1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Aug 24, 2020 at 9:21 AM
    GREENBIRD56

GREENBIRD56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Casper / Tucson
    Vehicle:
    014 Taco 4Dr 4wd
    Well..... one of our critters has swelling and signs of snakebite - but not too severe, so must have been one of the little 12"snakes out of the wash. Will take her to the vet for a vitals exam but so far just the swelling and sleepy. We've seen two rattlesnakes in the last week so I know they are moving around. During monsoon times they move to higher ground. Does anyone know of a repellent other than the 22 shot shells I keep in my old gallery gun?
    When I keep a "barrier" of bug spray outside the back fence ( Ortho Home Defense has worked for the bugs) - then no snake visits. Seems like when that has been kept up - the reptiles shy away. The chemicals they use these days tend to be based on plant base stuff that dogs and kids are immune to after it dries. Maybe it irritates their tongues and sense of smell. Is has been three months on the last spray application so I renewed the barrier yesterday. I hate to just rely on such flimsy evidence - but when the spray was out there and effective - our neighbors had problems and we didn't.

johneman[OP] likes this.
  2. Aug 24, 2020 at 10:05 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Couple suggestions for your dogs and venomous snakes. Take them to a pro for snake avoidance training. It works. Also in Az. They will train for Sonoran toad avoidance (a poisonous toad that the poison can kill a dog)
    Also consider vaccinating your dogs with rattle snake vaccine. It works mainly for diamondback rattlers. When vaccinated the reaction to the venom is milder and the venom is neutralized. You still need to see a vet but chances of death or major complications are greatly reduced.
    Also after a bite even if a “dry” bite, infection is always a significant concern.
    My lab is a hunting dog and thus has lots of potential contact with snakes. I wouldn’t take him afield without him being vaccinated and without snake avoidance training.

3. Aug 24, 2020 at 12:00 PM
    GREENBIRD56

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Casper / Tucson
    Vehicle:
    014 Taco 4Dr 4wd
    Our two terriers have been to avoidance training - all they learned was to avoid snakes when wearing a shock collar..... They associate the collars with a need to behave as directed - otherwise, "party on"! The vet told me that at this point infection was the biggest concern and it would take a couple more days to know how that was going to turn out.

When I was a kid we had Beagles - the large size field dogs - and every so often one would get winged by a copperhead or rattler. Their heads would swell up and they would be tender for a while, but we never lost one.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Devious6, Oldie2007 and johneman[OP] like this.
  4. Aug 25, 2020 at 2:17 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Good morning, everyone!! Hope your pup is OK!! Have I ever told you that I hate snakes?

5. Aug 25, 2020 at 6:30 AM
    Oldie2007

Oldie2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Impulse Red Pearl DCSB SR5 PreRunner. 2020 RAV4Hybrid Limited
    A little something every chance we get.
    Good morning folks! Trying to figure out what to do that isn't too much today. I get the buffed LBR back sometime today. Back in February, she got a front fender and passenger side clear treatment, and then the disease hit! We been waiting until he opened and had some free time to give it a buff! Patience! Other than that, barely any Putz on the list. Doctors and stuff tomorrow, so I just don't want to start something.

Did I mention that Terriers seem only semi-trainable, Steve? Hope they're well, but the shock collars made me laugh. Sounds just like our Rex.

Sneks? No thank! I'll put up with garden snakes, but they better stay hidden, because I don't spend a lot of time on ID!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    johneman[OP] likes this.
  6. Aug 25, 2020 at 7:03 AM
    GREENBIRD56

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Casper / Tucson
    Vehicle:
    014 Taco 4Dr 4wd
    I'm gonna have to look into the the venom vaccine - all of our problem critters so far are rattler relatives. Arizona apparently can have a type of coral snake - one drowned in the neighbor's "cement pond" - but outside of that I've never seen one. I killed a big sidewinder in a neighbors yard that was very aggressive and probably could really hurt a person or kill a small dog - they are variety of rattler. They are also very fast - take the long spade......

I did learn something from the vet (new to me) - Benedryl, one milligram per pound of dog is a safe dose. She just suggested a 12 hour spacing and my jar says 6. Will have to ask more about that. This gal is very direct (which I appreciate) and came from the livestock business - our past guy came here from Riverton, Wyo, same practical manner - and has used the virus as a reason to retire. I've used the Benedryl on dogs before (bee stings) but was lighter on the dose.

johneman[OP], Sprig and Oldie2007 like this.
  7. Aug 25, 2020 at 11:04 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    .22 shot is the most effective snake deterrent I know. If the snake is at least about 3 feet long, it makes good eating, too.

Oldie2007 and johneman[OP] like this.
  8. Aug 25, 2020 at 12:30 PM
    cheech1

cheech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, HI
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Off Road
    Nope, no snakes here, and that's a good thing.

We always have Benedril in the house for the dog & cats. Dog gets hives occasionally. My daughter is a Vet tech, and our pets are on more meds than I am.

Stay safe, my friends.

