1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6 speed manual any good?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mark350, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Feb 14, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Get the 6-speed and welcome to TW!!!

2. Feb 14, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    ^^ Thats what I like to hear. The only Tacoma available in manual now is the 4x4, I'm sure that will disappear soon as well.

3. Feb 14, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    dimitrik

dimitrik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dimitri
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD-Offroad
    AllPro Skidplate
    No draw backs. Squeaky clutch aside.

Just remember that it is not a manual tranny for doing drag. Treat it right and it will be nice and smooth just for you. Just don't let idiots drive it!

4. Feb 14, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    BlazeTaco

BlazeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    4.0l 6sp SR5
    TRD Exhaust TRD Filter
    eh, I like the 6speed. you can get mileage out of it if you drive it right. I get between 18 and 19mpg on country roads and 20 to 21mpg on the highway. As far as the rpm hanging between gears, my dads 04 GMC 4.8L 5speed 1500 does the same thing, so its not just our trucks. the biggest complant i have is the ratio gap between 1st and 2nd. other than thats its pretty good.

5. Feb 15, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    SepticTank

SepticTank Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    I've test drove both, and the clutch felt heavy, but as I learned from ever knowledgeable people on TW that the bigger the truck the heavier the clutch. I did find the stick sluggish but I agree that once its broken in, it will be easier to shift.
    Now for my personal experience, my first 3 cars were all manual (2 Honda Preludes and a Dodge Dakota). Then I went to a Suzuki Grand Vitara auto, I hated the auto, I found myself missing the stick soo much. So I'm still waiting on my truck to get in b/c I had to order it, but I'm looking forward to driving manual again.

6. Jan 5, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    rocky8765

rocky8765 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jay
    Rancho Cordova
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner SR5
    blhm, leds interior, satoshi and color matched grill, plastic dipped valance and bumper, maglight mod, painted engine cover, debadged, alpine single bin stereo MP3,
    have 6 speed manual and i love it. I know people say the auto gets better gas mileage but by 1 or 2 mpg which to me is nothing. However I have no mods done under the hood or bigger tires I get 300 to the tank when i drive around town 17-18 mpg, but when i go on trips hwy driving my last tank was 19.2 mpg and the best tank i ever had was 22.7 mpg and 410 before the gas light came on 70mph all the way. This to me sounds ever bit as good gas mileage even though rpm runs higher as the auto, plus an auto is borring to drive. BAM

7. Jan 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    SPENCAF

SPENCAF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Shiloh, IL
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO 4X4
    AFE Pro dry filter, AttennaX, bed liner on front skid plate, AVID sliders, AVID light bar, KONG Storage Box, OME 2.5" 885 coils 1.5" AAL 265/75R16 Guard Dawgs
    glade to hear all the positives on the 6 speed, I was a little nervous about ordering my truck with it but I do love the manuals! Now I just have to wait for it to be delivered.

8. Jan 5, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    I bet you'll be happy with it.

I do know one thing, the 6 speed is a LOT of fun to drive in the snow if you have four wheel drive! That is, if you're lucky enough to get one without the cold shifting issues. Unfortunately the clutch can get a bit grabby on takeoff in 2WD though.

Coming from Hondas I questioned my decision for the first couple months driving this thing. Once I learned its quirks it became easy to drive, and really I enjoy it now.

As for mileage, last tank's week in a nutshell... first drove an hour and a half on the interstate, then return trip faced a 30 mph sustained headwind, then a foot of snow fell and I put on over 50 miles in 4WD, and it started warming up and got over 30F for the first time today right before I filled it up... 19.9 mpg. Definitely acceptable considering I don't have cruise control yet.

9. Jan 5, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    I wish I had of gone with a 6 speed but the wife surprised me with the truck and she doesn't like manuals so....

10. Jan 5, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    no problems here :D

11. Jan 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    Dhawk1313

Dhawk1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5
    Clear Corners, Clear Turn Signals, Pioneer Headunit, Kenwood speakers up front, Alpines in back, Billy 5100's front + rear, Toytec AAL, Eibach/Toytec Coilovers, Toytec Diff drop, Smoked taillights
    +1 to manual.

12. Jan 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    agree :D. only nannies drive automatic's in a truck

13. Jan 5, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You have more control in snow in an automatic

14. Jan 5, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    yea but what about when you try to brake and abs goes on it is easier to throw it in neutral in a stick.

15. Jan 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I drive mine towing a travel trailer in 6th so maybe towing with the 6 is better then the auto because of the O/D lock out for towing with the auto? I don't know what an auto turns at highway out of O/D. Any way towing mileage sucks towing regardless no matter what the trans. Bottom line I like my 6 spd it gives me far more control in adverse conditions.

16. Jan 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    If you are trying to brake , why would you want to put it in neutral ?

17. Jan 5, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    Autos in the snow are much easier to stop when they're in neutral because you don't have to fight the tranny that's wanting to push the car forward. I lived in a very heavy lake-effect snow area until about six years ago, and I would often put my autos in neutral when trying like hell to stop.

18. Jan 5, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I gear down as I approach the braking area , especially for decents in 4x4

19. Jan 5, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Manuals are easier to slow down. Just back off the gas and use engine braking to slow it down quicker than an auto that's not directly linked to the engine. Unless you're on a steep hill or pushing the gas the RPMs will drop slowing you down. My wife downshifts her auto rav4 more than I downshift the manual truck to slow down. Truck is heavier with larger tires yet slows faster when I left off the gas than the car does.

My wife's auto rav4 launches forward when you tap the gas and the tranny kicks in. There's no easing the clutch out and slowly applying power. There is no-go and go. Period. It's actually caught me by surprise a few times and I've had to hit the brakes quickly. With the truck I can also force it to start in a higher gear to prevent wheel spin (2nd instead of first). Show me how you can do that with an auto.

20. Jan 5, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    Omar

Omar Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Access Cab
    Except for a few cars way back in the day I have driven mostly manuals my whole life. My 97 is a manual and one of the definates when I pick out the 2012 is manual trans.
    As for the gf/wife thing I'm actually backwards from most of you. Every car she's ever owned, that includes race cars, has been a manual and she will not drive an automatic; she even told me if I get one of those sissy autos I can't park on the driveway. So in my case if I don't want her to drive it i'd have to get an auto, haha! But I like her driving on long trips so I can sleep :D
    But I was wondering why the lit shows better milage on the auto, it's usually the other way around???? Now that I have read what you guys said about the gearing it makes sense. Too bad you can't pick your choice of gearing like the Fords

Products Discussed in

To Top