1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100 alignment question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by markc6606, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 at 4:44 AM
    markc6606

markc6606 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bucks County PA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    hope someone here can guide me. did lots of reading and searching through the threads but i'm having a hard time finding the answer i'm looking for. I installed 5100's all around after getting rear spring tsb done on my 10 trd sport dc. fronts set at 1.75 which after measuring before and after only lifted front about 1 3/8 which is what i wanted cause it leveled out perfect. question is , is it possible to get the ideal numbers that most people on site agree are best alignment numbers without changing anything else? (uca's) after all searching before i installed them i didn't think it would be an issue since it was such a slight lift. numbers before 5100's were 0 toe 0.4 camber 2.0 and 2.2 caster which drove like a dream. (I had the printout from after the tsb) .The best my alignment guy could do after 5100's and i'm pretty sure he's good at alignments cause he's done most of my trucks in the past including my 04 tacoma was 0 toe o,7 camber 1.4 and 1.7 caster. truck drives straight as an arrow even stops straight with hard braking no pull at all, just seems to drift at high speeds and steering seems real touchy and darty in the lane. which from what i've been reading is a caster issue. can better numbers be achieved without uca's with such a small lift? should i let him give it another sho
    ? try someone else? i'd rather not since i already paid him. I asked toyota and they wont align under warranty since they said i modded my suspension,didnt think id get any help from them anyway. Thanks for any info anyone can give. ilove the way the truck rides and handles withe the new shocks just want it a little more drivable at speed. Thanks again

2. Aug 1, 2010 at 4:55 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    First up-Paragraphs man....They aren't just for high school English papers.

Second- Toe and Caster are both low...If it still drifts at speed then you need to go back and tell him that and get him to work on it more...and you shouldn't really have to pay any more.

3. Aug 1, 2010 at 6:05 AM
    markc6606

Member:
    Bucks County PA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    thanks for the grammar help but i failed high school english and that was 25 years ago. What I was asking is, is there enough adjustment to get those numbers on such a small lift without uca's. sorry for the bad grammar its pretty much the best i got

4. Aug 1, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Bad grammar/spelling doesn't bother me much cause my typing sucks too...but big blocks of words are hard to read.

If'n you are that low- You should be able to get there...and I would want to get as close as possible to the stock specs. If they can't dial that Tow and Caster up any more...than you got what you can if you don't upgrade UCAs I think.

5. Aug 1, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    markc6606

Member:
    Bucks County PA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    Thanks man. I'll work on the paragraph thing. I was hoping someone else had run into the same type of situation.From everything I've read people say .you don't get into uca issues till your up like 2.5 or 3 inches. Thought my guy just wasn't gettin it

6. Aug 1, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    sanga700

sanga700 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Red Tacoma SR5 4x4 V6 6sp
    TRD intake Airbox,4 corners 5100 front set @ 2.5".Rear TSB,1.5" Toytec AAL,skid plate.running board, EGR in channel sun visors,Valetine one radar detector, 17x8.5 Black MB Wheels. 265/70/17 Handkook Dynapro ATM
    Markc . I got same set up as ur,but I set mine at 2.5" front and I add 1"bkock rear and stock UCA . After alignment my caster is 1.98 and I think its good, drive straight,handle well but the steerling wheel has a bit off so I'll bring my truck back the shop Tomm and have them fix alignment .
    The maximum of the adjust carter is 2.72 . If you have smallest # of the caster your steerling wheel is very light when you're on high speed which is not safe IMO.

7. Aug 1, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    markc6606

Member:
    Bucks County PA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    Thanks Sanga. yeah steering is real light especially lane changes seems to wander and drift always correcting.The higher the speed the worse it is.again my guy said he was out of adjustment on caster at 1.4 so It's good to know you got 1.98 on caster. What kind of camber numbers did you come up with?

8. Aug 4, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    silverback

silverback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    central CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5
    painted door handles, bilstein 5100's front and back, K&N air filter. Precision power component speakers and Kenwood deck.
    mark, I am about to do the same setting on my truck 1.75. I have seen and was told several times by members and a few moderators that the settings you want your truck aligned to for this 1.75 of lift is. O camber O toe and 2.4 caster.

They will tell you that your truck wont ride right but from what I hear they are going off the stock computer settings not taking in the 1.75 inches of extra height. Tell them to align it to these specs and they might have you sign off on it for suing purposes so on. Do some searching on the suspension forum and see if you can find the thread.

9. Aug 4, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:

IIRC 0*,0*,2.4*-3.1* is the stock inside the stock/factory recommended ranges.

And some shops will not take requests for certain specs to dial in on...They will get it "right" and then go from there.

