1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100 question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by wareagle1, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Oct 31, 2012 at 6:05 AM
    wareagle1

wareagle1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fayetteville, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra DC 5.7
    notta
    Do you have to use the black plastic protector sleeves that cover the shock shafts, or can you omit these during install? I've seen some with, some without, some people say you do, some don't. I would rather not use them, but they have a little metal washer in the top and didn't know if this piece was crucial for a proper install.

2. Oct 31, 2012 at 6:12 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    You don't have to use the boots but it is recommended you do. They will keep dirt from settling on the oil seal. If you don't want to use them then just install the washer piece.

3. Oct 31, 2012 at 6:14 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    Leave them on, they protect the shock shafts from debris.

I agree with you that they look cooler without but functionality has always taken a first row seat over looks in my book.

4. Oct 31, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    +3 on using the boots. You're not gonna be any more popular and no one will really care or look under there to see if the boots aren't there. No one is gonna say wow, cool, you have bare shock shafts & chicks could care less. They just make the shocks last longer.

5. Oct 31, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    wareagle1

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fayetteville, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra DC 5.7
    notta
    Thanks for the help guys. Now if I could only find that missing boot... Looks like I'll be in contact with Bilstein for a replacement.

6. Oct 31, 2012 at 6:57 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    That is the only toss up reason to go without them. Didn't think about that being an issue but still think it'll be worth the wait to get one. Or at least score a pr of some other kind from some local parts place that would work. Wonder if the blue ones off oem TRD bilsteins would work or if body is bigger around to not work?

7. Oct 31, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    wareagle1

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fayetteville, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra DC 5.7
    notta
    Thanks T@co. I'll prolly just order me another boot from Bilstein. I have no idea what happened to the other one. Brand new in the box, we move, and now one boot short. weird...

8. Oct 31, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    wareagle1

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fayetteville, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra DC 5.7
    notta
    Just called Bistein and they are sending one free of charge.

9. Oct 31, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    I was kind of thinking they might do that. Congrats!

Products Discussed in

To Top