1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Apr 15, 2021 at 6:33 AM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    First hearing aids I got were nothing but expensive amplifiers. Just got new aids in November and love them. Adjustable through the android phone(also iphones) and you can answer calls and make calls through them. Biggest problem I have is forgetting to take them out at bed time. They are that comfortable. Many adjustments can be made through the phone for different situations. Also doctor can connect remotely to trouble shoot, make adjustments or just to say HI. Technology is good.

wdb, Pandaman59, MQQSE and 2 others like this.
  2. Apr 15, 2021 at 7:32 AM
    Oldie2007

Oldie2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Impulse Red Pearl DCSB SR5 PreRunner. 2020 RAV4Hybrid Limited
    A little something every chance we get.
    Good Morning Porch! Grey and COME ON rain! I watered last night, and might resort to washing cars! Today is our best shot.....

Got an errand to run, and was going to take the truck back to the AC guy, just to have him check pressure (as those switches can prevent it from running), but think I am going to put that off until my replacement sensor comes and I put it in. Other than that, I am hoping for a rainy day!!

3. Apr 15, 2021 at 7:37 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Yup...especially when I pulled it and saw that I bought it in January of 2011. :eek: The battery on the Z3 is in the trunk. I cleaned the battery compartment up a bit and sprayed it with a re-coat of grey paint. New battery is in place and the Z3 is running again.

95SLE, Harry2015, MtnAltitude and 4 others like this.
  4. Apr 15, 2021 at 7:39 AM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    Another thanks for posting those pics. of Jim Ken, the one on the right, which used to be his avatar, still gets my attention every time I see it, I have the gun, but not that scope!!! :)

MQQSE, Oldie2007 and johneman[OP] like this.
  5. Apr 15, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    Oldie2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    Ten years on a battery is almost like the OLD days!

6. Apr 15, 2021 at 8:11 AM
    roundrocktom

roundrocktom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver DCLB Off Road
    Texas heat kills batteries.

Lead is heavy, the old DieHards were good for six to eight years but weighed in at 70 pounds (group 24)

Newer Group 24 batteries are about 45 pounds. Hmmm, much be that "weight reduction" Oh wait, Toyota says "2 to 4 years is reasonable battery life".

7. Apr 15, 2021 at 8:13 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    :thumbsup: Hope you bring back some winding mtn road video.
    :fingerscrossed:

:)

8. Apr 15, 2021 at 8:15 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    Yes Sir, those "targets" were "out there" ... quite a bit "out there." :cool:

9. Apr 15, 2021 at 8:27 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    1st ... abort rant. ;)

2nd ... I grew up on DieHard batteries. A fond memory of my Dad, of which I have few ... but that's another story, was taking a 12ft jonboat to fish the pond on Great Grandma's farm in the back of that 1969 Blue Dodge pick-up. We'd pull the Diehard outta that Dodge, run an electric trolling motor for 8 to 12 hrs depending on the bite, then put it back in and 9 out a 10 times it'd fire that slant 6 right up. Always parked on a slight incline in case we needed to roll and pop the clutch. Even those times, with hour drive back home, old Diehard was good to go again. We did that year after year as I recall, never an issue ... heck, for most of my single digit years childhood.

Nice digging up the good memories every once in a while. :oops: :)

10. Apr 15, 2021 at 8:30 AM
    06Tacooo

06Tacooo Earth Czar

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    39° 14' N / 83° 13' W
    Vehicle:
    06 Off Road Access Cab Indigo Ink Pearl
    Michelin Defender LTX M/S2, ABS kill switch, Tech Deck, Mirror riser, Ride-Rites, BF Garmin GPS
    Don't cheap out on hearing aids, you won't be satisfied. My new Eargo Neo HiFi's are great! Federal insurance will cover the nut. :thumbsup:

11. Apr 15, 2021 at 8:39 AM
    Oldie2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    I do believe my very good Phonaks fall into the "now overpriced" category. I love my Audiologist group, but when these go, I am convinced there is more tech for less coin, and Medicare (is weird on coverage, but) should cover most!

Pandaman59 and johneman[OP] like this.
  12. Apr 15, 2021 at 11:03 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    TY This will be my first hearing aid. I want to stay with a hearing center audiologist but if I can save $1500 at Costco the hearing center better have a good business case for me buying the hearing aid there.

I hooked up with this team for mission support.

[​IMG]

I also have an Android TV along with my Samsung phone.

So far I have figured that much out. Going from one tier down to the top tier is only about $300 total for both hearing aids.

