1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100's Install and AAL Install?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by xcmiler707, Sep 30, 2010.

1. xcmiler707

xcmiler707 [OP] Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 Limited V6
    debadged, deflapped, flowmaster 40 series, tinted windows, tinted tails, clear corners, black grill surround, deck plate mod, white led's in the dash, black stock rims, pioneer deck
    After searching the site for any insight on the how to of installing 5100's and AAL's on a first gen, I have only found threads on this for 2nd gen's. Any input would be awesome.

Also, is this something that can be done be someone that is a little mechanically inclined or better off done by a shop. I know about Mod Days but already missed out on the most recent one.

2. davidpick

davidpick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xcab 4x4 TRD
    i installed mine with my dad in my driveway a few months ago.... took about 8 hours to do with a lot of cursing because of all the rust that had formed on pretty much everything i needed to work on! :)

that said, i would totally do it again (i'm a cheap-ass who won't pay shop labor rates!). it really isn't that hard of a process, just the fact of all the rust complicated things for my install.

anything in particular you have questions about?

3. chrisx1

chrisx1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    95 4cyl 4x4 5sp
    15x8 Pro Comp Wheels w/4" backspacing, 31x10.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Bilstein 5100's set to 2.5", URD Short Throw Shifter kit, URD rear O2 sensor simulator
    I just had Billys installed on all four corners today. :)

I took it to the local tire shop and they charged me $45 to put them on. Granted, I live in BFE, and labor rates are probably cheap, but I would think you could get them installed for under $80 anywhere in the country.

Maybe I'm wrong.

By the way, my truck leveled out nicely, I don't think I will be putting the AAL on.

Chris

4. kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Here, there, and everywhere
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    If you haven't done it before and you aren't very confident in your abilities you should get the fronts done, but if you follow the 2nd gen instructions for the rear AAL's it's close to the same as our 1st gens. You might even save yourself some labor costs if you take the front's off and take them in to get the shocks changed. I installed AAL's myself and it took me, on my own with no help, probably about 5 hours total. That was working pretty slow because it was pretty damn hot out. Just do one side at a time, that way if you forget how things go together you can look at the other side.

5. 01taquito

01taquito "thats what she said"

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    san antonio
    Vehicle:
    01 pre-runner sr5 quad-cab
    Bilsteins 5100's front and back. Wheelers add a leaf
  6. VirginiaBound

VirginiaBound Whyareyoureadingthis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam I am, green eggs and ham
    North of Maine, South of Spain
    I will be installing 5100's on all four corners and an AAL in the rear. It seems that my best option is to have the front installed by a shop and install the AAL myself? How hard are the rear 5100's to install?

7. 01taquito

01taquito "thats what she said"

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    san antonio
    Vehicle:
    01 pre-runner sr5 quad-cab
    Bilsteins 5100's front and back. Wheelers add a leaf
    the rear is not bad. i did mine without any help. a good jack is a must but i think using c-clamps to keep the leaf pack together is probably the biggest time saver. also check your e-brake cable. i have heard some guys need to extend the bracket but i didnt need to. i hope that helps

To Top