1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 or 4x2

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by StarGazer, Aug 29, 2010.

?

What do you drive?

Poll closed Sep 28, 2010.
  1. A 4x4

182 vote(s)
    65.7%
  2. A 4x2

95 vote(s)
    34.3%
  1. Aug 30, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    Heavy stuff big tires drives like hell
    4x4... granted, my location makes it a requisite feature, but even if I didn't need it, I would go 4x4, just in case.

2. Aug 31, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    RaidenDSI

RaidenDSI Member

Member:
    Lincoln, NE
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    4x4. I live in Lincoln, NE and even though we don't have too much snow here when it does snow I drive around all day and help shovel out our older members of my church after I clean up our church parking lot. Of course I also pull out about 10 cars a day that are stuck in the snow. This year I am looking at buying a snow plow for the truck to make the work easier.
    I would rather have something and not need it than need something and not have it.

3. Aug 31, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    4x here.
    I live in southern Louisiana and don't really need the 4x4 unless I go looking for trouble. In which case is easy enough to find.
    My previous truck was an 02 pre runner and it was sufficient for DD and playing on the weekends.

4. Aug 31, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    In canada, quebec, 4X4 no question asked.

5. Aug 31, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    jdcrowe75

jdcrowe75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD OR 4x4
    I've owned both and both were fine. It's just that with a 4x2 I had to carefully choose my battles. There's just places I didn't try to go. With the 4x4 I can throw caution to the wind (to some degree of course). Anyway, I love my 4x4 but if I couldn't afford it I'd be alright with a 4x2.

6. Aug 31, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    4x4 and the re-sale value is much better on the 4 wheel drive.

Az has so much awesome backcountry and pre-runner limits you BIG TIME here!

Azbackcountry

7. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I have a TRD OR 4x2 with a rear locker and it will do a lot. Plus with limited snow in Atlanta, and I don't drive in the snow because they put salt on the roads. Plus I don't want to pull an extra differential around all the time when I don't need it.

My truck is 18 months old and cherry as the day that I bought it. No need to take an expensive truck in the woods and tear it up ... been there and done that when I was younger.

Later, I might get an older 4x4 CJ5 or something with locking hubs, solid front axle and not worry about getting it scratched in the woods.

Products Discussed in

To Top