1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6 speed very frustrating!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by '05Tacoma6MT, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Jun 9, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    jsbaggett

jsbaggett Member

Member:
    yeah the people saying "learn to drive" dont understand what you are talking about. i have the same issues as you, and you just get used to it. ive found that gas before any clutch travel and a pretty aggressive takeoff will eliminate any chatter/bucking issues but then MPGs suffer.

some have mentioned using the carrier bearing spacers/drop kit helps eliminate most of the takeoff chatter, i think they are ~1/4" spacers. search for that on here and you should find some info.

2. Jun 9, 2010 at 10:42 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    i have the same issue on my 4 banger. but its not all the time. i dont have to cocentrate to take off. it happens to me sometimes, rarely but still happens...Its a weird shutter like a warped flywheel. idk, its not that bad on mine

3. Jun 10, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    After running some test.I have determined for mine that no matter what incline on this truck I do not need to gas it all until i have fully let off the clutch and it has started moving. This is the first vehicle that I have not had to give it X amount of gas to keep it from stalling when letting off the clutch in 1st. As for when I shift, it's usually around 1900 to 2200 RPMs.

4. Jun 10, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    my truck only chatters in first when i accidentally pop the clutch too fast, you'll get used to it, maybe...

5. Jun 10, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    w4lter

w4lter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Omaha
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Westin bullguard, Steelcraft 3" Nerfbars, Bilstein 5100s all around -front set at 2.5", toytec 2" AAL, Wickedflow muffler, 265/70/17 Destination ATs.
    I had the same issue as you. It took awhile but you'll get used to it. I'm not sure if I just don't notice it anymore if I figured out how to drive it without the chatter - I'll be away from my truck for the next month. Also, I wish 2nd was just a little shorter. It seems like its SO close to being usable for taking off from a stop.

6. Jun 10, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    kram

kram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Squamish, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad Access Cab 6spd MGM
    URD Short Shifter TSB Leaf Pack, Bilstein 5100s front (1.75") and rear. 285/70/17 Duratrac on Rhino Sidewinders. Weathertech Digifit Floormats
    This thread is pretty interesting. It's a pretty good example of how different people and opinions can be and I'm surprised to see I'm in the minority. I love my 6 speed, after I put the URD short shifter in. I have not had any of the problems is seems many of you have had, but I wonder if it is driving style. I have always had hondas except for one turbo subaru, so I think my driving style has adapted to those vehicles.

I often like to take off anywhere from somewhat to very aggressively and I like to rev anywhere from reasonably high to redline depending on my mood. The idea of taking off with no gas would never have occured to me. I guess this clutch likes you to go hard or extra soft with no in between. It also shocks me to see the number of people who comment that first is too short. I find all the gears too long. I like to get up high in the rev range quickly and stay there until I get to 5th and 6th, but you can do 80km/h in 2nd gear which I think is too tall for a 6spd. Also, because I live in the mountains I find 6th too tall for the 80-90km/h limits when going uphill. My Acura TSX is the about the same. I really like rowing through the gears; to me it's all part of the fun of driving, so the more the better. If it wasn't so expensive I would regear my car so it redlines 20% sooner in all gears and probably would go about 10% sooner in my Tacoma. This kind of makes me concerned about going to 33's, as I will be even further away from the gearing that I would prefer.

As far as I understand it, the VVT-i is designed to have 2 stages, one for low revs and one for high revs. I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like it is designed to rev if you want to rev it. Besides, it sounds awesome at high revs. Sure, it's a truck and it's no sports car, but it is fast and fun to drive aggressively with a 6 speed when I'm in the mood and I wouldn't have it any other way.

SAR Taco likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top