1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Apr 19, 2021 at 1:24 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    :101010: :thumbsup:

Pandaman59, 06Tacooo, Travlr and 2 others like this.
  2. Apr 19, 2021 at 2:32 PM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    keep-secret-be-quiet-concept-three-secretive-men-keeping-mouth-shut-127250761.jpg

06Tacooo, Pandaman59 and Oldie2007 like this.
  3. Apr 19, 2021 at 2:33 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    Aaaah ... the three hipsters. :laughing:

4. Apr 19, 2021 at 2:46 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    Evening all:
    Finding an orange bell pepper and getting good news about the ticker is a good day Kurt! :thumbsup:
    I would bet there is a guy on here with a nice greenhouse who could grow some nice orange bell peppers for you!! :D

Found the owner of the store today, at another store he owns, and told him about how that woman is acting. Have since found out that she's being nasty to others as well, and some won't go in the store when she's there, good to know that I'm not the only one having a problem with her.

WOW-WOW-WOW!!!
    Ran into a buddy of mine today, he's 60 and he quit his job after 42yrs at the same place.
    He is a machinist who was making $30 an hr. with scheduled overtime on some jobs, also had 7 wks. paid vacation.
    He said he had had it and couldn't take it anymore, he and the bosses son were the only employees there and he basically ran the shop, said the bosses son became an A**H*** and was doing things seemingly just to make things harder for him, plus the boss kept trying to pile more work on him, he tried to talk to the boss and it more or less came down to "blood is thicker than water", see ya!!!
    Believe me, his guy is a really nice guy, for him to give up that job and related pay and vacation after all those years, it had to really be getting bad, guess there's a breaking point for everyone and he figured enough is enough, I've had it!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  5. Apr 19, 2021 at 3:29 PM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    Sorry to hear that Rob III. I have had a FB account since, hmmm, let me think, 2008? I met this guy with a Honda Fit (I had one too) and he was going racing with it and I thought why not follow him. I discovered a bunch of high school classmates, most of whom I AVOIDED like THE PLAGUE. Didn't like them then, etc. I also discovered a heck of a lot of family members -- my dad was part of a huge brood, several of whom had huge broods of their own, on both sides of his timeline. If that makes any sense! Anyway I was able to keep up with them in ways never before possible. Because of FB.

What I did not do, and still do VERY sparingly, is post anything up. Look but don't touch, maybe? Anyway. Food for thought and all that.

Gasoline! I am fortunate enough to have an ethanol-free station just over the hill from here. Small place, mom and pop kind of thing. Apparently it is popular because a Wawa (gigantic gas/food/goodies/highway stop places in my area -- think 7-Eleven on steroids) a bit more of a drive from here is now offering ethanol free gas at some of its pumps. I have been using it in all my small engines, and I also fill up the 'toy' large vehicles before putting them to bed for the winter. No problems so far. Before that I used additives aimed at stabilizing ethanol fuel, they seemed to work okay too.

6. Apr 19, 2021 at 3:40 PM
    Oldie2007

Oldie2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Impulse Red Pearl DCSB SR5 PreRunner. 2020 RAV4Hybrid Limited
    A little something every chance we get.
    Yeah, I know a guy here..... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

On the fed up note, when I got let go, even though I have briefly thought of it, I find I have NO desire whatsoever to work on someone else's demands. (Well, except for the wife - I do want to live....) I liked what I was doing at the end, I did have a reasonable to good boss, but the corporation as a whole; "meh!"

When I cleaned out a couple boxes of office stuff last week to rescue photos and plaques and such, all the company awards that didn't really mean anything to me anymore hit the herby-kerby, and we're gone that day. Frames and all. I only hear from one guy from the plant, because of Cars and Coffee. Now and then, a couple on FB. I reached that point where even the memories took up more room than they were worth, I bet he did too.

7. Apr 19, 2021 at 4:59 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    WOW is right! 42 years and still earning only half of what he should. This is an example of what can happen when an employer knows his employee is so loyal he’ll never quit. Everyone should move on, step up to higher earnings supported by past experience, several times in his working life. Build a resume, keep it current, and put it out there every time it looks significantly stronger.

