1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5 Speed Transmission Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by "OldManTan", Jul 21, 2009.

1. Jul 21, 2009 at 5:31 PM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" [OP] Now my Taco is bloody Red, ewww

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab, Radiant Red
    Pioneer HU, Duratracs on Black stockers, Century topper with custom electronic lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Foglight Mod, Always on 12v Plugs, Sub & Amp, LED Interior Lights, Cup Holder Mod, Andres Devil Horns, CB radio, steps, relocated trailer harness, blacked out everything!!
    I believe I have a R155F tranny in my 2006 4cyl 4x4. My question is.... is it a true 5 speed, or is it a 4 speed with overdrive. The shift knob has 1-5 on it. I only ask because I just towed with this truck for the first time recently, and not sure if I should be using 5th if it truly is an overdrive gear.

2. Jul 21, 2009 at 5:41 PM
    quicksilvertacoma

quicksilvertacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harlingen, TX.
    Vehicle:
    08 Reg. Cab Tacoma 4x4
    NA
    i have an 08 4 cyl 4x4 that i pull a small boat with, i stay out of 5th to keep the rpm's at about 2500. If i put it in 5th i feel a major decrease in power so i just keep it in 4th

3. Jul 21, 2009 at 5:46 PM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" [OP] Now my Taco is bloody Red, ewww

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab, Radiant Red
    Pioneer HU, Duratracs on Black stockers, Century topper with custom electronic lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Foglight Mod, Always on 12v Plugs, Sub & Amp, LED Interior Lights, Cup Holder Mod, Andres Devil Horns, CB radio, steps, relocated trailer harness, blacked out everything!!
    I was only using 5th when I was over 55. I was gaining speed and/or downshifting before hills that I could see. Just want to make sure I am not causing damege is all.

4. Jul 21, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I think it's and overdrive gear in 5th.
    But the whole "true 5 spd" versus "overdriven" doesn't matter. If you drive the truck where it sounds right and has the umph to pull the load and maneuver- It doesn't matter what gear it is.

5. Jul 22, 2009 at 6:11 AM
    sriley727

sriley727 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aiken, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 Reg cab PreRunner SR5
    Bone stock
    5th gear is an overdrive gear but you don't need to worry about hurting anything. The only thing that is going to happen if 5th gear isn't delivering enough power is that you are going to slow down and you'll have to down shift.

To Top