1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 in rain

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by vantaco, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    vantaco

vantaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco Xtracab TRD Step Side
    i know you're not supposed to engage 4x4 on the dry pavement....what about then it's raining?

i've already had the "happy ass" happend a couple times this week and yes being a little lighter on the throttle in corners can mitigate any rear end sliding i was just wondering if it was ok to engage the 4x4 on rainy wet roads?

i also want to confirm if it's ok on snowy paved roads (light dusting etc)

2. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    The basic issue is traction. When you have 4x4 engaged you basically don't have a differential. So, when turning, if your wheels can't slip you could lock things up and damage parts.

I wouldn't engage 4x4 in rain, unless it was a real serious standing water on road rain. Light dusting of snow is the same. To much traction for it to work right in a turn, IMO.

If you feel like your sliding to much you might want to check your tire tread. Or, as you stated, slow down when cornering. You could also get a couple 50lb bags of sand and throw them in the bed over the rear axle. That helps too.

3. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    dirtytaco2010

dirtytaco2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    south lake tahoe, CA baby
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD Sport LB
    custom badging, Black Badges, tint, General AT/2's, nerf bars black, ultra-gauge,toytec AAL, removed mud flaps, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.75, AFE pro dry s air fliter, spidertrax, black rock 17'' wheels
    i barely use 4x4 in the snow unless its dumping or icy never in the rain

4. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:45 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    I ve never even though about using my 4 wheel drive in the rain. Everyone is right on here slow down a bit and check your tire tread.

5. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:54 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    As mentioned, your tires could be part of the problem.

I put a new set of BFG KMs on mine at the beginning of summer. They were great on the trail but not so great on the wet pavement. Now that the rainy season is here I'm thinking of having them siped. Its either that or slow down a lot. :eek:

6. Oct 24, 2010 at 11:19 PM
    Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    Check your tire pressure to confirm it's set correctly and not too high for some reason and also take a look at the condition of your tires. Bald and or badly worn tires will greatly contribute to bad traction in the rain. I'll bet more than anything that's the problem. Also, just be careful on how you drive.

I wouldn't ever engage the 4x4 in the rain because as mentioned, it's best to only have it in when the tires can slip and break traction a little bit when turning.

7. Oct 24, 2010 at 11:19 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    it doesn't matter what you're driving on in 4x4 as long as you don't turn. but if you ever want to turn it needs to be on dirt, gravel, snow, etc.

8. Oct 25, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Yeah I engage mine on dry pavement on occassion ONLY when I am going straight down the road and not making any turns usually only for a mile or less, thought it was a good idea only to lube stuff up in the front diff.

I will put it in 4 L with the ingnition on but not running and press the rear diff lock only to hear the thing click, thinking if you don't use it you will lose it.

9. Oct 25, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    What he said.... especially if your tires are a little old and worn, if you're having trouble with traction and you're going straight I don't see the harm in using 4 wheels. On my old tires, there are a couple hills around town where I'd lose traction if I had to stop at the red light, so I'd put it into 4 hi to start and once I got going I'd drop it back into 2. If you aren't turning there won't be any binding.

The ultimate answer though is to get better tires if yours aren't hooking up in rain.

10. Oct 25, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    There have been threads before on the use of 4x4 on dry, wet or snowy surfaces and the responses are very scattered. Personally, if you think you need 4x4 in the rain, you're driving too fast, SLOW DOWN. Snow is a judgement call, I don't use it unless I physically can not travel through the depth of snow without it or am parking and need slow speed control. Using 4x4 on dry pavement to me is just asking for trouble. Do it if you want but it's putting unnecessary stress on various parts of your drive train. As far as using 4x4 to lube up various parts, your call. I use it when I need it. The only thing you're really using is the switch, your front end has moving parts regardless of whether 4x4 is engaged or not.

11. Oct 25, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    vantaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the replies

obvisouly i'd never use it on dry pavement...i said that in my first post

the tires are newer meaty kuhmo's, so not really alot of traction for the wet roads....i'm hoping they'll be solid in the snow though

sand bags etc is what i was planning on doing, expecially once the snow starts

thanks guys

12. Oct 25, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If your tires are getting thin (low tread) - can cause fishtailing in the rain. If your air pressure in those tires are too high....can also cause fishtailing in the rain.

My tires are stock from factory and they have 30k miles on them and there's about 1/4" (or less) tread on them. THey suck in the rain....and I'm totally aware of it. You just gotta go slower when first accelerating, especially when making turns.

13. Oct 25, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    So, are you saying you're running mud terrain tires?

IF YES, then that's your problem. Mud Terrains suck in the rain.

14. Oct 25, 2010 at 8:15 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    To be clear, you don't have a 'middle' differential like AWD cars have, but you do have the front and rear differentials. The left and right wheels on the same axle can slip (because of the differential), but the front and rear drive shaft are locked together when in 4WD, so there is no slippage between them... and that is why steering can be difficult in 4WD on the road.

When the road is very slippery (heavy rain, oily surface, etc.) then using 4WD will be a great driving advantage. If there isn't enough slippage you will have difficulty steering and that is a sign to go back to 2WD.

The newest trucks now have TRAC/AUTO LSD/VSC and steering and control in rainy weather is much improved that using 4WD is not as big an advatage as before in the rain.

15. Oct 25, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    The only times I ever used 4 wheel drive in my old truck was snow or mud. I never used it in rain.

16. Oct 25, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    vantaco

Member:
    Vehicle:

ya looks like they are the Road Venture MT's

i might pick up a set of rims/tires off a newer tacoma off craigslist

how will these MT's be in snow??

17. Oct 25, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    Exactly right, I was just simplifying for the sake of brevity. :)

18. Oct 25, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    10-4, and I was just 'extending the answer' because I got little else to do, sadly! :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top