1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 and rear locker questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by evansa22, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Aug 16, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    evansa22

evansa22 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    SD
    Vehicle:
    04 trd 4x4
    front fg, aem cai, total chaos long travel front suspension with SAW coilovers
    Hi guys,
    just picked up an 04 tacoma limited 4x4, truck didn't come with owners manual and tryin to figure all this out. i plan on doing the grey wire mod first chance i get, if it hasn't already been done to the truck, but my questions are, wheres the light that comes on when i turn on the 4 wheel drive as no light comes on but i hear the 4 wheel drive engage. secondly, when i have the locker on in 2 or 4hi it blinks real fast, but when i put it in 4 lo teh abs comes on and the rr locker light continues to blink just much slower. is this normal? and lastly, i'm guessing the button on the 4 wheel drive knob is to engage it when pressed in? haven't got to drive it as i just bought it yesterday and just got insurance tonight but thought i would figure this all out before i screwed something up, all help and advice is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Aaron

2. Aug 16, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Hi Aaron & welcome to TW , I just did the grey wire mod with mine & I love it, but before you do that you need to determine that your locker is working correctly, put in 4Lo , push your RRdiff button & it should flash while the ABS light is on, drive slowly in right /left hand circles til the RRDiff light goes solid & hopefully you'll hear a "click" in the rear, this tells you that at least electrically your now locked.. Rememeber to do this on the dirt !! Sometimes it takes a little bit to get it to engage...good luck

Like Manlaan said without the grey mod you can only engage locker in 4Lo...

3. Aug 16, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    For the owners manual, you can get that from toyota in pdf form in the for owners section. You'll probably have to sign up and enter your vin to get the info, but its not a bad idea to see what recall issues are outstanding and services the dealer has done in the past anyway.

If you want the complete manual, I've gone through and saved all the pdf's for my 2002. Everything should be the same. I've attached the pdf for the transmission section just so you can check it out.

But to answer some of your questions:
    1. If you have a tach, the 4x4 light is under the fuel gauge. (I believe the light should light up with the key "on", but not started.)
    2. The locker light should blink fast if its in 4 hi or 2 hi, as its not possible to engage the locker in those modes (with out the mod). I believe this is normal. When its in 4 low, it will blink until its actually engaged. Sometimes you'll have to move forward and or backwards a bit for the gears to mesh up in the right position. It is normal for ABS to be disabled (light on) for the Diff Lock.
    3. I have a lever instead of a button, so cant really help you with the electronic 4x4 engagement.

Attached Files:

4. Aug 16, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    That is correct. The button engages 4hi.

5. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:00 PM
    evansa22

evansa22 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    SD
    Vehicle:
    04 trd 4x4
    front fg, aem cai, total chaos long travel front suspension with SAW coilovers
    right on guys i really appreciate the help. Love the toyota, went out today in the dirt alittle and did what u guys said, worked perfect. finally found out why the 4 wheel drive light didn't come on. dumb me i didn't have it in gear, so of course the light doesn't come on, figured that out about 5 min into it. but worked just like u guys said, wasn't sure if the 4 wheel drive was gonna work because this truck came with the total chaos long travel suspension in the front, and it says modified tundra axles needed, not sure if they're whats installed or not, says manufactured by CRE i think, ne one know if these are stock? tried to look at the picture they show on there website but the close up isn't great. again thanks for the help and appreciate the input, love this yota!

Products Discussed in

To Top