1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jan 28, 2021 at 5:38 AM
    MtnAltitude

MtnAltitude AKA: Grump-a-saurus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colorado Mtns
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro AG, 1971 FJ40 - all MT
    Good morning all,

A great day woke to the high teens and NO NEW SNOW over night. :woot:

I too have been getting more scam calls of late even Medicare scam calls. On my cell I have set up a very strict call filter which seems to stop a lot of them. I see a call has come in and was blocked so I can double check the number in case it was legit. Wish I could do the same with my business line, which is a VoIP satellite line with internet. Yes, I still have my business but have not conducted any business since 2019 due to the VID. Giving it one more year then I will shut it down and permanently retire if nothing comes my way.

Trash day off to put the trash at the street, have a great day everyone - be safe

2. Jan 28, 2021 at 6:39 AM
    Foster Imposter

Foster Imposter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Out in the woods, GA
    Vehicle:
    2018 PRO MT
    What type of business do you have?

johneman[OP] and Oldie2007 like this.
  3. Jan 28, 2021 at 6:51 AM
    MtnAltitude

MtnAltitude AKA: Grump-a-saurus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colorado Mtns
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro AG, 1971 FJ40 - all MT
    I have a small (me) consulting company. I left USA Volleyball in 2010 and started an event consulting company. It has evolved into an event management company for multiple sport events (World Police & Fire Games 2015) and of late ADA and wounded service member events and training. I was part of a team of small business' (4 of us) that produced the DoD Wounded Warrior Games in Tampa back in 2019, we were bidding on the 2020 games before it was canceled (Marines were going to be the host service). The only reason I want to continue this is - I like it and enjoy the outcome these events do for the participants and families. No other reason.

davidstacoma, wdb, Tacman19 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jan 28, 2021 at 7:01 AM
    Foster Imposter

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Out in the woods, GA
    Vehicle:
    2018 PRO MT
    Nice!
    That is very commendable what you do and I wish you the best sincerely in your future endeavors even when it turns into just retirement.

5. Jan 28, 2021 at 7:49 AM
    Oldie2007

Oldie2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Impulse Red Pearl DCSB SR5 PreRunner. 2020 RAV4Hybrid Limited
    A little something every chance we get.
    Good Morning Porchies!
    Our scam solution is we simply don't answer the phone. Unless someone real pops up on the screen. We installed a no more robo that is maybe 90% effective on killing them on the first ring. On my cell, I never pick up unless I know, so.... Either way, if it was someone important, they will leave a message.
    Been rebuilding the free solar water system for the greenhouse last few days. You name it, it's gone wrong. After moving pump number one inside the shed, and installing a space heater on a thermostat, as well as several check valves (this pump will not self prime), I discovered that apparently the heating and cooling properties of the water in the tubes STILL prevented the system from always pumping water, and I think that bothered the pumps. Finally, Saturday after my shot, I came home to find even the solar controller shut down! Anyway, I got that reset and charging again, found a intermittent connection on the ground, and got the system back running. So, I could start the Secret Squirrel Third World Pumping system rebuild!

The intermittent wire was on the motor ground - everything else worked - so it was of course a pain to find. In the middle....

20210125_142156.jpg

So, here is the new system inside the shed. The top pump is a self priming, cut off pump that I started with originally. What I found was that as I put in the drip irrigators, apparently I had the equivalent of an opening and closing faucet (these pumps are used in RV systems), so the pump was constantly "on its limits", and I really didn't get the 10 minutes of watering scheduled. NOW, it's job is simply to fill the new reservoir I just got; so that the circulating pump on the bottom will always have flooded suction (they DON'T self prime, and my check valves didn't overcome expansion/contraction); water is available immediately! The reservoir will overflow back into the rain barrel outside. (I have a flow valve coming so I can adjust to minimize that.)

20210127_130615.jpg

And INSIDE the greenhouse, I constructed a duplicate reservoir, so that the SECOND circulating pump would also always have flooded suction. The second pump was needed because circulating pumps can only overcome so much rise or head. The water line rises 5' above the pump in the shed, over about 8' run as it gets to the greenhouse, which just wasn't enough to actually move it through the drips. Now, you would think the two identical circulating pumps would flow the same? Of course not, so, another flow valve will let me balance that as well. I have a feeling as I remove drips for summer use, that balance will change! But, now I have water!

20210127_160254.jpg

You know what else I have? AIR. Irrigation tubing isn't a 100% seal, and I learned through yet more searching all my problems, I need to install anti-vacuum valves (air bleeds) at the high points on my water runs. This UFO attractor device is on top of the greenhouse, and I will put some small ones on the lines inside as well! One of the 4 check valves is below it.

20210115_133422.jpg

Ain't retirement GRAND?

6. Jan 28, 2021 at 9:43 AM
    markmizzou

markmizzou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    17 SR5 V6 4x4 AC AT tow pkg. Blue as they come
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    Interesting -- I bet your plumbing supply loves you!
    That is unless it is all "free" as you state: "Been rebuilding the free solar water system for the greenhouse"

7. Jan 28, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    markmizzou

markmizzou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    17 SR5 V6 4x4 AC AT tow pkg. Blue as they come
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!

