1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

50% Tint?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by tgriff, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Mar 27, 2015 at 1:45 PM
    JBecker

JBecker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC SR 4X4 2.7 Manual

I'm not sure what the rating is on the front windows from the factory. However they do seem to be slightly darker than the windshield is.

I had 35% on my last truck and it was very close to the back, just a hair lighter. Only reason I went with 50% this time is because I didn't want to give police a reason to pull me over.

2. Mar 27, 2015 at 1:45 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    And it matches the rear smoked glass almost perfectly. The difference being the window tint film is black in color so in sunlight, looking through the cab my front windows are a shade of grey and the smoked glass in the rear windows is a shade of brown.

3. Mar 27, 2015 at 1:47 PM
    JBecker

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:

So far I like it a lot. It's not too dark at night, and no issues using the side mirrors. I mainly got it to cut down on the heat in the summer.

4. Mar 27, 2015 at 1:50 PM
    JBecker

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:

This ceramic tint almost has a slight green/grey look to it in direct sunlight. But it's very minimal. I've seen lots of other tints that were all kind of funky colors.

Also worth noting is I don't get that rainbow effect when wearing my polarized Spy sunglasses. My last metallic based tint did that horribly. Very annoying.

5. Mar 27, 2015 at 1:53 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    Okay I see. That's confusing then because with 50% I would expect you to have darker windows. Glad you like your setup btw :thumbsup:
    PR, you should add more pics to your build thread so I can see what 20% looks like.

6. Mar 27, 2015 at 1:58 PM
    Fernando

Fernando Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    not my front windows, but my front windshield. 50%. Just perfect.

Hope it helps OP

.6.jpg
    flex.jpg
    front..jpg
    pc tg.jpg

7. Mar 27, 2015 at 2:00 PM
    tgriff

tgriff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4 Black DCLB
    8.5" x 17" Fuel Hostage black wheels P265/65/R17 Toyo Open Country AT II tires Rigid Industries Dually LED pods on back bumper (Diffused pattern) Rigid Industries 10" SR2 amber LED light bar behind grille (Driving pattern) - Custom mount Magnaflow 18" performance muffler Magnaflow 4" resonator exhaust tip - Welded on 3M 35% tint on front windows Access Limited roll-up tonneau cover Uniden Bearcat 880 CB radio 4' Firestik Firefly CB antenna on Relentless Fab hood mount AVS vent visors Lamin-X amber fog light covers ND4's fog light anytime mod Ultragauge MX 1.3 mounted on dash - Custom mount Weathertech floor liners front & rear Access LED battery-powered bed light CravenSpeed stubby antenna OEM Bed Mat Bosch Icon windshield wipers Plasti-dipped front emblem Debadged TRD Sport bedside decals removed Mud flaps removed
    Good to know, thanks

8. Mar 27, 2015 at 2:02 PM
    tgriff

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    8.5" x 17" Fuel Hostage black wheels P265/65/R17 Toyo Open Country AT II tires Rigid Industries Dually LED pods on back bumper (Diffused pattern) Rigid Industries 10" SR2 amber LED light bar behind grille (Driving pattern) - Custom mount Magnaflow 18" performance muffler Magnaflow 4" resonator exhaust tip - Welded on 3M 35% tint on front windows Access Limited roll-up tonneau cover Uniden Bearcat 880 CB radio 4' Firestik Firefly CB antenna on Relentless Fab hood mount AVS vent visors Lamin-X amber fog light covers ND4's fog light anytime mod Ultragauge MX 1.3 mounted on dash - Custom mount Weathertech floor liners front & rear Access LED battery-powered bed light CravenSpeed stubby antenna OEM Bed Mat Bosch Icon windshield wipers Plasti-dipped front emblem Debadged TRD Sport bedside decals removed Mud flaps removed
    Thanks man what kind of tint do you have? Looks a little bit darker than the ceramic tint someone else just posted

