1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100's Set to 0.85 or 1.75 with TSB??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by canuck_tacoma, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Feb 26, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    canuck_tacoma

canuck_tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 Tacoma Access Cab
    1.5" Eibach Front Coil Lift, Rear TSB, 265/75/16 BFG A/T's
    Hi All, Looking for some opinions on where to set my new 5100's. I have a Access Cab 4X4 SR5 with the TSB done and will be putting in 5100's to lift the front a bit. I am running 265/70 Stocks as well.

I would like to go with 1.75, but I have a canopy and a little worried about it being lower in the rear....I like a bit of rake. Also is there any issues with the CV joints/vibration at 1.75? Do I need a dif drop?

I am leaning towards 0.85 because of the canopy weight and liking the rake. Is 0.85 enough of a lift? Those who have it did you notice a visual difference?

Pics would be greatly appreciated, or let me know if you have them in your Gallery and I will take a look. I will toss some pics of mine up once I get it done.

Thanks.

I broke out the jack and did some approx lifts with it.

Stock Height

[​IMG]

Approx 0.85 inch Lift:

Approx 1.75 inch Lift:

[​IMG]

2. Feb 26, 2009 at 12:19 PM
    muliefever

muliefever Muliefever

Member:
    Tillamook, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    14' DCSB TRD
    5100's, 887', CB, 265's, FM Deltaflow
    I am doing the same thing. I will be setting mine at 1.75"

3. Feb 26, 2009 at 1:07 PM
    canuck_tacoma

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, the 5100's seem to be the best option for a affordable mild lift.

4. Feb 26, 2009 at 3:03 PM
    visiontacoma

visiontacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Bernardino, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner TRD Sport
    URD TCAI, URD Maf Cal, NST Crankshaft Pulley, Magnaflow Muffler, 5100s w/ TSB leafs, BHLM, Anytime Foglights, Smoked Tail lights, Grillcraft, WeatherTech Floormats, Scangauge II, Custom TRD Sport Stickers, Debaged w/TRD emblem, Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors
    I set mine at .85 with the rear TSB and still have about the same rake as stock. The rear still looks pretty high but thats how i like it. I have a Dbl cab so you would get more lift from the TSB since yours is an Access cab. But since your adding a topper then it should be about the same rake as mine.
    I've noticed with the 5100s at 1.75 and the rear TSB it looks pretty level. Some pictures that I've seen with that setting looks like the front is still slightly higher. So if you still want to achieve some rake I suggest you set your 5100s at .85 and call it a day. :thumbsup:

5. Feb 26, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    what exactly does "rake" refer to?

6. Feb 26, 2009 at 3:18 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    rake is describing the back sitting a little higher than the front.

7. Feb 26, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    I also prefer a rake over totally level or rear low.

I went 1.75" and it is 2" lower in the front, but I have 280 Lbs of winch and bumper on mine. Towing a trailer is a bit tail low for me, but it works.
    If I were going to go with a just a TSB, which I only got 1" from in the rear after settling, I'd set mine at .85".

More rake is better than butt draggin' in my opinion.

8. Feb 26, 2009 at 3:57 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    so if I wanted to reset my bilsteins up front, would that do anything to the alignment like throw it out of whack? not tryin to jack the tread just figured it was a relevant question

9. Feb 26, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    This is a cure all for these 5100 setting questions.
    Just park in an empty parking lot and use you jack to lift the front to the desired heights. Take a picture from a camera on a tripod, take them home and see what you like. It's so much preference, I'm just getting tired of these.

10. Feb 26, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Yes, Any time you make a change to your front end.You should get an alignment.

11. Feb 26, 2009 at 5:37 PM
    canuck_tacoma

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    You will have to get the srtut out and have the spring compressed to make the change, just get the shop to do the alignment after it's changed. I think it would only be abut 80 bucks.

12. Feb 26, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    canuck_tacoma

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I am going to break out the jack, unfortunately it won't address the cv joint angle question. Also the actuall lifts aren't always as they are advertised so I was just looking for some input before I did it. Plus there was only one that I could find who did the 0.85 so I was looking for others that did that setting.