Were you a plumber? electrician? HVAC guy? or a mechanical engineer in your pre-retirement times? If not I admire your abilities -still I admire the talents either way. Looking at your profile page, you have a sharp truck as well!

8. Jan 28, 2021 at 9:55 AM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    Morning all:
    Darn Kurt, looks like you've been busy!

My neighbor hooked up a outside wood burning stove inside an outbuilding that's near his house. When he showed me how it was set up and what he did for storing hot water etc. I was amazed!

Was just having a discussion about the owner of a local lumber co. who had covid and didn't make it, rumor is that the ventilator he was on wasn't working properly. It was mentioned that if covid is in the air, and you walk through a polluted area where it is airborne,, how can you stop it from getting in your eyes without wearing eye protection? The eye protection has been mentioned, but almost no one is wearing it, they just say don't touch your eyes or nose until you wash your hands and now they are also saying to double or triple up on masks and that a triple mask is about 90% effective, WTH!!!! :confused:
    Really didn't want to post this, but the part about the unprotected eyes, which are a known receptor for this virus, just makes sense and something to think about, hope I don't get a time out! :(
    I think Mark had the right idea with the full face respirator, it may come to that shortly! :notsure:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  9. Jan 28, 2021 at 9:55 AM
    OverlandExpress

OverlandExpress Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Taco TRD PRO

https://www.youtube.com/c/JimBrowning/videos

10. Jan 28, 2021 at 1:32 PM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Afternoon folks.
    Read this morning that they strongly recommend NOT taking Ibuprofen, antephetomine or any other OTC such as Aleve or Tylenol before getting your Covid shot as it weakens the potency of the vaccine :facepalm:. What next?

06Tacooo, wdb, ImpulseRed008 and 3 others like this.
  11. Jan 28, 2021 at 2:11 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    In addition to your comments it is actually possible to be infected through the ears. The nose has the most receptors for the virus to enter the body. Stuff is getting serious Carl. So our county is opening restaurants this Friday. I feel empathy for the workers and owners but restaurants are one of the main hotspots for this virus. I will continue with curbside pick up from out favorite restaurants.

wdb, johneman[OP] and Oldie2007 like this.
  12. Jan 28, 2021 at 3:09 PM
    Oldie2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:No, but I played them all at work! I've been through a lot of different things, even though I was at the same company for 37 years! Only place I ever worked after I got out of the Roadie biz! Now, it changed names, owners, many GMs, and even moved three times in the same city. But, I did darn near everything there was to do there.

"Free Solar Water" started innocently enough. I had a shed built in March, then I built the new greenhouse next to it. I decided that I certainly could catch rain water if I put up gutters, and a rain barrel. Then, I got a solar system via Amazon that would power a pump to get it from the shed to the greenhouse. All the lessons started from that innocent point! Oh, the fancy meters were just to geek out over (can measure the Watts, Amps, and Volts so I know I'm using less than the solar creates), and the time clocks are more cheapo Amazon goodies. One for pump, the other for the shed lights (which are repurposed truck bed/rock LEDs).

And so it started..... it's like living with Columbo..... "and, one more thing..."

13. Jan 28, 2021 at 3:36 PM
    Tacman19

Tacman19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma SOLD
    As many as I can fabricate

That Sir, is not a greenhouse. It's a missile launch facility and we know what's going on...lmao.
    Looks good man.
    Zim

14. Jan 28, 2021 at 3:38 PM
    Oldie2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    No, really, plants man. And not even exciting ones. Just because you can't SEE them......

20210127_183401.jpg

15. Jan 28, 2021 at 3:39 PM
    Tacman19

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma SOLD
    Oh shit. I just discovered I'm in the "60" thread, and not the "50" thread where I'm a member. I'm 64, so is there a penalty?
    LMAO
    Zim

johneman[OP] and Oldie2007 like this.
  16. Jan 28, 2021 at 3:42 PM
    Oldie2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    You have to fill the cooler, I believe! :cheers:

17. Jan 28, 2021 at 3:43 PM
    Foster Imposter

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Out in the woods, GA
    Vehicle:
    2018 PRO MT
    You are definitely welcome here!

18. Jan 28, 2021 at 3:43 PM
    robe689

robe689 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SE Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Tacoma SR5 Access Cab V6 4WD
    and welcome to the porch...

19. Jan 28, 2021 at 3:45 PM
    Tacman19

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma SOLD
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.
    (don't think for a minute you can't disguise a missile silo with green houses...beautiful green houses I might add)
    Nice work man.
    Zim
    I'm soon going to be helping a friend develop some low humidity coolers for cannabis and beer production. I'm no scientist, just a sheet metal guy..lol
    Zim

20. Jan 28, 2021 at 3:51 PM
    Tacman19

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma SOLD
    You know I be lurkin. LOL. Thanks fella's. The porch is a good place to be.
    Zim

MtnAltitude, Devious6 and Oldie2007 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top