1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Feb 26, 2021 at 7:16 AM
    roundrocktom

roundrocktom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver DCLB Off Road
    Exercise, eat sensibly, and get a good night's sleep.

I go to my boxing gym 3x a week. Taking two weeks off and was back at it yesterday. I feel sore, but great to keep working out.

I was swimming (1500M), bike (15 miles), running (5K); 3 times a week. I managed to get three sprint triathlons in 2019. Arthritis in the knees sucks, still holding out on replacing them, but the doc told me to stick to cycling and swimming. Still, I take the dog out for a good walk.

I've been slacking with the bad weather but need to get back up riding. I may have Parkinson's, zero ability to balance on two wheels, but it doesn't keep me from riding.

Livestrong_2019_B.jpg

wdb, Devious6, RustyGreen and 9 others like this.
  2. Feb 26, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Welcome to the Porch roundrocktom. Your exercise routine makes me tired reading about it. Sorry to hear you have Parkinson’s. My wife has Parkinson’s and we know exercise is the best treatment and therapy for it. Boxing more than anything else improves Parkinson’s symptoms. I know you know that. I’m a former boxer from 40+ years ago both amateur and pro and still like to hit things. I bought a heavy punching bag for my wife but I find myself using it several times a week. Punching a heavy bag for a few minutes is probably one of the best cardiovascular exercises there is and it improves your hand eye coordination, balance, strength and on and on. In addition it makes you a bad ass. Wrapping the hands and putting on the gloves always brings back memories for me of days long gone. Think I’ll go out to the garage and beat the crap out of the bag for awhile.

3. Feb 26, 2021 at 2:10 PM
    roundrocktom

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Our boxing class is Parkinson's Boxing. Good physical and social activity for us. Keep me moving with footwork, my jab crossed, duck, slip. We do the 1 through 6, then the coach calls "southpaw" so the right foot comes forward and everything swaps on those calls. Punching while trying to remember the correct slip. My best compliment was my son's comment "I need to get back to the gym"

A friend in Dallas didn't do much the first ten years after diagnosis. Her daughter talked her into doing a 5K, Mom kept on running and has completed 99 Marathons in the last 10 years. Yes, 20 years after diagnosis she is still running marathons.

I had really slowed down but started working out like crazy in 2015. In 2016 had DBS (deep brain stimulation) as I was maxed on taking medication every three hours. I would walk and talk for 90 minutes, but then was like a light was turned off and really quiet for 90 minutes. I remember barely getting on a plane, taking meds 30 minutes before landing, running through the PHX airport to catch my next flight. Barely able to get down the jetway once home. I had one flight, bad weather diverted us to Dallas. Took me 24 hours to get home to Austin, TX. Oh I, like an idiot, packed my medication in my bags as I had "12 hours of medication on me". Finally realized brain surgery was the way to go. I still need medication, but 1/3 of the previous dose.

Keep moving. For those wondering what DBS is about:

DBS_XRAY.jpg

4. Feb 26, 2021 at 3:23 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    Yes I know all about the Parkinson’s boxing classes. My wife use to attend one. She stopped so I got a heavy bag and started coaching her. Jab jab right hook. Left and right body shot, right upper cut. Left cross right cross left cross right cross and all the while ducking, weaving, bobbing, slipping.......and as my trainer said to me a thousand times long ago, stick and move, stick and move stick and move.... Parkinson’s boxing classes study’s have shown that they may be the best treatment in maintaining balance, coordination , motor skills, and speech and slowing disease progression. You are doing everything right, good on you. Keep it up.

5. Feb 27, 2021 at 1:57 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Welcome to the group @roundrocktom ! Awesome story you have there. Great example and incentive for others...whether they have Parkinson's or are just aging. Keeping moving, exercising, active prolongs life for us all.

Lynn and I both called it an early night after the round #2 vaccine shots yesterday - Lynn was in bed by 8 and I followed about 30 minutes later. Slept well and feel great this morning.

Snowing a bit again this morning but not really sticking to the driveway - temps headed into the mid 40s so the melt will continue. Temps for the coming week pretty much trend up to the 40s...YEAH!!

Be safe and stay warm!

6. Feb 27, 2021 at 2:30 AM
    4x4spiegel

4x4spiegel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Getting Moderna shot this AM , wondering if it will raise my WBC , it's too high now due to leukemia. I'll find out with a CBC next week.

