1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6-Speed Manual VS. 5-Speed Automatic on the V6

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kiteboarder, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Nov 15, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    MrsPib

MrsPib Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTAS, TOYOTAS EVERYWHERE
    They fibbed. Another Cali customer just confirmed that 2012 DC 6-speeds are available in CA.

2. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    smuggiesrider

smuggiesrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD Off-Road DCSB AT
    TRD 2" Lift kit w/ PRO Grille swap package ARE CX Classic Cap Sumitomo Encounter AT 265/75/16 tires TRD Pro wheels Predator steps Frame salt protection spray Weather Tech floor Mats and rainguards Wet Okole Seat Covers Bedmat Black exhaust tip Bed light LED kit Tailgate mat Eyecatcher tailgate letters Yoda cover for tow hitch and steering wheel Decals for grille, glove box, badges $$$$$$
    I couldn't have said it better myself! ditto :rolleyes:

3. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    You're going to get every kind of answer here.

Well, here's mine: I've got the 6 speed in my Tacoma and the auto in my FJ. They each have their place. I towed a trailer from WA to CO behind the FJ/auto... and I'll never do it again. I will ONLY tow with the 6 speed manual. WAY too much hunting for the right gear in the automatic. I was continually upshifting and downshifting and it was incredibly irritating. Towing behind the 6 speed manual is far better. The auto is nice in traffic, the manual is nice most of the rest of the time. My personal preference is the manual if I could only have one. Much more control and there's no "mushiness" of an auto transmission as it figures out what you're trying to do with the gas pedal, brake pedal and all the incoming data from the ECM or whatever. The 6 speed is much more positive feeling to me, with less messing around and less to go wrong. Treat it right and it will treat you right. Somebody told me the other day they bought an auto trans because "it's better off-road than a manual"... which I DON'T get at all.

Buy what you want and be happy. Life's too short as it is.

Roger

4. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    kiteboarder

kiteboarder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    Hey Roger, thanks so much for that. That comparison is great because the FJ is more other "candidate" (although the Taco is winning).

You might have read my signature. I won't be towing right this second, but eventually yes.

5. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Automatic's are worth more, they are easier to drive, they need less maintenance, you can drive one with a broken foot, they are easier to resell, they do all things a stick does only better, they are easier to plow with, they are easier to tow with, they cause less aggravation in traffic, they drive smoother, and they are better all around for everything.

6. Feb 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    Moushigo

Moushigo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KC
    Los Angeles
    Sooo final verdict, is the 2012 6 speed double cab sold in Cali?

7. Feb 3, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    Dhawk1313

Dhawk1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5
    Clear Corners, Clear Turn Signals, Pioneer Headunit, Kenwood speakers up front, Alpines in back, Billy 5100's front + rear, Toytec AAL, Eibach/Toytec Coilovers, Toytec Diff drop, Smoked taillights
    Sooo many false statements in one post. It hurtssssss

DaytonaTaco likes this.
  8. Feb 3, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    kiteboarder

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    Yes... In very low quantities, but yes. Might want to special order.

9. Feb 3, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Agreed.

10. Feb 3, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    There are minor advantages / disadvantages to either tranny .

Get whatever you are comfortable with .

11. Feb 3, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    You sir seem very misinformed. Have you ever driven a standard transmission?

I have the 6 speed transmission in my DC SB and I absolutely love it. A short shifter would be nice for sure but I don't mind it all that much because I don't drag race my taco.

The only time I have even though about wanting the auto in this truck is off road. I would still pick the manual over the auto just because I like a challenge lol

12. Feb 3, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    Moushigo

Moushigo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KC
    Los Angeles
    Thanks, I would go for a special order and waiting is no problem.

13. Feb 3, 2012 at 1:33 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Haven't we been through this like 1000 times? :) FWIW I drove manuals for 20 years. I love the auto in my V6. It's a rock solid unit that's been in use since 2003, and a great match for the larger 2nd gen. As for the 6-speed, I can't believe Toyota developed a manual that actually gets worse MPG than the auto. Seems deliberate to me. There hasn't been a stick in the 4Runner since 2000. I imagine Toyota would love to do the same with the Tacoma and FJ.

14. Feb 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    My girlfriend's Jeep compass has a CVT transmission in it. It's very weird to me when I drive it, I feel like the transmission is always slipping.

15. May 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    eugenedbrooksiii

eugenedbrooksiii Member

Member:
    I bought a 2012 TRD Off-Road extra cab V6 with the 6 speed manual in the Fall of 2012. There was one in the LosAngeles area, and after finding that one I used used data from the listing to refine my search and find one in Northern California. I have not seen one since so it might have been a market test to see how fast they would sell. These are 50 state vehicles, so it is only the poor sales rate that keeps manual transmissions rare for Tacomas in California.

With regard to comments on the transmissions, getting into first gear was quite rough in the beginning, where one could only get into first with a complete stop. It has smoothed out a lot after 3500 miles. Other than that, the transmission has been very well behaved.

I waited for this truck and transmission to be available before replacing my aging 91 SR5 with 235,000 miles on it that I had since new. It was either find the new truck with the manual transmission or do a restoration on the old truck. Motors have improved a lot since 1991, so I did not want to restore the old truck. I was never able to find a Toyota dealer that would order a truck. Any time I inquired the sales staff would say that Toyota just doesn't do business that way.

So, yes, you can find a V6 Tacoma with a manual transmission in California. It is quite a persistent long term search to do it, however. One option is to find a used one outside of California and bring it into the state. It is a 50 state truck so there are no emissions reasons for them not being sold in California.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  16. Aug 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM
    4bangeronabudget

4bangeronabudget Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7l base
    Blacked out badges Tough country lift Scs stealth 6 wheels LEDs Warn transformer w/ light bar winch mount Volant ram air intake Reese hitch Timbrens 5100s Warn 9500 winch Skids
    I have never owned an auto that lasted. I am hard on auto's towing big weight, plowing, offroading, mudding ect. I have owned Chevy autos, ford, toyo, suburu ect and almost as many manual and in my experience the manual out last the motor may need a clutch here and there but never a tranny. Autos on the other hand have not made it past the 200,000 yet. Take that and add the fun factor of a manual, burning tire j hooks rev up through town at a good looking chick, and a brake saver i will take my manual over any auto. I cant get used to to six speed though had to get rid of it for a five. That's my two.

17. Aug 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Auto

18. Aug 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM
    Nfurtado77

Nfurtado77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I test drove manual DCSB sport and I didnt like the amount of clutch travel (about twice as much as my car)although felt like it had alot more power with the manual.

19. Aug 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM
    tonyjr82

tonyjr82 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bethlehem, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DBL Cab Sport, Manual Trans
    Held out till I finally came across a Double Cab Sport with a 6 speed. All my vehicles are manual. I just feel like I have more control over when the truck is doing, plus I enjoy driving and genreally get bored in an automatic.

It is a pain however when you need someone else to drive it for some reason. Driving a stick is becoming a lost art form.

20. Aug 28, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    kiteboarder

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.

Products Discussed in

To Top