1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6 speed issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cudason, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
  2. Oct 4, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    ffemt2987

ffemt2987 Shut up Hippie!

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Golden
    Vehicle:
    Cement 3rd gen that was supposed to stay stock
    Rack, sliders, softopper, tjm bumper, eibach temp suspension
    yeah popping out of gear is a problem.... but, I think it happens if I am lazy with a shift. SO... maybe it's just operator error. :)

3. Oct 4, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    i think there should be a sticky, ONE THREAD for this issue, and have everyone who is having the issue add their name to the list. if the fj guys could do the same on their page maybe we can somehow get together and get this taken care of as a group

4. Oct 4, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
  5. Jan 30, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    cudason

cudason [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TURD
    Eagle Alloy 050 series wheels. TRD fj shift knob Bilstein 5100 set @1.75 TRD CAI TRD seatcovers 2009 Taillights Xenon HID kit
    Just did th estage III clutch with the urd tans sleeve. Too jerky fOr me. If I had a supercharger. Lol

6. Jan 30, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    anrima

anrima Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 DC 6 Spd
    AFE Pro Dry S, Flowmaster
    Subscribed - bought the truck a week ago - no issues all week and now it's doing it. Probably was quietly lurking. I'm at 65k so no TSB/Warranty for me. Anyone heard if they are going to make this an extended warranty issue?

7. Jan 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    For people who are out of warranty, I wonder how much the TSB would cost.

8. Jan 30, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    TSB states this is a 60K or 5 year powertrain warranty issue. If you are very polite at the dealership and tell them you know this is an issue, you might get it covered? I got my entire clutch replaced at 50K and just under 5 years, free of charge. I have no idea if it's going to last since this was before the TSB, but so far so good. I was still under powertrain warranty, but the clutch was supposed to be a 3/36 issue. Worth a try, ask if the regional rep would be willing to check your truck out for possible goodwill work. In my case, the rep came to the dealership and test drove my truck, then approved throw out bearing and clutch if necessary.

9. Jan 30, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2

Five hours of labor according to Alldata Diy manual. So that's 500 bucks at dealer rate, plus parts. Maybe 650-700? If you do the whole clutch, probably closer to 1000. For some reason, the six speed clutch seems to be made of gold, parts are twice what the four banger price is.

10. Jan 30, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    I think that's the first one I've heard of that the sleeve didn't fix the noise. Did you ask URD about it?

11. Jan 31, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    MARC

MARC Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Lake Norman NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Im in the same sinking boat as cudason. I replaced my clutch in oct. with the cc stage III and replaced my t o bearing with the sleeve and after two weeks the squeak came back and clutch has a terrible shrill chatter when i am in higher rpms taking off and the clutch is cold. (anyone else have this issue?) I called cc and they said the clutch is not broken in yet and to get on a hill and burn the clutch in a little until i smell it?! It did not work and the sreaking persists.
    I guess ill pull the tranny again and grease the hell out of the t o bearing put my stock clutch back in (seing how it was barely worn down at 100k) and replace my clutch release fork support and clutch release cylinder as shown in the tsb.

12. Jan 31, 2011 at 2:57 PM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...

I have this kit and all issues are gone. Thanks for all the work you did on this SnowBoarder. I followed all your posts on the other forums and this brought me a lot of peace of mind. Best mod I've ever done on the Taco. Looking at these pictures, it really pisses me off how Toyota is so fooking stupid to deny that there are not issues. I had a case with HQ and talked to them on the phone but it was like listening to some bs ho on a recording telling me she had the engineers on the other line at the same time she was talking to me. I asked her to let me talk to the engineers directly and she said that was not possible. Perhaps I should print these pics on my color laser printer and fed ex them to HQ. Assholes.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

13. Jan 31, 2011 at 10:49 PM
    miketv

miketv Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR 6spd
    comming soon!
    My T/O bearing started chirping and making noise a couple of weeks ago, took it to the dealer and they opened a case w/Toyota. Toyota America said that they would not do anything until it got worse considering the truck has "only" 8900mi on the ticker. Kinda wondering what the low mileage has to do with fixing a problem :(, I'm more than a little disappointed with the response from the home office.

