1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6 Speed grinding

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by rmerchant3, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Jun 20, 2010 at 1:07 PM
    rmerchant3

rmerchant3 [OP] Insert nonsense here

Member:
    Anyone else have a problem with there 05 and up grinding when going from 5th to 6th? I had a 05' traded in to my dealer a while back that did this no matter what. Slow, fast, clutch all the way in, half way out...whatever. Mine would do it every now and then, but now it's doing it every time at highway speeds. I have an appointment on tuesday to get it checked. (im still under powertrain) I was just wondering if this was common. I would say it is the syncros.

2. Jun 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    rmerchant3

Member:
    Anyone?

3. Jun 20, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    rmerchant3

Member:
    I thought it would be a common thing....hmmm

4. Jun 23, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    rmerchant3

Member:
    Took it to the dealer. They think it is the syncros (of course it is) and are tearing into the trans. I asked about a loaner and they said that they had to tear the trans apart first and verify that its the syncros before they could get approval. Sounds like bs to me, but we will see.

5. Jul 11, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    rmerchant3

Member:
    Update

So I got a loaner after Toyota decided what action to take. They decided to rebuild the trans and replace the syncros instead of the whole trans. Sounded good to me. They had my truck for a total of two weeks and two days. But They gave me a nice loaner so I wasn't complaining, just missing my truck. Everything feels great and I suspect they did a good job for what little I have driven it thus far. I met the tech while getting some things from the truck and he seemed very knowledgeable. The advisor was feeding me BS here and there, but it's all part of the job so I let it slide. Kudos for Toyota and their warranty!

6. Apr 6, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    bigfro

bigfro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCSB
    Billy 5100 @ 1.85 + shim on L for Taco Lean Icon AAL 3 pack w Rear Overload Removed
    Sigh.

Same problem here.

Mine has 78k on it now and after they tore into the trans they discovered numerous problems. 3 of the syncro's are wasted, bearings are sloppy, and everything is out of spec.

It has been shifting bad since 54k but toyota stated that there was no issue back then.

It would pop out of 4th gear, grind going into third, and sound bad as well. Also I had done 5 TOB on this trans due to the issues with the TOB. (then that awesome sleeve came out....

Anyways.
    That is the parts list from the 05.

There have been several part changes including the syncro's input shaft and output shaft. All have issues in the 05's. This will become a major issue when people start hitting the 100k mark guaranteed. The 05 Transmissions were terrible.

Since then there have been 2 revisions of the 6speed. One in 07 and one later in 09.

If you don't believe me pull the part numbers, the current trans ends in a 2 (which is the revision).

Anyways I am glad they covered yours.

They elected to cover 1/2 of a new transmission for me. The total out of my pocket for this event will be 2285.... I have already spent thousands on TOB's....

Not that toyota is total crap now-a-days. But the 05's Did have some major issues... Trans/Rear Diff/Compass Display/ General build quality was poor in comparison to the 04.

Awesome thing about this is the following

Trans-Parts.jpg

Attached Files:

Products Discussed in

To Top