1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4! ...or PreRunner?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zul, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Jun 29, 2011 at 9:52 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    I always have peace of mind in my 2wd. Just gotta know the limits of your truck and how to drive it.

2. Jun 29, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    Prerrunner with O/R. But I'm biased.

3. Jun 29, 2011 at 11:45 PM
    zul

zul [OP] Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    When it snowed or the roads iced up. Granted, in the PDX area that is only about 2-3 times per year. But I was not able to drive my car because I wasnt confident enough that I wouldnt slip or get stuck. I dont want to worry about that anymore - I want to be able to look out the window and no matter the weather (save for a tsunami) I'd be able to say "Sure! No problem!"

That's why I wanted a 4wd taco. But if the locking rear diff on the TRD PreRunner will allow me to have that peace of mind without spending the extra cash, why not?

I still would prefer a 4x4. But i've done more math, and to buy what I want (Double cab short bed, 4x4, SR5 or TRD OR) I will have to wait longer. To the tune of 3-4 months, most likely. But I need it sooner rather than later - the tranny on my saab is going the way of the Titanic. If I could buy a PreRunner in July or August that would be a huge weight off my shoulders.

I appreciate all the feedback! Keep it coming, this is a hard decision.

4. Jun 29, 2011 at 11:52 PM
    R.J.

R.J. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 6spd SR5 TRD Off Road
    Weather Tech Floor Liners (Black), Weather Tech In-Channel Window Visors, 10% Tint Rear - 15% Tint Front, Black Badges, Konig Countersteer Offroad Type X with 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, "Homeroshi" Grille, Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, Light Racing Upper Control Arms
    4x4. Do it.

5. Jun 30, 2011 at 12:22 AM
    eckcessive

eckcessive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    in between Tacoma's
  6. Jun 30, 2011 at 12:29 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Wheres Kingfrog when you need him

[​IMG]

7. Jun 30, 2011 at 12:32 AM
    jaw154

jaw154 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD Off road
    Soon...

In my opinion, I say you wait the extra 3 months.
    Do it right the first time and you wont have to deal with the 4x4 dilemma in the future. Just my thoughts

8. Jun 30, 2011 at 5:48 AM
    IsmellBacon

IsmellBacon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD offroad double cab
    None yet, need to finish the HEEP first
    Those who buy 2 wheel drive trucks need to pull their balls out of their purse. Trucks should only come with 4 wheel drive.

Bacon

9. Jun 30, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    rev25sharp

rev25sharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    jacksonville fl
    Vehicle:
    Silver 17dcsb trd sport
    my balls are perfectly fine, sweet cakes. yeah you ,may need 4x4 where your at, i am in florida. i have never seen snow, and i rarely go somewhere good driving skill cant get me out of... if you are thinking this hard, go with the 4x4

10. Jun 30, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    ohdrj1all

ohdrj1all Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 XtraCab 4x4 SR5 2.7L 5spd
    Get the 4x4... if you don't at some point you'll regret it and not be happy with your PreRunner.

Just sayin'....

11. Jun 30, 2011 at 6:44 AM
    Cerviperus

Cerviperus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Mt. Zion, IL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 TRD Off Road
    Grille4You 3" Stainless Nerf Bars, EGR In-Channel Window Deflectors, BAKFlip HD Tonneau Cover, Oznium 5" Blue LED Dome Light, WeatherTech Floor Liners, EGR Bug Shield
    I bought the PreRunner with TRD package, and don't regret it one bit. I'm in central Illinois where we do get snow, and I still wasn't concerned with 4x4. It's all in what your planned usage of the truck is, and your driving style. I've never had 4-wheel drive, and never been stuck. And that doesn't mean I stay home in the snow, I just drive within my (and my vehicle's) limits. Do I do any off-roading? Sure, if driving down a dirt road to a fishing hole counts.

I was in the same boat as you. I couldn't justify the additional cost of the 4x4, and I don't regret going with the PreRunner at all.

12. Jun 30, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    +1

OP, it all depends on what you think your usage is going to be over the life of your truck. My last 2 vehicles were 4wd (well, 1 4wd and 1 awd), and I'm now in a Prerunner and am just fine with it.

Also keep in mind that the 09+ have traction control and the auto-LSD. For your use, from you're original post, that will work fine for you without the added expense of the Off-road package. The e-locker in the Off-road package will work better in true off-road situations and low speed-low traction situations though.

Again, all depends on your needs, timeline and budget.

13. Jun 30, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    zul

zul [OP] Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    My budget constrains me to the older 2nd gens - 05-06 most likely. I'm looking to spend between 16-17k, and could possibly go up to 19 with a wait. 09's are all 20k+ where i live. (I'd love to have one though - timberland mica is where it's at ;))

14. Jun 30, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    A rear locked prerunner will not do well in the snow. The locker will do better for you if you were to get stuck in the snow. Locker off driving around will keep you from losing traction. I put my locker on during the winter if I'm messing around doing donuts or something :D

15. Jun 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    Fore

Fore Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    Live in VA, we have snow from time to time nothing major. I don't go off roading so 4X4 is pointless to have. Save the money and buy a Prerunner and use the extra money for MODS, I've been averaging 22+ mpg around the city so far this summer. (Yes I really do!) If you drive the speed limit with a Prerunner it can be done. I see way to many Tacomas ripping by me to prove that there hicks with no brains and then watch them pull into Sheets to get more testosterone I mean gas!

16. Jun 30, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    Tacomanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    How bout I smear my balls all over your face

17. Jun 30, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    jaw154

jaw154 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD Off road
    Soon...
    :ohsnap:

18. Jun 30, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    4x4 or forget it

Unless you're gonna get balls smeared in your face

In that case I would settle for a Prerunner

19. Jun 30, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    Tacomanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    :cool:

20. Jun 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Hello fellow Oregonian!

Based on your price range, needs, and style, I see two options:

1. Older PreRunner TRD: Go this option if you want more cab space and you are out of time on the Saab.
    -I wouldn't worry about snow, it usually melts in a day. For those times when you need to get through, I would recommend a good set of the Quick Fit chains at Schwab's. 2WD with chains on all corners will outperform a 4WD with mudders around here, at least on pavement and the well graveled logging roads until you get real high up.
    -I'm still recommending the locker. This will most likely cover all the offroading you sound like you will be doing, plus will give a good tool for use if you use your truck for home/garden - driving around the backyard and you park somewhere wet with a load, you can sink just enough that a 2WD will sit and spin. Locker should help get you out.
    -Also consider that you can later on add an offroad bumper and a winch. We have tons of trees out here, and *typically* you can rely on them.
    Another argument for 2WD is cost of ownership. This truck will eventually get old and need repairs. Less parts = less cost.

2. 1st gen 4x4: go this option if you have an idea that you are going to get the offroad bug. They can be hard to find and spendy for a used vehicle, but for very good reason. I often wish I had gone this route, but my 22 year old car was costing me $300 every summer for carb adjustment and the unburnt fuel fumes was getting too much.

Products Discussed in

To Top