Do you have the 5100's on the truck in the picture with the boat?? Nice boat by the way.

13. Feb 26, 2009 at 5:49 PM
    canuck_tacoma

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input. Did you see a noticable visual difference from stock to the 0.85 lift? What was the actual lift? 1 inch?

14. Feb 26, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    After reading my post I feel I was a bit harsh. Even if you didn't read it that way. I didn't mean it to be!

I got within 1/8" of the advertised 1.75" and from what I've read, all the height settings are right on par.
    The best part of the 5100's are if you do the install yourself, it only takes about and Hr. to change the height on both sides once you know the drill.
    I lost an wee bit more than an inch from the winch in the front. Most measurements you'll find (including mine) are measured from the wheel wells. From my opinion, the rear fender is cut higher on the body line and when they are both at the same height, the truck looks tail low.
    Also, when you get an alignment, get the Firestone lifetime alignment package. It costs twice as much, but after the second alignment, it's paid for itself. I get mine done quite a bit because I'm stupid and hit things in the fields I drive. Just FYI, don't mention you have any aftermarket parts, they seem to be a little weary of that.

And for the boat picture, thanks for the comment!
    I had to look at the original on my computer to see when it was taken, and it was bone stock at that time.

15. Feb 26, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    Canuck,

After looking at the pics you added to the OP, I still like the .85 setting!
    the 1.75 is level in the wells, but when I look at the bed line, it looks slightly low and if you tow a trailer, it'll just weight it down more.
    Again, thats all just my pref!!:D I tow a trailer often, as well.

16. Feb 26, 2009 at 10:49 PM
    visiontacoma

Member:
    San Bernardino, CA
    Vehicle:
    URD TCAI, URD Maf Cal, NST Crankshaft Pulley, Magnaflow Muffler, 5100s w/ TSB leafs, BHLM, Anytime Foglights, Smoked Tail lights, Grillcraft, WeatherTech Floormats, Scangauge II, Custom TRD Sport Stickers, Debaged w/TRD emblem, Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors
    There is a definite visual difference. I didnt measure but I would say about an inch of lift. I see that you added pictures now and at the ".85 setting" doesnt look like much of a lift. But also be aware that the front will raise up just a tad bit higher once you get the rear TSB done.

17. Feb 27, 2009 at 12:01 AM
    canuck_tacoma

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Here's the same but with the Flash which shows a bit more.

Stock with TSB
    [​IMG]

Sim. 0.85 with TSB

Sim. 1.75 with TSB

18. Feb 27, 2009 at 12:07 AM
    canuck_tacoma

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    No worries, I half expected a lot of "use the Search" from people. I am liking the .85 more and more. It does seem like they cut the rear fenders higher to give the illusion of rake even thought the body is somewhat level. If you see the pics I posted with Flash it is really noticable. I like the rake so I will start with the .85 and if it's too low then I will adjust them later. It sits lower when I put the sandbags in, which I usually run with in the winter. I thought it was over so I took them out and it snowed today.

19. Feb 27, 2009 at 12:10 AM
    canuck_tacoma

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I actually have the 4 leaf pack in and blue/yellow bilsteins all around. If you check out the pics with Flash it is more noticable. I think the canopy lowers it a bit in the rear. Plus I had sand bags in all winter so it may have mellowed the rear springs a bit.

I am going to go with the .85 setting, I like to have some rake in the truck. I am not really into jacking it up, just want to make it more balanced.

20. Feb 27, 2009 at 8:37 AM
    visiontacoma

Member:
    San Bernardino, CA
    Vehicle:
    It looks like the canopy lowered the rear more then I thought. The truck sits pretty level with the .85 setting. Do you have anything in the bed when taking those pictures? The reason I ask is because you may be sitting nose high at the .85 setting with load in the bed, especially when you accelerate. To me the stock setting looks better for your application, considering you like the raked look. I thought I ran across a post in a 5100s thread that you still get a little lift at the stock setting from the 5100s.

Products Discussed in

To Top