1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6.5" front and rear door adapters

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JBTuncc, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Nov 30, 2009 at 6:13 PM
    JBTuncc

JBTuncc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Does anybody have any good adapters besides *********. I'm trying to avoid spending that much money on mdf or plastic. I'm just wondering if there are any more options?

2. Nov 30, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    You could always PM Mr Marv. He makes some good ones

3. Nov 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    RAMZAK

RAMZAK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD 4-DR PreRunner
    Make your own. Just need a sheet of mdf and jigsaw (that you can always return to store after use).

Or MrMarv on th audio forums here sells them

4. Nov 30, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    JBTuncc

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    His look great but still 35.00 plus shipping. I may attempt to build my own or find some locally. Unless there are any cheaper suggestions... Thanks for the help!!!

5. Nov 30, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    What exactly are you looking for? Do materials matter? Or are you just trying to find the cheapest you can find?

6. Dec 1, 2009 at 3:05 AM
    JBTuncc

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    I want to do it right, i just don't want to have 80-90 dollars invested in adapters to make speakers fit. I'm sure I'll end up buying the good ones, but I just wanted to see if there were anymore options.

7. Dec 1, 2009 at 4:45 AM
    ENIGMA206

ENIGMA206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Bay, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 Off-Road DC
    Tunes Tonneau On-board Air Firestone Air Bags
    I just dropped a bunch of $$$ on my speaker adaptors too. After getting them I realized how easy and CHEAP it would have been to make them myself. It's easy enough to take a front and rear speaker to use as a pattern. Get some 1/2", 3/4" or in my case 1" MDF. Draw the outer perimeter of the speaker mount. Cut it out with a jigsaw. Cut out the center. $10 tops invested.

I'm so disappointed in the PVC ones I bought that I am going to make my own. Even with foam tape applied, the PVC still has flex and doesn't seal well. They buzz when speakers are driven hard. Stay with thick MDF. Just my take on my experience.

ryanbitt likes this.
  8. Dec 1, 2009 at 5:20 PM
    JBTuncc

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Awesome. Thanks for the replies. I was thinking I could make my own, I'm just very lazy. But, I do love money... I'm going to try to make my own and go from there.

9. Dec 2, 2009 at 8:48 AM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    How soon do you need them, I am headed in that same direction. When I make mine I could just replicate them if there is interest.

10. Dec 2, 2009 at 9:08 AM
    automoto

automoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    jersey shore
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4X4 AC
    I'm starting to think it would be waaaay cheaper to just buy the mdf board and do it myself, the only thing holding me back is the measurements for the pieces. Not exactly sure what to do, or how to get the inner hole that the speaker would fit into.

11. Dec 2, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    tacomarock

tacomarock Well-Known Member

Member:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Dec 2, 2009 at 12:17 PM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    Tacomarock

Those are for only the 6x9 mounting baffles. The whole set through them is $103. Check out *********.com

13. Dec 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    tacomarock

tacomarock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry man . . . I did not see that, I just saw the picture of the adapter mounts. It looks like the kit includes bolts and wire harnesses. I don't think I need those since I will need new speaker wires run for the bigger system. Looks like you can get just the adaptor mounts also.

14. Dec 2, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    JBTuncc

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    As far as measurements, the speakers will come with a template to show you how they mount. The only thing you'd have to measure is the hole in the truck and you could just trace it and use that as a template. I'm just lazy....

15. Dec 3, 2009 at 10:39 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    go to your local home improvement store. buy a sheet and cut some out. they don't have to be perfectly oval and look pretty to get the job done. once you put them in, nobody is going to see them.

16. Dec 3, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
  17. Dec 3, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I just made my own out of some 1/4" MDF I had in the garage. Took the stock 6X9 speaker and traced it onto the MDF, marked the holes for the screws. Then took the new 6.5" speaker and traced the size it needed to be. Took out the jigsaw and the drill and went to town. Then I used a little spray paint to seal them up. Cost me $0 since I had the materials laying around. I build furniture and use 1/4" MDF for the drawer bottoms so I have a lot scraps laying around.

18. Dec 4, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    JTDTacoma

JTDTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Just made my own- had a jigsaw and dremel hole cutter already. Most 6.5" speakers use a 5" diameter cut-out which was easy. Only question I have is how to seal the brackets to the doors. Is there some caulk/tape stuff that works and where to get it? Radio shack?? Right now I have a gap because of the bolt-holes in the door are raised.

19. Dec 4, 2009 at 7:18 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I actually put some dynamat on the doors around the speaker opening and that sealed up that gap. I'm sure you could use some caulk or something.

20. Dec 4, 2009 at 1:38 PM
    JBTuncc

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Somebody on here mentioned some strip caulk from lowe's. looks like it would work great.

Products Discussed in

To Top