1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Aug 14, 2017 at 5:32 AM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    Morning all:
    Lets see, having off for the first day of archery, muzzle loader, buck, doe, and flintlock all sound good to me! :D
    Oh yea, and if you took off on the first day of buck either while in school or at work it was an unexcused absence and you needed a doctors excuse to be covered :(, usually the family doc understood, no problem! ;)
    SO; if 30 guys took off the first day of buck, and 29 had doctors excuses, the one guy got the flack, total BS but that was the game!

Holeshot likes this.
  2. Aug 14, 2017 at 7:03 AM
    Holeshot

Holeshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    15 Doublecab TRD Off Road 4 X 4
    The schools here would accept a written note from the parent. In my case the boys were usually "out of town" since our hunting club was "out of town".

I am sure the school teacher knew better but it was somewhat a rite of passage at the rural schools.

3. Aug 14, 2017 at 1:17 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    My new toy....

image.jpg

Showed the 50 group.
    Showed the 60 group.

boatswain and Holeshot like this.
  4. Aug 14, 2017 at 4:04 PM
    boatswain

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    Purdy string, bet that's why you bought it! :laughing:
    Them deer don't have a chance now Mike, unless it's me shooting at them! :facepalm:Still can't believe I missed two buck so far with mine, and close!
    GOOD LUCK, and keep your fingers away from that string! o_O I see that one has a pretty good guard on it and a hand hold off the bottom, shouldn't be any problem in that respect. I've seen pics. of guys that got their thumbs ripped up by the string, not pretty!

Holeshot likes this.
  5. Aug 14, 2017 at 7:08 PM
    Holeshot

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Is that the Cincinnati Bengals model?

6. Aug 15, 2017 at 3:50 AM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    That looks like it could bring down small aircraft.

In other news: after finding yet more largish piles of scat in my yard, and having another person agree with me that it certainly could be from a bear, *and* hearing from others in the neighborhood that bears have been spotted in the area, I finally sprang for a trail cam. First night, NADA. Is it even working? I checked online and saw some complaints about the particular model I bought. Second night: I marched around the yard after dark just to see if it triggered. It did. But I was still the only thing it caught. Two days, no interlopers; I guess this whole game tracking thing takes patience? :spy: :yawn: Also, cars on the road appear to trigger it during the daytime, but not at night. What's up with that.

7. Aug 15, 2017 at 4:31 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    No it's not. The guard makes it a little uncomfortable to hold in that area. It's a good design and made by Ten Point. My target can't handle it. So I only shot it like 3 times. But it's close at 20 yards. Need to upgrade to a better target before I go any farther.

8. Aug 15, 2017 at 4:32 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    It's the hypnosis model. As it shoots it paralyzes the deer for an instant.

9. Aug 15, 2017 at 4:39 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    #155 draw. 320 feet per sec. Lots of mass going through the air.

Can't comment why the cam does what it does but I think heat off the cars during the day may have something to do with it.
    My boy has 3 cams out. He checks them every 2 weeks.

10. Aug 15, 2017 at 4:54 AM
    Bluegrass Taco

Bluegrass Taco Politically incorrect low tech redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB, TRD OR, 5100's, 885's 285/75r16 Cooper STT PROs.
    OK....Made it to another significant birthday last week.....And qualified for this forum. Busy with work and getting things done to my truck. Winch bumper, winch, rear bumper, full skids, sliders, and raising the front just a tic higher. Ordering new headlights too.

After losing my #1 employee to cancer in March, now my next in line is going blind. (Just turned 40) He'll be leaving soon. So I have to train ANOTHER replacement. It don't get any easier. At least I'm better off than my two helpers.

At any rate, life goes on.

11. Aug 15, 2017 at 5:09 AM
    boatswain

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    Morning all:
    Hypnosis model! :laugh:

I bought a Delta McKenzie "speed bag" for a target, so far it has stopped the bolts from going through from the Matrix 380 and am happy with it, I picked it up at Dicks Sporting Goods. PITB, but at 20yds you should only shoot 1 arrow at a time unless you want to be replacing arrows, you've been warned! :D

12. Aug 15, 2017 at 5:21 AM
    boatswain

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    That stinks, what's the old saying-"count your blessings", especially when it comes to health.

A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY Bill!

13. Aug 15, 2017 at 8:49 AM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    OMG we're being invaded by another one of the Chatty 50 bunch. Prepare for a post onslaught...

Do you the brand/model he uses?

14. Aug 15, 2017 at 9:13 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Oh I know. Did that with the compound

15. Aug 15, 2017 at 9:14 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    No I don't sir

16. Aug 16, 2017 at 1:56 PM
    anonemoose

anonemoose Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Big Pine, Calif
    Vehicle:
    2015 White TRD Sport V6 DCSB
    Ride-Rites, Everything Weather-Tech Makes Added some 12 volt outlets with relays
    Lucky you - 3 detached retinas in left, 1 in right, cataract replaced in left, replaced twice in right and I did not start off with good eyes - 20/975 when I was 18 - draft exempt because woman and children can see what they are shooting at. Screw you, I took third place Calif ROTC small bore, they let me in finally....

You get color vision back? I saw in black and whit for a year, firs full color rainbow was a moment I won't forget.

09220001.jpg

17. Aug 16, 2017 at 6:05 PM
    Holeshot

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Bill, I appreciate your post so much. I really have a lot to be thankful for.

Your post reminded me of the old saying: I complained because I had no shoes.......until I met a man who had no feet.

As I said in an earlier post. Life is good.

ImpulseRed008, MQQSE and boatswain like this.
  18. Aug 19, 2017 at 10:16 AM
    boatswain

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    Afternoon all:
    Ordered a new scope for the AR-15, will see if it helps tighten groups up a bit, 3x9 Leupold mark AR 1 with the illuminated firedot.
    Read tons of good reviews on this particular scope, and if I don't like it on the AR it will find a home on another weapon.
    Did a lot of price checking and ended up buying it local for just $4.00 more than listed on Amazon, there was one cheaper price on another site but that sites reviews weren't that great so I decided it was best not to purchase from them.
    Looks like when it cools off a little I'll need to be up at the range doing some sighting in!
    AND! :woot:, it is now legal to use semis in PA to hunt coyotes and other furbearers, so I can now use the AR which is mainly why I bought it hoping this would happen.

Tacoma Mike, Holeshot and MQQSE like this.
  19. Aug 20, 2017 at 3:57 PM
    Holeshot

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    The latest issue of The American Rifleman has a good article on the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge. I have a rifle chambered for it and agree with all of the attributes mentioned in the article.

Almost time for us hunters to verify the zero on our rifles.

Of course I will be doing this using my Tacoma for transportation. ( do not want to post something without giving my truck it's due )

boatswain likes this.
  20. Aug 20, 2017 at 4:09 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    My crossbow is right on. Now to stretch the distance and see how it reacts

image.jpg

Holeshot and boatswain like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top