1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6 Speed issue, Help!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ese Loco, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Mar 9, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    Ese Loco

Ese Loco [OP] Taco Man Sam

Member:
    Vero Beach, FL / Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4 V6 6-speed
    Legal Florida Tint all-around, 1.5" add-a-leaf, bilstein 5100 rear shocks, Light Racing Coilovers, Removed secondary air filter, K&N airfilter, Amsoil 100% synthetic motor oil, Amsoil synthetic severe gear in rear differential, Differential breather mod, Painted rims and logo's black, amsoil oil filter
    Hey,
    Alright here is my issue. I have a 2009 4x4 DC with a 6 speed transmission and i'm having a problem that seems similar to the throwout bearing but no one has described it exactly like my issue. This is what sometimes happens when reversing.

1. Turn the truck on and put into reverse.

2. As i clutch out with no gas to reverse I will hear a loud and sudden grinding sound that almost sounds like taking a grinder to a piece of wood.

3. The sound is accompanied by my wheels losing complete power from the engine. I then push the clutch in and proceed to let it out again and it works fine.

I know this is a kinda lamens terms way to say it but just trying to describe it as best i can. I suspect it has to do with something slipping in the transmission as if the synchro might not be catching? (<<attempt at explaining it haha) I'm just looking for any ideas from you guys so when i go into the dealer i don't look like an idiot if i can't recreate it. It seems to more so happen when the weather is cold but its nothing i can completely predict as to when it is going to happen. Thanks for any advice. :D

2. Mar 9, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
  3. Mar 9, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    Ese Loco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Legal Florida Tint all-around, 1.5" add-a-leaf, bilstein 5100 rear shocks, Light Racing Coilovers, Removed secondary air filter, K&N airfilter, Amsoil 100% synthetic motor oil, Amsoil synthetic severe gear in rear differential, Differential breather mod, Painted rims and logo's black, amsoil oil filter
    I honestly don't believe thats it because nothing has every happened when i have tried to go forward. Only reverse.

4. Mar 9, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    If it's still under warranty take it in. Let the dealer determine the cause.

5. Mar 9, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Does the shifter stay fully in the reverse channel??

Cause I was having a problem that was similar- Bad bushing and some damaged forks in the transmission.

They replaced the bushing and then found the deeper problem with the forks- Took them forever to get the parts in....They are going to be replacing those parts early next week.

Side note- How many miles you have??

6. Mar 9, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    Ese Loco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have around 14000 miles. Its been going on for a bit, maybe 1000 miles after i got it but since it rarely happens and bein at school and not having the time to take it in has just delayed me from gettin it looked at.

7. Mar 9, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Hmm....Different from mine a little bit. Mine started about 2500 miles ago and it got progressively worse- to the point that it could not be held into the reverse slot.

I'm with Dex- Give it to dealership...Make them fix it.

8. Dec 6, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    Shaydog

Shaydog Got the itch!

Member:
    Raincity BC
    Vehicle:
    08 DblCab 4x4
    OME885's, Toytec Top Plate Spacers, OME N140S, OME N182, TSB AAL's. 265/75R16 Interco TrXus MT's, IGGEE Seat Covers, Bed Mat, Tow Pkg, LEER Legend Cap, Pop-n-Lock, Hi-Lift with custom bed rail mount, Window Vent Visors. Grillcraft, Daystar Driving Lights.
    Take it to a dealer so they can tell you it's your fault, but they are willing to diagnose the problem so long as you pay the bill if it's deemed not to be a warranty issue. It's only $800 right.

Signed, Jaded AHole

To Top