1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6 speed shenanigans. RA60F swap to RC62F

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BillDaCat8, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Mar 19, 2021 at 7:58 PM
    BillDaCat8

BillDaCat8 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PHX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab M/T
    My shit is all stock.
    I’d still like to hear your idea here.

2. Mar 19, 2021 at 8:01 PM
    BillDaCat8

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PHX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab M/T
    My shit is all stock.
    I dunno about swapping the gears from RC to the RA trans. I doubt it would be easy to do. Or even possible. Why not just do the whole transmission?

3. Mar 20, 2021 at 1:34 PM
    Jeff Lange

Jeff Lange Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '86 AE86, '05 NCP13, '11 GSE21
    It would be an adapter that bolts on to where the RC62F shifter is and moves it forward to where the RA60F shifter sits. There are a number of ways to do it, some are more simple, easier, and/or cheaper than others but it would depend on clearance to the trans tunnel and whether or not you wanted to use a stock shift lever with the adapter or not. It is also possible to have adjustable throw built in with my one design idea, which some people may like.

One option would be similar to what Toyota did for the RC on some of the Hilux models, flipped around and facing forward of course, and probably not quite as tall...

mt_products2-2.jpg

Jeff

4. Apr 29, 2021 at 9:28 PM
    rheath08

rheath08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    Frankenstein's Monster
    converted AWD, RC62f swap, Supercharged
    Well, I ordered a RC62F today with 5k miles out of an '18MY. I will mate the VF4B transfer case I have colleting dust in the garage behind it. " The AWD case from the manual FJ Cruiser, if the model number is right". I'm going down this rabbit hole cause my CM hydro bearing is leaking like an '80 slasher movie has blood. :annoyed:
    I think I will keep the OEM throw out bearing set up.
    @BillDaCat8 Do you happen to know if the 3rd gen TO bearing will work on the 2nd gen pressure plate? I know you have done copious amount of research.

5. Apr 29, 2021 at 9:31 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    How much did the trans set you back? Considering this swap myself.

Will be doing a twin sticked FJ case though.

6. Apr 29, 2021 at 9:33 PM
    rheath08

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    Frankenstein's Monster
    @Key-Rei car-part.com but i had to call the wreaking yard directly. It was $2250 with shipping and includes the shifter and the fork for the TO bearing.

mav likes this.
  7. Apr 29, 2021 at 9:34 PM
    rheath08

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    Frankenstein's Monster
    Also I seen a few more that were a little cheaper but with more miles.

8. Apr 29, 2021 at 9:54 PM
    BillDaCat8

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PHX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab M/T
    My shit is all stock.
    Wha!!? NICE!

Oh dood! I wanna do that transfer case so bad. @BassAckwards has it going in his truck; Albeit behind the RA trans.

You’ll be doing custom shafts at both ends. Basically 2” longer on the front and 2” shorter on the rear. I haven’t come across any OE shafts that’d go right in with this setup. If anyone would be able to help with that it’d be @Jeff Lange

I’m pretty sure that the turd gen release stuff will work just fine. But, I don’t know absolutely positively. Try it. If it won’t fly, I can help with the Tilton setup. Mine has been flawless so far.

Please keep us in the loop in this thread. It’d be awesome to make it sort of a one-stop shop for this swap. Kinda like @12TRDTacoma and the SC thread.

9. Apr 29, 2021 at 9:57 PM
    BillDaCat8

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PHX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab M/T
    My shit is all stock.
    Mine was similarly priced @Key-Rei

Key-Rei likes this.
  10. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:09 PM
    rheath08

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    Frankenstein's Monster
    My front drive shaft is out of a auto 4x4 cause I was going to do the AWD case, longer story. I just used the same front shaft for the shorter t-case from the fj auto 4x4. My truck "was" a pre-runner, so my rear shaft is custom anyway. The carrier bearing location is 1" closer to the trans. I will bet I can squeeze out an inch longer than normal length on that front shaft, hell I have been running it an inch short for 3-4 years now.

Key-Rei likes this.
  11. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:27 PM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    You had to notch your 62 for the transfer case rods didn't you?

What did you do ultimately to "seal" those?

12. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:33 PM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Woof.

Probably about the only way to get one right now I imagine though.

Most pull-a-parts don't have the 3rd gens yet as they're too new.

Even when they do any Tacoma or 4Runner is usually nothing but a few nuts and bolts on the ground after the first three days.

Last year I did the URD quill sleeve Stage 2 clutch kit and their heavy flywheel ao it may be some time but the steel nose/quill of the RC62 is still tempting.

@BillDaCat8

Do you know if I can reuse my Core Short Shifter from my RA60F to the RC62? Does the clutch and fly etc get reused or do you need 3rd gen clutch components?

13. Apr 30, 2021 at 6:24 AM
    BillDaCat8

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PHX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab M/T
    My shit is all stock.
    I currently am running the original Tacoma transfer case. No notching required. But, my understanding is that I will need to do some clearancing when I switch to the awd case.

Key-Rei[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Apr 30, 2021 at 6:31 AM
    BillDaCat8

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PHX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab M/T
    My shit is all stock.
    Your shifter will not work on the RC62F. Sell it and buy the 3rd gen version.

I’m running 2nd gen clutch and flywheel with a Tilton hydro bearing. But, I’m fairly positive that the 3rd gen release stuff will work just fine.

EDIT: Third gen release stuff will work just fine as long as you’re using a third gen clutch pressure plate. Yes, the third gen clutch bolts up just fine to the 2nd gen flywheel.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  15. Apr 30, 2021 at 6:45 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    I might be interested in buying your RA60F Core shifter @Key-Rei if you decide to part with it..

16. Apr 30, 2021 at 6:49 AM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    Is RC62F available in 2WD?

17. Apr 30, 2021 at 7:03 AM
    BillDaCat8

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PHX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab M/T
    My shit is all stock.
    No.

There are other versions of the RC trans including a couple that are for 2wd applications. They were not used in any vehicle sold new in the US though. So, difficult to find.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    specter208[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Apr 30, 2021 at 7:51 AM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    I'll keep that in mind, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. About a year ago I went through this thing to try and put Band-Aids on everything Toyota botched so not really planning on parting with my ra60 until it explodes and I'm hoping that isn't any time soon.

:bananadead:

I suspected the RC62 swap was a possibility, but I wasn't brave enough to drop that kind of coin on being a guinea pig. But if I'd have known it was entirely possible when I did my clutch and my fixes, one of which being the core shifter, I probably would have just done the RC 62 swap in the first place.

So a little bummed this wasn't discovered for certain two years ago, but I am glad now there's more better and easier and even less expensive options than doing the t56 urd swap and having to get an atlas case to maintain four-wheel drive.

19. Apr 30, 2021 at 7:54 AM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    You got a link to that tilton? The only ones I knew about were the urd which has since been discontinued, and the clutch Masters which I think has also been discontinued. I believe both of those used t56 throw outs on their own unique bracketry and a fairly convoluted bleeder system.

20. Apr 30, 2021 at 12:53 PM
    BillDaCat8

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PHX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab M/T
    My shit is all stock.
    Reggie4x4 likes this.

Products Discussed in