Black Badges, Black Center Console
    There was a thread on this posted a while back. I went through the same thing in my 08 4x4 DC. I had to put it into 4lo then hit the button, then creep forward. I had to do it several times in order for it to engage but it finally did. I don't know if it's the same as yours, but that's what I had to do.

3. Mar 1, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    MocoTaco

MocoTaco Active Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco reg cab 4cyl., AT, 5 lug
    I'm not sure, but I believe that alarm means you have lost traction and have one or more wheels spinning.:eek:

4. Mar 1, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    you either have a 4x4 OR a prerunner, but not both. the sport does not have a locker.

do you have a auto or manual transmission? for the auto, you may have to be a complete stop and in neutral to engage the 4x4. for the manual, the clutch has to be ALL the way in.

5. Mar 1, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    The sport package is a TRD package. If you have the Sport package (color matched grille, sport hood scoop, and color matched mirrors) you will have the Limited Slip rearend. Both the Sport and the Offroad packages are TRD.

6. Mar 1, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    If it's a sport (all the panels would be color matched like your mirrors and door handles), you'd also have a bed outlet and temp gauge in the cab. If you have those, it's probably a TRD. If all panels are color matched and you have a hood scoop, it's a sport (unless the previous owner traded panels out) and you would not have a locker. If you have a chrome bumper, flat back mirrors and door handles, no scoop, chrome front grill, and the TRD accessories (bed outlet, temp gauge, sport seats, ect) then it's a TRD Off-Road and would have a locker engagement button to the left of the steering wheel. Says something like RR diff.

The issue you're describing now sounds like you're improperly engaging 4-lo. Read the manual on how to engage, basically start at a stop, switch it, and move forward slowly while turning the wheels until it locks (this is the transfer case locking, not diff lockers).

Also what year is it. If it's 09-10, it will have VSC which will cut fuel in slip situations. You can override it at your own risk, by holding the vsc button for 5sec. If it's 05-08, you do not have this, and in slip you should be able to go full throttle no issue.

Also like those that beat me... you either have a 4x4 or prerunner. PreRunner simply means it's a 2wd with the 4x4 suspension setup (aka poser, mine :D)

7. Mar 1, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    flightcancled

Member:
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    I have 4x4, but for some reason the 07 dealer promo paperwork the original owner gave me says that a 2.7L V4 with 4x4 is still a Prerunner. The only button I have in my panel is to be able to start the truck without stepping on the clutch -its manual. None of my stuff is color matched, but its also not chrome.

8. Mar 1, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    DTacoms

DTacoms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB BSP
    If you are 4x4 non-TRD, you don't have a locker.

You must be in neutral when engaging to 4-LO.

9. Mar 1, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    If you have a 4 banger, it's not a TRD. TRD only has the v6. Being an '07, there's no VSC or other traction control setups. You do probably have an LSD rear end, but I'm not up to snuff on that. It sounds like you're just having some difficulty engaging the 4x4 diff.

10. Mar 1, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    flightcancled

Member:
    The 4Hi is definitely engaging. Maybe the computer is waiting for the rear diff to lock even though it isn't able to- thus the endless beeping. Otherwise it just isn't engaging for some reason. If the computer is looking for an E-locker then maybe I can just drop one in. :devil:

Maybe my brakes and wheels are just temporarily filling with heavy slush and stealing my power. My treads are totally clean though so I wouldn't think it is sticky enough.

11. Mar 1, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    You don't have a rear diff lock. Button on the dash? Left of the steering wheel? Read the manual for 4lo engagement. :p

12. Mar 1, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    sounds like you got hosed like i did. I was sold a base model with TRD off road stickers. at the time I didnt know the difference.

if its a base model it will NOT have a locker. the base model has unpainted fenders, black rear bumper, and non painted grill.
    Hopefully you didnt pay the for the TRD price tag.

13. Mar 1, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I just checked your gallery, you have the BASE MODEL. NON TRD. so you will NOT have a locker. so if the paperwork you got says SPORT or TRD, I would make for damn sure you didnt pay TRD price for a base model.

14. Mar 1, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    DaWillDaBeast

DaWillDaBeast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 with some goodies
    Things
    You have the 4x4 base model with no E-Locker. The beeping has nothing to do with a rear diff lock, it is beeping because you are not putting it onto 4L the right way. Follow the steps outlined in your manual to put it in 4L and i promise you it will stop beeping. For an automatic, you put it in 4hi, then come to a stop, put it in neutral, switch it to 4 low and put it in drive again.

15. Mar 1, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Bummer!

To confirm: A rear locker is activated by a switch (button) on the left of the steering wheel, and there is a info. sticker on the door by, it. No switch then no locker.

L4 (Low Range 4WD), must be engaged while you are stopped, in Neutral... read owner's manuel. Light goes from blinking to solid when engaged... sometimes after you begin moving.

The rear differential lock only works in L4... it is only for 'emergencies' or severe situations that prevent you from moving without it. The diff. lock (if you have it) will also go from blinking to solid when it is activated. You must be already in L4 and also stopped for it to engage!

16. Mar 1, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    flightcancled

Member:
    Thanks for all the answers! Cleared everything up for me. I guess depending on how I like the truck off road I will be doing work to get it beef'ed up. I already know I want to upgrade to TRD shocks. Even as a base model it is still otherwise great in the snow and I am getting through stuff that other trucks weren't.

17. Mar 1, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Take it a step further and put Billy 5100's under it.

18. Mar 1, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    flightcancled

Member:
    It really comes down to price and fuel efficiency. I am totally fine with something not quite optimum as long as it makes the ride nicer off road.

19. Mar 1, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    billys are inexpensive and work awesome

20. Mar 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    98tacoma27