1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100s ride quality better or worse than stock?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RRDave, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    RRDave

RRDave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halifax, NS
    Vehicle:
    08 Black TRD
    CAI, AT2525XL, 2.5" spacer, 1.5" AAL, DNX6140 HU c/w rearview cam, Fog Light Mod, Custom rear dog seat,
    Hi Everyone,

I've been doing alot of searching on this forum with regards to installing 5100s with the stock springs in the front and an AAL in the rear. I've been getting some contradictory results with regards to the ride quality. I guess I should note that I'm considering the fronts to be at either 1.75" or 2.5" and the rear an 1.5" AAL. Comments/Experience? Could you please comment on the rear AAL with and without 5100s.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:26 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    That's pretty hard, like comparing apples to oranges unless the shocks and suspension parts you are changing out are new. I put 5100's all around, front set at 1.75 and rear springs redone to give about the same lift(very slight rake). I would say that the ride improved but the old shocks were badly worn and there was a broken leaf in the back.

3. Jan 19, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The ride will be stiffer with the 5100's preloading the springs.

It will also be stiffer in the rear with an AAL.

4. Jan 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    Keep in mind the Off Road springs are progressive and will likely be stiffer than the Sport springs. I just say that as people will give opinions with both and that is not comparing the same thing.

Also the length of your AAL will effect your ride. I have found several different ones on different sites and they all dont post the length. I called on a few. One is as short as 21 inches and another as long as 36 inches. Wheelers I think was 24.5. Get a longer one if you want a smoother ride.

5. Jan 19, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    SR5 w/ 5100's at 2.5. Rides great...just slightly firmer than stock. Not bouncy at all. IMO the stock ride was too "floaty". If I wanted floaty I would have bought an old folks car (buick, cadi, etc)

I also have the toytec 2" AAL in the rear. I like it much better, There are some railroad tracks I used to bottom out on by my house, I dont bottom out anymore with the AAL and it actually takes them quite nicely now. Not as much bounce as I had stock.

6. Jan 19, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    remember the higher u set those 5100s the rougher ride you will get.
    I think you will also loose down travel too.

7. Jan 19, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    I was kindof wondering the same thing. I've heard if you plan on putting the fronts at 2.5" then you will want to put new coils on them. Then i also have heard people dont like the OME coils with the Bilsteins.

8. Jan 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    yea the best way to lift is to put at the 0 setting with new toytec brand coils so you actually get a suspension lift not the appearance of a lift with less suspension travel and a crappy ride.

im not bashing just passing on some info. my brother is trying to lift his truck and this is the info i am figuring out.

I hope someone with more suspension knowledge can chime in, i could be wrong about this whole thing.

9. Jan 20, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    your ride quality will not change significantly from oem if you keep your front stock springs. I believe some 2nd gen tacomas came with trd bilsteins. if you add a rear AAL, your ride quality will go down because of the added stiffness. the billies might help offset the stiffness but not by much because there is less range of motion to dampen due to the AAL.

if you install 5100's all around with no lift, you will feel a difference.

Products Discussed in

To Top