9. Aug 25, 2020 at 2:23 PM
    Tacomaroma

Tacomaroma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR Access V6 4wd Midnight Black.
    SX pkg, 265s, fogs, dog platform, lighted visors, LED interior.
    Used to live in the foothills of far Northern Ca. Had rattlers every year for the first five years we were there. Used a 22 when they were coiled up and a shovel when they were stretched out. Never ate em though, unless my wife snuck some in with the chicken when I wasn't lookin. :)

10. Aug 25, 2020 at 3:51 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Not meaning to be contrary but a 22 snake load is at the bottom of my list. It is a weak load, the shot is microscopic and the pattern is small. If you miss the head of the snake and hit it somewhere below the head you’ll have one pissed off snake biting and snapping at everything in sight. Not saying you can’t kill a rattler with a 22 with snake shot , they are ok within about 8 feet but certainly on the bottom of my list to do the job. Far better caliber snake rounds to do the job would be 38, 357, 44, 45 and a few others. Best of all would be a 12 gauge . I understand if you have neighbors near by a 22 would hardly be heard and create less discord with neighbors.
    I’ve killed many a venomous snake but I prefer not too. I only dispatch them if they are close to peopled areas and may be a danger to people, kids, dogs. Sometimes I’ve even captured them and transported them to other more remote areas. When I encounter them in the boonies I just let them be. I don’t like snakes but they have their place. Just my random and scattered thoughts on the subject.

Devious6, 95SLE, Oldie2007 and 2 others like this.
  11. Aug 25, 2020 at 8:27 PM
    GREENBIRD56

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Casper / Tucson
    Vehicle:
    014 Taco 4Dr 4wd
    I agree with letting the wilderness critters be, but here in the 'hood... Not so much! Too many kids, dogs and (ahem) old ladies. This area was once the huge Agua Dulce ranch and the "Roger Wash" behind me runs uphill from here into Saguaro N.P. to the west. We get visited by coyotes, bobcats, javelina, Coues deer, pack rats, road runners and on and on. This drought and the last few weeks of 110 degree weather is causing many critters to use the wash as a travelway - more so than usual.

12. Aug 26, 2020 at 1:58 AM
    Devious6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Good morning everyone!! I'm also in the "I hate snakes but don't dispatch them unless they are in a location where they might harm people or pets" category. It's rare here to see any venomous snakes around the house luckily. Off to the dentist today for a cleaning and checkup - last one was scheduled for May and was cancelled so it's been about 10 months since my last...ugh. Stay safe!

Oldie2007, johneman[OP] and Sprig like this.
  13. Aug 26, 2020 at 3:28 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Good morning all. Weeding and trimming back greenery in the back yard had turned into a makeover with the focus on low maintenance. Today is putting down landscape fabric in a small defines area that houses a guy wire for a utility pole. Then putting some left over stone on top of the fabric. Hopefully there will be no mor weeds in that area. I also have physical therapy at 11:00 am today. Dinner tonight will be smoked bacon wrapped pork tenderloin on the Weber Kettle.

14. Aug 26, 2020 at 4:25 AM
    Harry2015

Harry2015 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    N.E. PA
    Dinner tonight will be smoked bacon wrapped pork tenderloin on the Weber Kettle.[/QUOTE]
    Ummm...just wondering what time we should get there :)

15. Aug 26, 2020 at 12:57 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Ummm...just wondering what time we should get there :)[/QUOTE]

17:00 EDST LOL20200826_153702.jpg

16. Aug 26, 2020 at 6:28 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    I agree with the let the snakes be idea if they are away from people. Unless they are big enough to eat. I have never had a problem making a head shot with .22 shot if that is what I have on hand. Regular .22LR works ok otherwise.

johneman[OP] likes this.
  17. Aug 27, 2020 at 2:38 AM
    Devious6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Good morning, everyone!! Had some nice steady rain this morning - really need it - and probably more this afternoon. So, inside projects seem to be the thing to do. We need to build some frames for the apiary to collect honey - one hive is really going to town and needs more room. I also need to run out and grab a light switch - had one fry itself last night so I pulled it out of the box and capped the wires until I get the new switch to put in.

Stay safe out there.

18. Aug 27, 2020 at 3:31 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Continue to work in the back yard today in the morning. Going to buy some knock out roses after we finish the back yard work. Hopefully the rains will allow us to plant the roses this weekend. We are on a mission to make our yard into a lower maintenance yard.

19. Aug 27, 2020 at 6:10 AM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Good Morning Folks.
    Our place upstate has a resident black (hope this isn't considered racist) snake that helps keep the mouse population in check. Because we don't live there year round the mice enjoy the freedom of a roof over their heads. He doesn't come out when we are there but has the run of the house when we are not. Found several 3 foot long skins over the years.

Dinner sure looks good Tom, lot of bacon is my favorite :drool:. Labor day weekend is Corn Roast at the neighbors place up state. He has a big party that lasts into the night and corn is plentiful (last year he had 250 ears). Has a wood fire with a steel plate and wet burlap wrapping the ears in the husk and wets them down so they get steamed and they are the best:thumbsup:.

Have a good day all.

20. Aug 27, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    cheech1

cheech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, HI
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Off Road
    We are back on Covid lockdown for the next 2 weeks because of stupid people.

Having just retired in Feb, had several trips planned, but instead have been stuck at home. Can't wait until this is over so I can get outta here.

Products Discussed in

To Top