1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dec 20, 2019 at 7:09 AM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    Saw Stones twice.

wdb, Arbie, fathomblue and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dec 20, 2019 at 7:11 AM
    Arbie

Arbie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2004 3.4 PreRunner SR5 ext cab jade
    Custom black grille
    Saw Dr John, the Night Tripper. What a character!

3. Dec 20, 2019 at 7:36 AM
    fathomblue

fathomblue I used to be disgusted; now I'm just amused.

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Eastern Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Cavalry Blue 2019 DCSB SR5 4x4
    I saw the Stones in '75 at Arrowhead Stadium in KC. The Eagles opened for them.:thumbsup:

wdb and johneman[OP] like this.
  4. Dec 20, 2019 at 3:14 PM
    cheech1

cheech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, HI
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Off Road
    Waited in line for hours to get tickets I think in 1972 for the Stones. Opening act was ZZTop. Don't remember much about it except it was awesome. Was awfully smoky.

wdb, fathomblue and johneman[OP] like this.
  5. Dec 20, 2019 at 6:23 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I had front row seats to the Doobie Brothers! 1976... Pablo Cruise opened for them.

fathomblue and johneman[OP] like this.
  6. Dec 22, 2019 at 8:25 AM
    hikerduane

hikerduane Stove & lantern collector, retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    Meadow Valley, Jefferson USA
    Vehicle:
    '16 Blazing Blue Pearl TRD Sport AC V6 manual, tow pkg
    RCI sliders fuel tank skid plate, Softopper, tailgate insert
    Found some ambition the last couple days, so moving forward on clearing up the clutter of camping/backpacking gear in my spare bedroom. First up was moving out some furniture I'm saving cushions for just-in-case I ever need them in the next 40 years! Moved those out to the garage along with some cheapo, tall bookshelves I had bought over three years ago to move paperback books to and never did, decided they are not going to look too good. Swept dust up as I went, surprised how clean the floor was, guess stuff caught most of the dust before it settled to the floor. :) Going to set this up as a man cave, but don't have enough of a mix of "man" stuff to make it look cool, just using some original camp stove metal signs, stoves, lanterns, lamps set up on shelves I'm screwing on small areas of open walls. Wish I could set up more as displays instead of just making it look like a storage area. May mix the different gpa's (gas pressurized appliances) with each other so it has a little look of a display. Hope to finish attaching wall standards to the wall today, picking up more brackets on Monday to then set up the room, the closet is filled except needing one pole socket to put a dowel up to hang backpacks. Will be tidy.
    Duane

7. Dec 22, 2019 at 9:04 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :notsure: isn't your whole house a man cave?

8. Dec 22, 2019 at 9:13 AM
    hikerduane

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    Vehicle:
    I do have some stoves and lanterns here and there, need to hang some of my late moms paintings and grandmothers paintings. Just not good at making decisions on where to place them.
    Duane

johneman[OP] likes this.
  9. Dec 22, 2019 at 9:25 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Just stumbled across this thread and it looks like a good fit for me(just turned 71). Interesting and fun topics. I hope to be a regular here.
    A little about me, a brief bio - Northern California native. Born and raised in Oakland. Currently reside in Elk Grove. Graduated from Cal State Hayward. Spent 40+ years in the insurance industry in upper management, currently joyfully retired for 5 years. Married. Interests - I’m an avid outdoorsman, hunter, fisherman, camper, boater, although I just sold my boat. Just bought a kayak to use on mountain lakes fishing.
    Bought my taco new 10 years ago . Bought it as a third vehicle primarily for hunting and fishing activities, to get me into and out of the back country and to tow my fishing boat and duck hunting boat. Had trucks all my life mostly full size. Use to get a new truck every 4 or 5 years but I like this taco so much, I decided to just hang on to it. I don’t want another truck. In ten years it’s never failed me.
    Anyway hope to be a contributing member in this old farts thread.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    MQQSE, davidstacoma, wdb and 2 others like this.
  10. Dec 22, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    hikerduane

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    Vehicle:
    Welcome Sprig, pull up a chair, be sure the cooler is full. Good, another Californian, I'm up by Quincy. I camp and backpack quite a bit. I'd like to get a kayak sometime, another one of those things you don't know which to get.
    Duane

johneman[OP] likes this.
  11. Dec 22, 2019 at 12:09 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    I use to be an avid backpacker, all over the Sierras and the Montana Bear Tooth wilderness. Back problems have precluded backpacking for several years now but I still spend a lot of time out there where things are wild.
    Sitting in my garage organizing my fishing tackle and I always have a cooler handy with brew and a wee bit of Forty Creek Barrel Select Whiskey. Today however is a coffee day.

johneman[OP] and wdb like this.
  12. Dec 22, 2019 at 2:31 PM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Welcome Ken from another Ken who is 71 as well:thumbsup:. A great bunch here. Enjoy.