14. Feb 1, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...
    Mike, that is total donkey shit!!! The reason why they are not doing it, is b/c they are aware of it and know the word is out in the tacoma community. The same goes for the fj which I believe is the same or similar tranny.

Ride it a bit and then go again and again. If that dealer says not sale, then go to another. When you find the one that will, get that PDM kit overnight and have the mechanic install that kit. My 07 started this crap around 26-27K and they only fussed once. That is when I showed them 2 inches of printouts from several forums. They ordered the same parts but when it came time to do it, I asked to be next to the truck to see it done...I told the mechanic to install my PDM kit. The mechanic was very cool and when he saw the part, he said that this is what Toyota needs to put out as a replacement. He was well aware of the issues on the tranny, but kept tight lips until he saw my kit for the first time. He was more excited than I.

The trk is now around 34k and no issues. Ever.

Good luck.

15. Feb 1, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    miketv

miketv Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR 6spd
    comming soon!
    Yeah, I thought it was a load too as I've been a service person for over 25yrs and I've always handled customers differently when they have a real issue. The problem is I don't usually have the time to dick with this over & over again and to be honest, I'm a little pissed that a truck w/under 50k miles has this problem. Particularly, with a brand new truck that the bank and I choked up $30k for this past May. Sometimes I wish I had kept my 2000 Taco and just fixed the frame.
    I think the PDM kit is a great solution and will look into it. But I guess this begs the question: Why the hell does an owner have to fork out their own time and money to fix something that should have NEVER been an issue in the first place?

16. Feb 2, 2011 at 5:44 AM
    bLaCkMETALTaCoMA

bLaCkMETALTaCoMA tacomood

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergio
    Paraguay, South America
    Vehicle:
    Short Bed 06 TRD Sport 6 Speed Manual 4.0 V6
    ---Murdered Out--- **********-.tactical Unit Calibrated to KiLL.-*********** -Debadged -RBP Grille RX Black -RBP Black Plate Frame -RBP Eshaust Adapter 3.5" Black Tip, Two Tone Logo w/ Red Star -Blacked Out Third brake light, Radiator frames, skid plate. -Pioneer + Backup Camera -33 Mud Grappler + 20 Inch RockStars -Bulletproof side windows -AT35 Tint Front & AT15 Tint All Corners -K&N Air Intake -TRD Skid Plate -Aftermarket Angel Eyes Headlights + T-Rex Eyelids -Rear LED Lights -URD short shift knob -Billies 5100 all around, front set @ 0.85 w/ eibach coils + 1.5 AAL + Total Chaos UCA's -Redline hood and back door struts -Flex Pod Gauge Mount (volts & oil temperature)
  17. Feb 2, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    gonzo6up

gonzo6up Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle Tn
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma SR5 4x4 sport
    tint/ vent visors/ seatbelt chime mod/ DTRL Mod
    well i'm in the same boat now too. I've got around 64k miles and my throwout bearing is chirping a little too. Hell my 97 tacoma had 195K miles on it and the original clutch?????.

18. Sep 27, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    dimitrik

dimitrik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dimitri
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD-Offroad
    AllPro Skidplate
    Is the chirping noticeable? Do you have to listen for it or does it overwhelm the other noise? I hear a kind of slight whistle when i'm on second gear, but it might be a chirp... Not sure... It's very low. I'm at 35k miles.

19. Sep 27, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    i may have this problem? i have noticed a noise that sounds like a vibration but nothing is vibrating. it happens when i have the clutch in while in gear and pressing the break? i have only heard it a few times and i have 45,000 miles on my 06 DC 6 speed. anyone else noticed that or is that something different entirely?

Products Discussed in

To Top