1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6 speed cruise control bug

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sechsgang, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Jun 3, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Pushing in the clutch does not wear out the clutch disk. The Pressure plate disengages the clutch disk when the pedal is depressed. In theory it can wear out the throwout bearing sooner, however I have yet to have it happen to me and I will sometimes leave it in gear at lights and keep the pedal depressed. I did the same with my last vehicle that had 210k Miles and didn't have any clutch problems on it either. Everyone tends to believe everything they hear from others.

Also, this has been discussed before...while it is EXTREMELY MINISCULE, you actually save gas while coasting in gear vs. coasting in nuetral.

2. Jun 3, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    I did not say ride the brake. I said use it. If the brake cannot maintain the correct speed, I can put back in gear to use the transmission for braking, but I have yet to need it.

3. Jun 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Agree on all accounts.

4. Jun 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    Also, this has been discussed before...while it is EXTREMELY MINISCULE, you actually save gas while coasting in gear vs. coasting in neutral.

Was a study done on this, a myth buster episode. I would think friction added by the gears would lower MPG by a very little amount but still lower.

5. Jun 3, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    sechsgang

sechsgang [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    I am not really coasting for gas savings, but what you are saying is true in general, but not in all cases. When coasting in gear, the computer can pretty much almost entirely shut off the gas supply because the engine is turned by your wheels, while when in neutral, you still need gas to keep the engine running (idling).
    There are a few assumtions in this though, and what is not taken into account here is that when you coast in gear, the engine brakes, making you slower in some cases. This may be desired in many downhill scenarios, but not always. Take this example: on my way to work, there is a loooong hill with a medium slope, speed limit is 50mph. When I start out on top at 45mph and put the truck in neutral, I end up at the bottom going 52-53mph. Now if I try to coast down in 6th gear, the truck will slow down on that hill, meaning I'd need to accelerate (even downhill) to maintain speed.
    While it probably is again a miniscule difference, I am convinced that in this case coasting in neutral uses less gas.

Products Discussed in

To Top