8. Apr 19, 2021 at 5:16 PM
    Travlr

Travlr Lost in the ozone again

Member:
    Middle'a Utah
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja Series Access Cab
    Hard to say if any labor is underpaid from what was said. Besides, anyone should be earning more from their own effort outside of work eventually, if they know how to make money. A steady paycheck that doesn't impede extracurricular activities can be better than chasing dollars and spending all your time having to relearn and adapt every step of the way.

9. Apr 19, 2021 at 5:58 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    Evening all:

Little different pay scale here in our area alan, he was making somewhat decent money for the area, but he has mentioned several times that some other machine shops paid more to start than he was making after all those years. He says he has some type of pension plan that he his boss has complete control of, THAT COULD TURN OUT TO BE BAD, sure hope not.

10. Apr 19, 2021 at 6:23 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    Dave, I can appreciate what you're saying, and did for that matter. But after the two bad experiences, I just don't see the benefit being worth the risk and subsequent frustration and outright anger. Thank you though.

11. Apr 19, 2021 at 8:06 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    Boats, I didn’t consider differences in regional pay scales, my bad. We in the west have such high cost of living, it just seems impossible to survive on wages less than ours. This whole economic structure out here is so interdependent, I’m wondering if it is our strength or our weakness.

Pandaman59 and johneman[OP] like this.
  12. Apr 19, 2021 at 8:17 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Rob, it seems that there are two kinds of people, those that recognize the multiple risks of Doing FB, and those that ignore all the warning signs for whatever reason. Even this forum itself has an element of risk, as we have made more personal info public than we realize, thinking at every posting that this tidbit or that tidbit doesn’t matter, but those that would take advantage of us are taking notes right and left.

13. Apr 19, 2021 at 8:26 PM
    Mcsosgt110

Mcsosgt110 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trd offroad
    In the works
    I have looked at Tacoma world for a few years. This is the first time I noticed this thread. Read the last few pages and I am probably hooked. Been 60 for almost a year, hello everyone, check tomorrow .

14. Apr 20, 2021 at 12:14 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    Indeed very true Alan.

Respect :oldglory:
    Rob

15. Apr 20, 2021 at 1:26 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Come on over and join us on the porch! Grab a cold one from the cooler...oh, and new folks have to fill the cooler. :D Glad that you found us!!

16. Apr 20, 2021 at 1:27 AM
    Devious6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Good morning everyone!!

Did some running around yesterday morning and then finished up taking all the old hardware and pulling rusty nails and bolts from the old wooden swing set I pulled down that got grazed by the tree that fell. Ready to go in the dumpster when we begin work on the old greenhouse.

Also set up a new bee colony for a friend so the bees can pollinate his fruit trees. After a month or so, we'll move the colony back here to our place. It was fun to work with them. They were a little aggressive when we opened the box but then calmed down nicely.

Grass cutting for the first time this year today!!

Be safe out there!!

17. Apr 20, 2021 at 2:00 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    Mornin' 6 :wave:

18. Apr 20, 2021 at 2:08 AM
    Devious6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Good morning, Rob!!

19. Apr 20, 2021 at 3:24 AM
    Foster Imposter

Foster Imposter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Out in the woods, GA
    Vehicle:
    2018 PRO MT
    Just about got everything we need , just post up your ss# ... :anonymous: :eek:

Joking, of course.
    Good morning everyone!

20. Apr 20, 2021 at 3:45 AM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Good Morning Folks:hattip:.

Welcome to the porch. Life is good on the porch. We have folks from all over this great country on here. Pretty much any topic (except the C of C banning topics) are welcome. There are a few hunters, fishermen, motorheads, and anything else you might want to post about. Great group on here. Welcome and enjoy.

I have to go out to the shed and find the "Welcome To The Porch" sign.

Have a great day all and be safe.

Products Discussed in

To Top