1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100 post installation - ride is more solid, but awful

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by flu33ys, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Jan 14, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    I know Icon coilovers or SAW coilovers definately will not ride smoother than the Billys. They are as stiff as you can get without using a spacer. I took my Icons off even running no preload they were too much for me.

2. Jan 14, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    I am really surprised to hear that. Have they changed from Gen 1's? I had them on my '03 and loved them.

3. Jan 15, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    wow i been wondering about all of this recently...i was thinking of getting 5100s and set them to 1.75" to level out the truck....but i drive it to work everyday for 30min on the interstate going 75mph....so sounds like getting 5100s would be a bad idea...the ride is super smooth now with the black tokicos that came stock...i don't wanna mess that up...my mitsu evo ix has bilstein shocks and they are great but you do feel every bump in the road kinda.....i was just wanting to level the truck out and maybe go up a size in tires but it seems lifting it just causes too many other problems...with alignment, caster, camber, etc....why do they make new trucks with the tail up in the air anyways?...is it for aerodynamics, looks, or so it rides more level when loaded down in the back?....i don't mind it i just wish their was a lil more space between the front tires and fenders....like another inch or so would be fine...oh well guess i will be staying stock for now

4. Jan 15, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    I didn't read the thread, but to the OP, your taking a coil, and compressing it into a smaller space and then putting it back on, sure the shocks ARE better, but you made the spring tighter, doesn't take rocket science to figure out it's gona be stiff and your gona feel more bumps. it was a truck, now it's a lifted truck, it rides like a lifted truck.

5. Jan 15, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    I think this deserves a reiteration, but there is one slight difference. The spring rate between a 5100 compressing a coil the same amount as a spacer lift is going to be identical. The difference will be that the valving in the shock may be better suited to damping the oscillations of the higher spring rate. However, the "stiffness" of the spring is going to be the same with a .85" spacer and the 5100's set at .85, etc.". Progressive rate springs are called that because as you compress them the rate goes up (gets stiffer). So if they're fairly compliant for the first 1" of travel, and you compress them 1", you've now gotten to the point that in order to compress the spring it takes more force, and the ride feels stiffer. I'd say if you're looking for a better ride quality that is firm but doesn't rattle your teeth out, a properly matched coil and shock absorber is the way to go. It seems like the Eibach +1.6" coils plus the 5100's at the 0 setting are a combination that people are fairly happy with. That's the direction I'm thinking about going anyway.

The ultimate is progressive springs and bypass shocks. The bypass shock is basically a progressively valved shock, that has different damping forces depending on how much it is compressed. You could have it set up so that it was a great ride, yet once you got a couple of inches into the travel, things stiffened up so you weren't on the bumpstops when doing serious offroading. That's why the desert guys (and others) love them. All for a price though :)

I had Koni adjustable shocks and H&R sport springs on my last car, and once they were dialed in it was firm and sporty, but it didn't feel as if it was going to knock your teeth out of your skull. I agree with r12rex on his points as well.

6. Jan 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    kilgoja

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    ok i read about that too...anyone have experience with 1.6" eibachs with 5100s....how does that ride?...are there any alignment issues etc.?...how much are the eibach springs?

7. Jan 16, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    choptop

choptop Molōn labe!

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner TEP
  8. Jan 16, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    kilgoja

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    thx but i think i'm gonna go a different route....i'm thinking of getting some toytec c/o now and setting them to 1.75"....essentially the toytec c/o is a bilstein shock with the right spring matched to it......rather than trying to make your own c/o with the 5100 and eibach springs or stock springs.....i have a reg cab so no tsb needed for me and i'm fine with the rear height stock...prolly just put 5100 shocks on the rear....i just want the front end raised a bit to level it out more...prolly still have like a 1" rake front to back....if i added a leaf in the rear i'd have to go to 2.5" in the front c/o which i hear that can be harder to keep in alignment and you prolly have to buy an uca to help with that and also you can start to have cv boot wear...i just don't wanna get into all those problems....so setting the c/o at 1.75 should work for me

also run your tire pressures between 32-34....if you go 35 and up you will feel every lil bump in the road and it will seem stiff no matter what springs and shocks you have

Products Discussed in

To Top