1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6" lift, can I leave brake dust shields off?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by clintonjeffries, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Aug 28, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    clintonjeffries

clintonjeffries [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    6" stage 1 Procomp lift, 18" matte black XD Monsters, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AMP Research Electric Steps, Grillcraft upper and lower grill, Paint matched tailgate handle, Black headlights w/ black corners & reflectors, 6k HID in heads and fogs, tint, RED badges, red brake calipers, black brake drums, flowmaster exhaust, black shorty antenna, remote start, iPod interface, Weathertech floormats front and rear
    Almost done installing a pro comp stage 1 6" lift

When bolting the wheel bearing and hub onto the new beefier knuckle, the stock dust brake shield doesn't fit correctly, it will bend it out slightly and the brake rotor rubs against it a lot... anyone have this same problem on an install?

Are you supposed to leave the brake shield off? bend the shit out of it? haha

2. Aug 28, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    You can bend it to fit I believe. But I just installed some spindles last night with two buddies. And the consensus was to leave them off.

3. Aug 29, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    clintonjeffries

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    6" stage 1 Procomp lift, 18" matte black XD Monsters, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AMP Research Electric Steps, Grillcraft upper and lower grill, Paint matched tailgate handle, Black headlights w/ black corners & reflectors, 6k HID in heads and fogs, tint, RED badges, red brake calipers, black brake drums, flowmaster exhaust, black shorty antenna, remote start, iPod interface, Weathertech floormats front and rear
    Right on thanks, got them to fit with the help of a hammer!

4. Aug 29, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    burr

burr Member

Member:
    batonrouge,la
    Vehicle:
    00 tacoma
    I'm not sure about these trucks,but my camaro's rear dust shields were called backing plates and they hold the parking break cable.

5. Aug 29, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    clintonjeffries

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    There are no dust brake shields or backing plates on the rear of taco's because they have drum brakes. The fronts are disc though.

6. Dec 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    allineman

allineman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Prattville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma made in USA
    2 inch body lift, 4 in suspension lift, superchipped, with a flowmaster and duals. No cats or Emmisions...
    My 95.5 has the shields.... well, they're on there until the morning;-) About to remove all of them during my bearing replacement!

Products Discussed in

To Top