Sprig likes this.
  13. Dec 22, 2019 at 5:45 PM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    I've never owned a kayak but I have spent many many hours rowing them. The only real criteria I can think of is, ocean or lake/river? In other words how big are the waves going to be. Unless you are going racing my suggestion is just go get one. Or rent a few and then decide.

johneman[OP] likes this.
  14. Dec 22, 2019 at 7:27 PM
    hikerduane

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    Vehicle:
    I have a friend closer to the coast than I am, he goes out in bays with a group, he uses one of those longer ones, tracks better. I dont need something that long, the dog makes it more interesting.
    Duane

wdb[QUOTED] and johneman[OP] like this.
  15. Dec 23, 2019 at 4:35 AM
    gliderpilot

gliderpilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tex (Mike)
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4
    X2

Tex

johneman[QUOTED][OP] and Sprig like this.
  16. Dec 23, 2019 at 10:20 AM
    Warhawk

Warhawk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR AC
    Quicksand 2019 TRD Off Road Access Cab
    I enjoy the heck out of kayak fishing, and floating rivers. If I can do it, and enjoy it, most anyone can. One of my fishing buddies is over 70 and has a Hobie Outback pedal kayak. He fishes somewhere nearly every day. We have five kayaks now, from Jackson, Hobie and most recently Bonafide. Things you need to consider ...

- Match the kayak to your weight, stay at about 75% of rated capacity to leave room for gear
    - What is your intended use, fishing, recreation, rivers, lakes
    - A good paddle is very important, good paddles are expensive, plan on spending around $100 on a paddle

instead of trying to compare a dozen kayaks, choose a brand that has a broad range of kayaks, say Jackson. Zero in on a model or two from Jackson, then you can shop whatever is compatible to that kayak from other brands.

The most versatile kayak we have is a Jackson Tripper 12, it’s the recreation version of the Kilroy, a fishing kayak. It’s also about the cheapest kayak that Jackson makes.

if money is really tight, consider a big box store kayak. But you’ll get a lot better kayak, and expert service from a local paddle shop.

johneman[OP] and Sprig like this.
  17. Dec 23, 2019 at 12:14 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    I got a different kind of kayak than most after much research. My kayak is a Sea Eagle 350 FX inflatable. I know some are saying , what the hell? It is a one person kayak designed specifically for fishing. It is a top of the line kayak not some cheap inflatable. It is hard and solid like a Zodiac boat. It’s rated for class 4 rivers (which I never ever plan to even get close too) It’s also rated for almost 600 lbs cargo/persons. It’s big enough that you can put an extra seat in for two persons. My 75 lb lab rides in it with me no problem. It has an inside insert floor that when inflated I hard as concrete and you can easily stand on.
    It is a stable platform. I also got an electric trolling motor for it for trolling and can troll for many many hours on the battery.
    It inflates in less than 10 minutes with the double action hand pump but I purchased an electric pump.
    I got the inflatable for several reasons. I thought a hard kayak would stick out the back of my truck too far. I have back problems and getting it on top of my camper shell could be a major problem by myself if I wanted to haul it there. I can transport it in the trunk of a car if I want to. I use it mostly on mountain lakes Spring and Summer and leave it inflated during that time. It sticks out the back of my truck when inflated but is within legal limits. For the winter I deflate it and it’s easy and compact to store.
    I got interested in the SeaEagle inflatables as I have a friend who kayaks in the ocean with his SeaEagle and told me what a great boat it is , how stable it is and how tough it is.
    It’s a great kayak, fits all my needs. Check it out - https://www.seaeagle.com/FishingKay...MIrtyx28nM5gIVQyCtBh3y-gO0EAAYASAAEgJyW_D_BwE

johneman[OP], wdb and ImpulseRed008 like this.
  18. Dec 23, 2019 at 3:02 PM
    Warhawk

Warhawk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR AC
    Quicksand 2019 TRD Off Road Access Cab
    I’m planning on hitting the road when I retire. If my wife wants to go, we’ll get an RV. If it’s just me, I’ll probably build a camper van. I’d really like to bring a kayak along, but conventional kayaks are just ok big and bulky.

How much room does your inflatable take up when it’s deflated? Is it a lot of trouble deflate it and get it down to a manageable size?

19. Dec 23, 2019 at 3:25 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    Deflating is easy. I kind of folded it so it’s like a suite case. It has a heavy nylon carrying case. You could roll it but I folded it. It’s about 36” across, 30 inches high and about 14” wide. Imagine a suitcase with those dimensions. You can also roll it so it looks like a giant sleeping bag if you want. The first time you roll it up it takes a little time to figure it all out, but after that it’s simple. Setting it up the first time takes a little doing but again after you figure it out it’s easy. The instructions it comes with are pretty good. If you don’t like it you can return it within 6 months of purchase for a refund.
    I like to get away for days at a time to Sierra mountain lakes that I can drive to and this kayak works great for me.

johneman[OP] likes this.
  20. Dec 24, 2019 at 4:12 AM
    2Toyotas

2Toyotas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco SR5 AC
    We use a stainless container with carbon filters in the lid. No smell. Then take it outside, when full, to the compost.
    I saw the Stones in '75 in L.A. Ron Wood had just joined them. Ringo was in the audience.

Products Discussed in

To Top