1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6 speed probs.???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SPENCAF, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Sep 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    That sounds more like a dealership problem than anything else. I am sure if he talked with the customer rep and or corporate he might have had a differant outcome. 60k, sometimes stuff happens, thats not completely unreasonable for that to happen at that milage. Sometimes stuff happens.

The only thing I have heard about regulalrly going wrong with the 6 speed is the throw out bearing issue althought I have never had that problem with either of my 6 spds.

2. Sep 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Dealer had to replace just about my entire tranny at 40k, not sure exactly what broke but it was grinding pretty bad.

I probably just had a faulty one, but it kinda worried me.

3. Sep 3, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything
    Ok I will give my two cents. I have had an auto and now have a manual trans Tacoma. I truly could not stand the auto. It's durable and all but I'm a control freak I guess cause the gear hunting on the auto drove me nuts. I live in the mountains. It always shifted at the wrong point or when it shouldn't have. Don't even get me started about the auto and cruise control. Auto? No thanks. The manual? Well I'm in control now. No it's not a perfect transmission and I don't think there is one of those but I really like the manual.

My truck is new so no issues at all but on a day to day basis compared to the auto I will take the manual any day. The manual is a little rough sometimes but it's probably my fault in the way I drive it like my Grandma. That and I think it might have something to do with how the computer keeps the revs up between shifts. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes it's rough. So in time I think I will get better at shifting it. However, I beat the snot out of it ("power" shifting at redline) the other day and honestly the harder I drove it the better it felt. It shifts great at high rpm. Love it! :cool:

4. Sep 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Wally, I agree with you here. The engine/tranny seems to like being revved high and beat like a cheap hooker. I tell you what, after supercharging it and then dropping on the underdrive pulley they truck now has the power it should have had all along. It acts so nice and is so good now. The rev thing is a bit annoying but I live with it and hardly ever notice it.

5. Sep 4, 2011 at 1:39 AM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything
    Yeah it is annoying but like I say it's only because I drive like a grandma. Rev it out and all that disappears. But so does the gas.:p I'm jealous of your supercharger. Maybe one day. :cool:

6. Sep 4, 2011 at 4:38 AM
    kauaibuilt

kauaibuilt U no kea but AINOFEA!

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    2011 w/ 18k+ mi. Only problem is the squeaky clutch pedal and that only happens when im easing it in or out. Otherwise no issues and a ton more fun then the auto.

Only thing I like better about the auto is the mpg they're getting.

7. Sep 4, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    I haven't driven a Tacoma with an auto, but earlier this year I drove a new Camry auto (rental car). If the Tacoma auto is anything like it, I'm glad I have the manual. CONSTANT gear hunting. Probably the most annoying auto I've ever driven.

8. Sep 4, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My auto tranny is great , no hunting to speak of unless I am driving at a speed that is the threshold between 4th and D , in that case I drop it into 4th , problem solved .

9. Sep 4, 2011 at 9:15 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    My auto hasnt hunted gears, even when towing.....

10. Sep 4, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Maybe because the Tacoma doesn't use the Camry transmission ?

I don't know

11. Sep 4, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Correct. Another reason I like the auto, is that it was behind the 4.7 for years before its introduction into the Tacoma. It was durable in the 4 runner, and is more than enough for the 4.0 V6.

12. Sep 4, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    It's the same tranny that the 1st gen Tundras have?

13. Sep 4, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    The auto, or manual?

14. Sep 4, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    The auto.

15. Sep 4, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    The 5 speed auto was developed from the ground up for the 4Runner for use behind the 4.7 V8 and the 4.0 V6. Then, it went into the Taocma

16. Sep 4, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    Pakow

Pakow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    125k on my truck and i have had the throwout bearing replaced twice, bellhousing too the second time and the trans completely rebuilt (all new gears and shift forks).

Now the t/b is squeaking again and 5th gear grinds unless i go turtle slow and match revs perfectly.

I love the manual tranny. Its great with cruise control and when it works is a joy to drive.

Also, i used to have the same sentiment towards the gear ratios as others (too short, especially 6th) but since i put 33s on the ratios are purrrrrfect.

Thinking i will probably go the T56 route once it gets bad enough this time around...

17. Sep 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    tacojpklx

tacojpklx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    michigan
    Vehicle:
    '10 AC OR, Magnetic Gray, 6spd
    toytec lift (eibach, bilstein 5100 at 0, Recall springs +Sumo Springs) seat covers, tint, weathertecs, shrokwork sliders, brute force rear bumper, in bed hi lift.
    I agree 1st and 6th are both too low stock. However, go up to the next tire size, and it's a better truck. It's only a 6% difference in final drive, but 1st feels better across the intersection and is smoother into 2nd. Then you get into 6th and the rpms are noticeably less at a cruise.

Another thing to love is the way the truck pulls in 6th while passing on a 2lane from 50mph to 75mph. No muss no fuss, just toe the gas a little and you are gone. Silent and effortless. Plus the shifter feels nice going into gear, but still maintains a substantial truck like feel. Coming from 6 Nissans, all with sticks (and all with tranny problems), this Yota unit is confidence inspiring.

18. Oct 3, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    +1 for 6spd manual. Love it more every time I drive it. Like others said, 6th could be geared better for hwy driving.

19. Oct 3, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    First gear is a touch low for street driving, great for off road.

Reverse is too high, combine that with a crappy clutch and it's a pain in the ass to back out of a steep driveway without burning the clutch.

Mine had a throw out bearing put in at 45K miles due to chirping. Common issue and lots of reading here. There is finally a TSB fix for it, but too late for me. I am just gonna pray mine holds up as is.

My first gear sometimes grinds, sometimes won't go into first and have to pump the clutch twice. Fourth gear will grind in hot weather and trying to shift fast. None of the gears can be engaged quickly. If it was an XRunner and I was trying to haul ass with it, I would be very pissed off. As it is, I am just a bit dissapointed.

Combine these things with the slightly lower MPG, and I overall should have bought an auto.

That's my personal experience. Currently have 57K on it. Gear oil was changed approx 15K ago.

Products Discussed in

To Top