1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4X4 extended cab with 4cyl

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by gsanderson, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Nov 20, 2009 at 4:57 PM
    gsanderson

gsanderson [OP] Member

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma X-cab 4X4
    I currently have a 95.5, extended cab, V6, 5spd... it has 230000 miles and needs maintenance stuff... no big deal.. tires, shocks, rear leafs packs, timing belt, water pump and that is about it right now...

OK so I started looking at the price of all of that stuff and am thinking about a newer 1st Gen Tacoma with fewer miles... I am having a hard time finding a V6 5sp...

My question is does the 4cyl model have enough power... I do not tow...

What about a 4cyl Prerunner...

2. Nov 20, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I'm perfectly happy with my 01, it's got enough power for everything I need it to do. It's no race car, but it'll keep up with traffic just fine, never had a problem merging or anything. Plus, the 2.7 is a tough engine, timing chain and all, so it'll last a long time. Will need a water pump replaced after maybe 100,000 or so, but I don't know of any other "problem" areas in the 2.7 Maybe do the airbox mod, put an AFE ProDry filter in, maybe a magnaflow muffler, and you'll have a good truck. Oh yeah, it gets 19-20 mpg mixed highway (80 mph) and town driving, on a highway only trip it'll get about 23mpg.

3. Nov 20, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    I love my 2000 with the 2.7. I have no problem keeping up with traffic, I had my brother in laws Honda Rubicon 4x4 ATV in the back and it drove like it wasn't even there. In 4wd it has lots of power. 20mpg city, 23 highway. I say yes to a 2.7 without a doubt.

4. Nov 20, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    Scott K

Scott K Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    Amsoil Synthetic ASL 5w30 Oil, Amsoil ATL Fuel Efficient ATF, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 in front/rear diffs & transfer case.
    The nice thing about the 4 cylinder is it's got reasonable aftermarket support - with some good quality headers & exhaust systems available from companies like LCE, Thorley, etc. So you can pep it up a little bit as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top