1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4! ...or PreRunner?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zul, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Jul 14, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    zul

zul [OP] Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    Fink - thanks for the tip and link! That is extremely valuable advice. I may actually put the idea of buying new into motion! It will still require more saving, but the info you provided takes the worst part of buying a car (dealing with salespeople) out of the equation.

Off to spend another night researching and crunching numbers! :D

2. Jul 15, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    x2

3. Jul 15, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Or you can get the same certificates at the source USAA, Overstock and the other "car buying" sites link to

http://www.truecar.com/

4. Jul 15, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    I bought my 2008 PreRunner with 24 K miles and over a year left on the factory Warranty the OR TRD package and $1000 worth of accessories already on the truck for $20,500 OTD (yeah they were asking $4000 more) But saved at least $6000-$7000 over the same truck 2011 new without the add ons.. Those savings wiill go into my next 2 year old truck or bike. Pretty significant.
    One thing great about Toyotas is they are much better values used than new.

Don;t confuse "asking prices" with actual selling prices. You don't know what you can buy a truck for until you try to buy that truck and negotiate.

5. Jul 15, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    I looked at this route too but found out that some dealerships only certify prices with Overstock. It seems like, at least the ones that I looked into, those dealerships that don't do true Zag pricing will sometimes do an Overstock price.

I'm not sure if it's because of some sort of mutually beneficial agreement they have with them or just because of the name, but that's what I found with my research here locally.

Either way, Zag pricing is the tits.

Fink:headbang:

6. Jul 17, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    Rikkitik

Rikkitik Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Central Valley CA
    Vehicle:
    SW '08 PreRun OR (current)
    Revtek HL's, 5100's, Billet grille, DVD4300, JL, Focal w/Seas tweeters with my own x-over, JL 10" cust. box
    I'm asking the same question right now. Pre or 4x4.
    I have a clean 4x4 AC, Sport V6, S/Blue manual, 38k miles
    If a comparable S/White V6 manual '08 Pre comes available, I'd be very tempted to trade the 4x4.
    Reasoning = '08 trans should have most of the "upgraded parts", trans is easier to pull without transfer case - should I ever need to have it out, no front diff. needle bearing to worry about, from what I've read on this forum the tailgate is stronger, and not having the extra 300lb.s of the 4x4, the truck should be a little quicker. Besides, 95% of my driving is pavement/commute (short drive though).
    Just my thinking.
    Most of the used Pre's I've seen on lots have been kinda thrashed though. :(

Products Discussed in

To Top