1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4X4 Problem...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by BuellRyder, May 13, 2011.

1. DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Do not use 4 wheel drive on surfaces you have grip. No pavement. You will damage it if you haven't already.

2. David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
    The grinding sound is possibly a joint failure or brake pad wear indicator. Take it to mechanic for that issue.

The loud bang is normal, but I call it a 'thunk' sound. Let off on the gas rather than accelerate when going in or out of H4.

4WD is for low traction (slippery) conditions, do not use on DRY PAVEMENT. Turning on hard/ dry surfaces is not easy in 4WD because the front tires must rotate more than the back tires in a turn... and 4WD locks the front and back together, so steering would be hard if you were in 4WD and not on a surface that allows the tires to slip a bit in a turn.

Low Range (L4) is for slow crawling up grades when you need max. power to the tires to climb... or push through deep mud.

3. lynnchpin

lynnchpin YOTACO

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4WD TRD Debadged
    ...later
    Its been multiple surfaces, but usually wet or slightly muddy...with the exception of trying to figure out why I was getting that noise. Thanks for the input, Drew and Dave

4. lynnchpin

lynnchpin YOTACO

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4WD TRD Debadged
    ...later
    After several months and multiple trips to the dealer, come to find out there was a problem with the front differential. They claim to have found shavings inside. Other than that I couldn't get any other information. Most likely the result of the previous owner's abuse. For the record, I had never driven on dry pavement, only off road or gravel roads. I had never specified that, although it seemed like it was assumed.

To Top