7. Feb 27, 2021 at 7:18 AM
    roundrocktom

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Let me know what you find out.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S Thompson"

8. Feb 27, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    Morning all:
    Another welcome to roundrocktom, fill up the cooler and pull up a chair on the porch.

Nice pics. Ken! :thumbsup:

johneman[OP], Oldie2007 and Sprig like this.
  9. Feb 27, 2021 at 8:06 AM
    Foster Imposter

Foster Imposter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Out in the woods, GA
    Vehicle:
    2018 PRO MT
    Liking your signature quote!
    also, welcome to this place!

10. Feb 27, 2021 at 8:13 AM
    Oldie2007

Oldie2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Impulse Red Pearl DCSB SR5 PreRunner. 2020 RAV4Hybrid Limited
    A little something every chance we get.
    Good Morning and Happy Saturday Porchies!
    As reported, I got Moderna #2 Wednesday, and no complaints. Shot site is still a little sore, and I had a little stiffness all over, but that was mostly gone by yesterday. I had "normal" blood work done between the two for my heart Doctor, and while it doesn't cover everything, there were no abnormalities.
    Up for doing some bricks today, if the sun comes out - otherwise, I wait until it's an enjoyable day! :cheers:

11. Feb 27, 2021 at 8:15 AM
    Foster Imposter

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Out in the woods, GA
    Vehicle:
    2018 PRO MT
    Got back from St Cloud, FL late last night. Whirlwind trip to meet up with a TW member (Key-Rei) who did an outstanding job installing my new front bumper, winch and lights.
    This guy (who I now consider as a friend as well) does seriously thorough work.
    I'll post a picture later when my phone gets charged up enough to take one.

12. Feb 27, 2021 at 8:32 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Think I am getting ready to have the first C19 shot. Had a flurry of phone calls, text messages and e mails putting me on alert. I had to answer back to the test and received another text back. Just waiting on a date at this point.

Went to lunch yesterday with my two sisters, my wife and my cousin and her husband. I had not seen my one sister since Christmas 2019. We had an entire room of the restaurant to ourselves.

My cousin's husband is battling Parkinson's. Therapy has been hard for him during the pandemic. He does have a therapist visit twice a week. He was going to the gym 3 to 4 days a week. We go out to lunch, before the pandemic it was more often, when we can. We take turns paying for lunch. Yesterday was my turn to pick up the tab.

Decided to veg out after lunch. Today is laundry day.

13. Feb 27, 2021 at 9:01 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S Thompson"

That’s my favorite Hunter S Thompson quote. From the book Hell’s Angels. I’ve read all Hunter Thompson’s books and although some are weird (gonzo journalism) I enjoy everything he wrote. That quote is truly the way a life lived well should be lived.

14. Feb 27, 2021 at 9:26 AM
    davidstacoma

davidstacoma Friendly Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR Access cab - Utility
    *OEM Mods: Intermittent wipers, Fogs, Keyless Entry, Lomax
    A fine quote and quite achievable.
    I myself was hoping to go out quickly in a nuclear explosion at a ripe old age in perfect health. Not quite as unrealistic as a buddy of mine who says he wants to go out in a shootout in a whorehouse at age 99. :D

15. Feb 27, 2021 at 11:38 AM
    Foster Imposter

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Out in the woods, GA
    Vehicle:
    2018 PRO MT
    Bumper2.jpg

16. Feb 27, 2021 at 12:10 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    WOW! Looks great. Looks like you are ready for some back country wheeling and mischief.

17. Feb 27, 2021 at 12:40 PM
    Oldie2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    Looks awesome, Art!

18. Feb 27, 2021 at 3:46 PM
    roundrocktom

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm still trying to figure the meaning of MOO!

I suspect the stickers are used after factory or port installation is done and removed before delivery.

I'll fess up trying to find it is some sort of easter egg.

upload_2021-2-27_17-38-26.jpg

19. Feb 27, 2021 at 4:04 PM
    Oldie2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    Modern Obligatory Obfusication? I don't know, my LBR is simply too old for those! :anonymous:

20. Feb 27, 2021 at 4:06 PM
    Travlr

Travlr Lost in the ozone again

Member:
    Middle'a Utah
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja Series Access Cab
    MOO... Mud Object Oriented is what my computer came up with.

As to what that means? I haven't a clue.

Products Discussed in

To Top