9. Mar 27, 2015 at 2:09 PM
    Fernando

Fernando Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    I don't recall what brand they used. but it is ceramic.

wait, I think suntek is the brand they used

10. Mar 27, 2015 at 2:14 PM
    tgriff

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I heard that suntek is good stuff, I think I am going with 3M since thats what the local place uses

11. Mar 27, 2015 at 2:18 PM
    Fernando

Fernando Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    yea I have been going to this shop since 07. I have gone through a lot of cars and have always tinted the windows. These guys do good work and I have no complaints on the tint brand. I have heard good stuff about 3M too

funny story. My dad went down to LA one day and put tint on my stepmoms car. Well, it didn't last long. A couple of months later it looked transparent. He even asked me one day if I removed the tint??????? LOL

12. Mar 27, 2015 at 2:20 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've used 3M and Llumar metallic and Llumar ceramic. No complaints on any. Fernando have you had any issues with the windshield tint? With LEO.

13. Mar 27, 2015 at 2:25 PM
    JBecker

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I'd make it about a week with a windshield tint before I got pulled over. They'd probably make you remove it on the spot or have the vehicle towed here.

14. Mar 27, 2015 at 2:30 PM
    RobertHyatt

RobertHyatt You just can't fix stupid...

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Birmingham AL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    1. The tint shop can handle this. I've had several vehicles tinted. In Alabama, they are required to affix a sticker UNDER the tint showing that it meets state law.

2. Check your state law. A truck/van is treated differently in Alabama from cars. Obviously some vans have ZERO windows behind the drivers door, so those windows (if you have a van or truck) can be a dark as you want, or even painted over. Cars have the 32% on ALL windows restriction. It seems that Limos fall under the truck/van/sport-utility rule even if they are stretched lincolns or whatever. As for windshields, Alabama law only allows a 6" tint across the top, and it must be transparent, but it can be as dark as you want so long as you can see through it.

Our law is 32% with a 3% tolerance. And our cops carry light meters in their cars. It is apparently a lucrative source of revenue for municipal governments.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  15. Mar 27, 2015 at 2:43 PM
    tgriff

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    CT requires a sticker too but that is total BS in my opinion. It is a bright yellow sticker that is 1" tall and it has to be under the tint like your state. It makes no sense; how are you supposed to have a sticker to place in there during the install if they cant test your tint and give you the sticker until the windows have already been tinted? Even if the tint is lighter than the required amount, it is still technically illegal without a sticker. I just want to have a tint that will pass inspection in case I get a repair order from the cops

16. Mar 27, 2015 at 2:49 PM
    Fernando

Fernando Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build
    damn bro, your gonna jinx me man!! LOL..I have been pulled over numerous times over the years for the front windows, but I guess they don't notice the windshield. I have not had to remove my tint for the past few years, but I still have tint and only pay the $25 correction fee...see where I am going with this.... :cool:

Its not what you know, its who you know.....

I have been lucky in the truck, but my wife did end up getting one a couple of weeks ago for the front windows, not the windshield. Truck was all muddy so I think it sparked the officers interest. She said he was really hesitant to write her up, but ended up doing so anyways....I told her she should have showed more cleavage... :rolleyes:

17. Mar 28, 2015 at 7:32 AM
    tgriff

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Bump....Any one else have pictures for me?

18. Mar 28, 2015 at 7:37 AM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    Your state allows windshield tint?

19. Apr 4, 2015 at 1:13 PM
    tgriff

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Ended up going with 35% after all. I was on the fence but the guy at the shop told me that 50% would be really light so I decided to go darker. In direct sunlight it does not look dark at all but I think it will look a lot darker when it is cloudy. Hopefully it will be light enough where the cops wont care but also dark enough to look decent. [Before][After]

Before.jpg
    After.jpg

20. Apr 4, 2015 at 1:15 PM
    Fernando

Fernando Hammerdown

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Too many, See Build