1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Blumpkinson, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Dec 20, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson [OP] Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Alright so NJ got pounded by snow over the weekend and in between studying for finals i would go screw around in the snow. I know that 4wd should only be engaged when traction is limited, being that it was nearly impossible for me to get into first without spinning, 4wd seemed necessary.

My question is that now that some of the main roads are clear should i dissengage 4wd everytime i get onto one? The side roads are still completely iced over so every time i would leave the main roads i would need to put the truck back into 4wd. Is it necessary to keep taking it out of 4wd even if i'm only on the main road for a little bit?

Also i always come to a stop to both engage and dissengage 4wd, is that really necessary?

2. Dec 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    madisonsfinest

madisonsfinest Addicted to my DSLR

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC OffRoad 4x4 Debaged
    Factory Roof Rack Avid Offroad Light Bar 16" XD Hoss Truxedo LoPro QT Window Tint Autobot Emblem w/Autobot Shifter Color Matched Grille
    If you look at your manual it says that you can switch into 4 Hi under I think around 62 MPH. Not sure if it makes a difference but I make sure I'm not accelerating before changing and I'm usually going 30 MPH or less when switching. For 4 Lo you must be stopped and go into Neutral before switching to 4 Lo. If you are in and out of snow, I wouldn't think that you have to keep switching, although if its going to be clear for a bit, I usually switch

3. Dec 20, 2009 at 3:10 PM
    Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab, 4x4, TRD, SR5
    Eibach/Bilsteins, Beefed shackles, Bushwacker Cut-Outs, Custom roll bar, TG Sliders, Elite Front Bumper, XRC8 Winch
    You can go into 4 high if you're under 55mph. There are two types of 4wd shifting sticks. One has a button on the left side of the knob that you press and the transmission will determine the best time to engage the transfer case electronically. The other is manual, meaning that you must pull back on the lever to engage the transfer case. But as lona as you are under 55mph, there is no problem with throwing it into 4 high. If I have any question about the road's condition, I throw it into 4 high.

4. Dec 20, 2009 at 3:12 PM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson [OP] Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Gotcha, thanks guys. It'll be nice to be able to put it into 4HI while moving.

To Top