10. Aug 5, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    markc6606

Member:
    Bucks County PA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    I also have found many posts on the numbers you want to shoot for. My question is, are they possible set at 1.75 withno other work done(uca;s)
    My shop told me they were out of adjustment at .7 camber 1.4 caster. Which didn't seem right. There are a lot of members with just the 5100's on their trucks.
    Can they get closer with other suspension parts stock?

11. Aug 6, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    sanga700

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD intake Airbox,4 corners 5100 front set @ 2.5".Rear TSB,1.5" Toytec AAL,skid plate.running board, EGR in channel sun visors,Valetine one radar detector, 17x8.5 Black MB Wheels. 265/70/17 Handkook Dynapro ATM
    Mark . I got 2.5" lift on all 4 corners 5100's, stock UCA . Run great , no problem at all .

12. Aug 6, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 Auto Trans With Lots of Mods King Extended Travel COs Camburg Uniball UCAs Alcan Custom 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren bumps Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor 15x8 D Window Steelies 33" BFG KM2s Limited Edition Relentless Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Rugged Ridge 3" LED Pods w/Amber covers Mini D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4500K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnaflow 18" Muffler Braided Steel Brake Lines AFE Pro Dry S air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    According to the experienced tech at the shop I go to, our trucks were designed to have a little bit of rake in their stance. Meaning, to be able to get good caster numbers with the stock UCAs the back has to be slightly higher than the front.

How much did you raise the rear when you raised the front 1.38"?

13. Aug 7, 2010 at 5:30 AM
    markc6606

Member:
    Bucks County PA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    rear came up about 1 or 1.5 inches when the rear spring tsb was done. Truck sits pretty much dead level now, which i kinda like. Hope he can find a little more adjustment in it

14. Aug 8, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    sanga700

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Mark . I got caster 2.10 , camber 1.04 and toe 002 . My truck drove straight w/o pull either left or right .Did you fix your aligment yet ?

15. Aug 9, 2010 at 2:47 AM
    markc6606

Member:
    Bucks County PA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    Not yet sanga. Gonna try and get it there wednesday after work. Fingers crossed.

16. Aug 31, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    Biff

Biff What could go wrong?

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Doublecab
    Bilstein 5100's all around, fronts set to 1.75, 18" Method Race Wheels, 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ
    I think my question fits in here and i read the above and mine sounds similar. I have billies set at 1.75 for the front and the 4 leaf pack in the back. My wheels are 285/60/18. My truck sits pretty much perfectly level. I don't have the numbers from the alignment shop.

It drives straight as an arrow on the highway and i don't feel any drift at all. Where i am feeling it is around town on streets that are slightly rutted. Any of these asphalt streets that i drive on with the ruts i can feel the truck pulling with the slope of the ruts.

I have no ideas other that going to ask a alignment shop what that is. I figured i would ask you guys so i can arm myself with some knowledge before i go. I was thinking that it might just be because my tire are big but i figured they aren't that big.

I will wright down the fact that the original specs are for a truck with the factory rake.

Any info for what i am feeling with the steering is appreciated.

17. Aug 31, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I'm sorry, but I cannot address your issue until your sentence structure falls into the parameters of grammatical acceptability......:D:D j/k

Thats all I got bro'....:D

18. Aug 31, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    Biff

Biff What could go wrong?

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Doublecab
    Bilstein 5100's all around, fronts set to 1.75, 18" Method Race Wheels, 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ
    Holy shit, for a truck site the Grammar Police sure are out in full force. I guess i had better brush up on my Shakespeare and other works by literary greats to be taken seriously on this site.

......oh wait, i didn't realize that i was being criticized by someone who was using smileys, in that case i had better start watching Hanna Montana.

Thanks bro'..... :)

19. Sep 10, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    David10MGM

David10MGM Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off Road MGM
    Camburg spindles, bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, All-pro 3in leaf, 1.5in block, 5125's
    Got mine aligned for the second time today. The best numbers I could get were .7 camber, 1.5 caster, and .05 toe. He said that the only way he could adjust my caster higher was to make my camber higher as well. Mine is lifted with spindles and 5100's set at 1.75. Was wanting my caster higher due to the wandering issue as well. I will probably end up getting some Light Racing UCA's pretty soon so I can get the ideal 0,0,2.4 specs.

20. Sep 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    markc6606

Member:
    Bucks County PA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    Just an update, I talked to the head service guy in my region. Wasn't much they could do bout eccentric being out of adjustment, but he did help me out.
    He recommended a stiffer tire like an E tire which I didnt want for weight or ride issues. the dealer hooked me up by buying back my shitty dueler HT s with 6000 miles on them for 80.00 bucks a piece.
    I ended up gettin a set of slightly larger set of hankook ATm s 265 70 17 and aired them up to 38 psi. It helped big time with highway wandering. rides and handles a lot better around town too.

To Top