I am looking at Phonak Audeo Paradise P90 and the Starkey Livio Edge AI. Starkey is the only hearing aid made in America. I will spend more to keep them in business. How much more I am not sure. ;)

13. Apr 15, 2021 at 3:07 PM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    I don't quite know what it is about that car. I am in agreement with Enzo Ferrari that the E Type coupe is the most beautiful car ever. And yet there is a certain je ne sais quoi about the Toyota. I just love looking at them. Driving that one would be a lifetime high point.
    The very best thing you can do regarding hearing aids is hook up with an audiologist with a doctorate degree, who does NOT sell just one or two brands of hearing aids. They will give you the best bang for the buck. For my first pair I'd recommend going that direction before Costco, although I too have heard very good things about them.
    My dad got top-of-the line aids through the VA for $0. I cannot agree more, don't cheap out.

14. Apr 15, 2021 at 3:26 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    I’ll tell you a story. When I started working for my friend in 1995 he was the boss.
    So over a few years he saw my talent and let me work on more interesting cars.
    The game changer was when I took the exhaust system from a pantara and turned it from
    The overseas look into the American version.
    He walked over and said that was one hell of a job and our friendship grew.
    So the sister car you see here was the #33. I drove that in a video when it was being
    Promoted. Power sliding around the dealership was quite the ordeal.
    The 23 car was set up for a smaller person.
    At the time I needed hip surgery. I could not get into the car.
    So when people ask how’s it go ,I say it goes great. Just cost me $43,000 to get behind the wheel..lol

Just remember, these cars cost millions..
    And I’m dirt tracking these things around the parking lot.lol

Pandaman59, MQQSE, 06Tacooo and 6 others like this.
  15. Apr 15, 2021 at 4:01 PM
    roundrocktom

roundrocktom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver DCLB Off Road
    Number 23 is one sweet ride.

There was run running around Sacramento back in the day. The service member brought it back; for a while, it still had a Japanese plate. He stopped in the auto place where I was working, and I was hooked. We did a quick drive, but at 6'3" and 220 at the time, it was not comfortable for me. I don't remember the full details, but inline-six with Mukuni's?

Datsun Silvia was another "how the hell do I get in this thing?". Based on the Datsun 1600 roadster, the same chassis but was a coupe. I never officially came into the USA, but a few came back.

My cousin was working at the USO. She caught a flight home, told her parents to meet her at the airbase as she had a few things for her new house. 1968? It was a C130 full of furniture! She ended up getting a few friends to help her with moving stuff (troop transports). It had been a crazy year, but I think that was the year Margret and Bob Hope toured, so she was in the background trying to get everything to run smoothly. Crazy times, but top brass loved her and would tell the troops, "just do it".

It was funny as anything, but she was driving cross country with her kids, AC stopped working. Stopped by on a hot August day. Had a cold glass of water, a bottle of wine ready, and no sooner did she hit the door proclaiming "pool time" and strip off and jump in. Her kids looked a little aghast at their mother. I didn't share any of the USO stories. Our grandmother was tossed out of a very fancy theater at age 17 for "indecent exposure" hot day and she didn't wear full-length stockings and had bare ankles. 1900.

Little too much excitement. I was bringing in water from outside, dark sky but no rain just a normal day that seemed a little darker. Leaned over, picked up a five-gallon jug, and suddenly sounded like sizing bacon. All the hair on my head went straight out, I just dropped the bottle and rolled under the truck as boom and the flash hit. For the life of me, I can tell where it hit, but it was way too close. HR finally is coming back down, but it was racing for a while.

Hail did a number on the truck and cap. Oh well, I've got enough to deal with. I like calm, peaceful days. Had to look, but the anniversary of Jarrel isn't until the end of May. Both my vehicles were totaled by hail 24 years ago. Maybe I should wait until June to file a claim on Tacoma.

Rain reduced the size of those hailstones, but about 2" when they first hit. No broken glass, but the hood and roof, and cap look a little lumpy.

20210415_164110.jpg

wdb, Pandaman59, MQQSE and 3 others like this.
  16. Apr 15, 2021 at 5:59 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    Evening all:
    Darn, sounds like you had a close call, glad you're OK, sorry to hear about the hail damage to the truck and the cap.

17. Apr 15, 2021 at 6:15 PM
    Oldie2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    I was hoping you were going to say the Taco was unscathed.....sorry man. We just made it to 0.02"..

Pandaman59, Devious6 and johneman[OP] like this.
  18. Apr 15, 2021 at 6:18 PM
    Oldie2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    :burnrubber:

johneman[OP] likes this.
  19. Apr 15, 2021 at 6:28 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Dave: My gut feeling is telling me the same thing. The center I am going to sells all of the top names in the business including the two I would like to consider for purchase.

20. Apr 15, 2021 at 6:35 PM
    Oldie2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    Good Audiologists can show, explain, and let you hear audible differences. There weren't so many small choices back when I got mine. There are now. You are on the right path, Tom!

wdb, Pandaman59 and johneman[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top