1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6 speed

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SRFIVE, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Oct 18, 2008 at 3:54 PM
    SRFIVE

SRFIVE [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '04 SR5 TRD DC
    Maybe a long shot...but anyone convert their first gen to 2nd gen 6 speed? Anyone know if bolt pattern would even be the same 4.0L vs. 3.4L block? Just a feeler...but boy would that be cool...

2. Oct 18, 2008 at 5:01 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    It would take some major addapting. Bolt pattern is nowhere near the same.

3. Oct 18, 2008 at 10:33 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGM AC 4x4 TRD OR
    Husky front mud flaps, OEM bed mat, 3D floor mats, Wet Okole seat covers, fog lights anytime mod, rear diff breather extension, aluminum Relentless tailgate reinforcement, NWexpo corner gussets, 265/75-16 Hankook Dynapro ATM
    Fitment issues aside, judging from how unhappy a good number of the 2nd gen folks are with the 6 speed manual, why would you want to?

4. Oct 18, 2008 at 11:06 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD 4x4 DC
    OME Lift W/886 Coils LR UCA's Daker Leaf Packs 265/75/16 Duratracs N-Fab Steps UWS low pro box Carhartt Seat Covers/Door Inserts/Console Cover Relentless Fab Rear Bumper/Tailgate Skin Bed Mat DB Fab Grille Insert with Baja Designs Cube LED's Bulletproof Fab Engine Tray/Lower Grille Insert .50 Cal Antenna/Valve Stem Covers Custom Fab Console Lock Box Custom Shift Knob Dash Mat Window Tint Rugged Ridge Floor Mats Blacked Out Emblems Color Matched Grill Surround OEM Front Aluminum Skid Plate G-Tek Door Sill Protectors Wheelskins Steering Wheel Cover EGR In Channel Vent Visors FJ emblem on the tailgate Fab Fours front bumper Northstar battery TRD battery tie down
    I keep hearing how unhappy all the 2nd gen guys are with the 6 speed however I have a 97 with a 5 speed along with the 07 6 speed. I will admit it is a typical Toyota manual but I would say that most of the people bitching about it are car guys who do not understand how loose the Toyota trannys feel, all I know it that the old one has 135K on it and I put in a new clutch at 110K just because I had it set in my mind that it had to need it but it had about 25% of the wear left and the tranny is strong. I drove my first Toyota manual when I was 7 and I am now 29 and most of the people fussing are used to a car! Its a awesome tranny you just have to know how to drive a stick!! And a truck!!

5. Oct 19, 2008 at 6:24 AM
    SRFIVE

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '04 SR5 TRD DC
    Thanks. I was hoping there was a simple kit or answer. If the bell housings aren't the same, it's probably worth it.
    I didn't know anyone was complaining about the 2nd gens (obviously).
    Just thought it would be nice to have a stick for towing and off-roading.
    Love the 6-speed in my '03 Cobra, with two overdrives, seems like I would have more control over gas mileage. ;)

6. Oct 19, 2008 at 11:22 AM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGM AC 4x4 TRD OR
    Husky front mud flaps, OEM bed mat, 3D floor mats, Wet Okole seat covers, fog lights anytime mod, rear diff breather extension, aluminum Relentless tailgate reinforcement, NWexpo corner gussets, 265/75-16 Hankook Dynapro ATM
    Note that I did not say 'all the 2nd gen guys' but a 'good number' meaning more than some...there are also those who are quite happy with their manual 6 speed, as you are, and attribute unhappiness to unfamiliarity with the truck transmission as you do. I did not mean to imply that no one liked it, just that there were some who had issues. The best course of action if OP is seriously thinking of swapping would be to drive one and check it out personally.

7. Oct 19, 2008 at 9:03 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX TRD 4x4 DC
    OME Lift W/886 Coils LR UCA's Daker Leaf Packs 265/75/16 Duratracs N-Fab Steps UWS low pro box Carhartt Seat Covers/Door Inserts/Console Cover Relentless Fab Rear Bumper/Tailgate Skin Bed Mat DB Fab Grille Insert with Baja Designs Cube LED's Bulletproof Fab Engine Tray/Lower Grille Insert .50 Cal Antenna/Valve Stem Covers Custom Fab Console Lock Box Custom Shift Knob Dash Mat Window Tint Rugged Ridge Floor Mats Blacked Out Emblems Color Matched Grill Surround OEM Front Aluminum Skid Plate G-Tek Door Sill Protectors Wheelskins Steering Wheel Cover EGR In Channel Vent Visors FJ emblem on the tailgate Fab Fours front bumper Northstar battery TRD battery tie down
    I agree 100% glwood6! Solid advise.

8. Oct 19, 2008 at 10:05 PM
    Radelix

Radelix Runs with Scissors

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Silver 05 PreRunner
    Debadged, Satoshi, and a light foot
  9. Oct 20, 2008 at 1:21 PM
    BrianPK

BrianPK Offroad Enthusiast

Member:
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD 4WD V6 SR5
    CB Radio, 3'' fabtec spacer lift and 3'' body lift flowmaster dual exhaust, deckplate mod, silencer mod, Work in progress pioneer 7900bt stereo with 5X8 infinity speakers all around, and eclipse ex400 amp
    but the question remains... has it been done? has anyone picked up this idea and made a kit for it? personally, i find myself wishing i had a 6th gear sometimes, esp on the freeway.

that, and it'd be cool to tell people... you're the only person in your town with a 1st gen and a 6speed

10. Oct 21, 2008 at 6:55 AM
    SRFIVE

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '04 SR5 TRD DC
    It would defintely have a "cool factor", but I also learned over on ToyotaNation, that the gear ratios really don't help much...there isn't two overdrives like I assumed, but rather two third gears if you compare to a 1st gen 5 speed:

11. Oct 21, 2008 at 10:01 AM
    ubermx5

ubermx5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clara CA
    Vehicle:
    98 2.4 5 speed
    K&N Air filter
    I love it when people think a 6speed will help with Gas Milage...
    As we have seen here after the 1.00 gear the last gear is about the same.

A 6 speed is good for some people who drive in 2nd to 4th mostly.
    As this would give them 1 more choice.

But for every one else it is pointell till you spend more money...
    By that I mean having it rear geared to really make a higher end OD.
    So when you hit 150 you can shift again.

12. Oct 21, 2008 at 9:54 PM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    Perhaps something that no one else has considered, the 6-speed does have a lower 1st gear ratio, so it would have a bit of an advantage off-roading. Sorry, I had to play the Devil's advocate.

To Top