1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. May 7, 2021 at 6:44 AM
    taco pops

taco pops Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    West Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2016 black SR5 Tacoma DCSB
    Side Steps, Tonneau cover
    Good morning all plus Susan,

Ken, Don't get your hair cut. Revert back to the 70's when I'll bet you had shoulder length hair. After all that is the "IN" thing today. Just look at all of the pro athletes. If you leave your hair long you will look much younger and your wife will like it. LOL

Russ

2. May 7, 2021 at 6:45 AM
    GREENBIRD56

GREENBIRD56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Casper / Tucson
    Vehicle:
    014 Taco 4Dr 4wd
    Last year I built these "end tables" for the patio. Flue tile base, patio stones for the top, cheap Mexican pots, and walkway lights ....... Dogs can't spill your beer so easy on these.
    yard lamp project.jpg

Ordered 15 tons of "new" gravel for "renewal" project this coming weekend. Need to rent a skid steer or something like that!

MQQSE, 06Tacooo, Devious6 and 3 others like this.
  3. May 7, 2021 at 6:51 AM
    Oldie2007

Oldie2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Impulse Red Pearl DCSB SR5 PreRunner. 2020 RAV4Hybrid Limited
    A little something every chance we get.
    Figured you'd be growing your own rocks out there by now! (I only shop by the bag! :anonymous:)

06Tacooo, Devious6 and johneman[OP] like this.
  4. May 7, 2021 at 7:02 AM
    MtnAltitude

MtnAltitude AKA: Grump-a-saurus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colorado Mtns
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro AG, 1971 FJ40 - all MT
    Good morning all,

Love the plant projects, if we did that here all we would be doing is feeding the wildlife. Alice misses having a flower garden so we keep to a few on the covered deck but the racoons love them so we are back to feeding the wildlife - sheesh..

Alice works in the local lumber yard (not a big box a real lumber yard) OSB (plywood) went to $73.00 a sheet yesterday - their cost. Framing packages have increased 150% in the last six months, bids are now only good for one week not 30 days as in the past. Hardware like screws (China products) are impossible to get right now, inventory is depleting quickly.

Need to run a few errands today, meds and bank. It has been a long time since I was paid with a real check, almost everyone I work with uses direct deposit software these days. Taking the dogs for a fieldtrip - we will all get a kick out if it...

Have a great and safe day,

5. May 7, 2021 at 7:19 AM
    davidstacoma

davidstacoma Friendly Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR Access cab - Utility
    *OEM Mods: Intermittent wipers, Fogs, Keyless Entry, Lomax
    $73 wholesale cost for OSB is crazy. Hopefully the mills will crank production back up soon to drop the prices back down, I read they had cut back production due to fears the pandemic would severely reduce demand. $7-8 for a 2x4? No thanks!
    3ED229D2-9EBB-4B32-BB67-FBD907F2ACB3.jpg

6. May 7, 2021 at 7:30 AM
    bucktales

bucktales *Retired* curmudgeon

Member:
    Ct.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport AC / 2014 FJC/ 1972 Rally Nova
    I have some catching up to do.
    Been on "leftover 2020" vacation for the last 2 weeks and the original intent was to Turkey hunt and yardworking for vacation.

Had a medical issue that landed me in the hospital tuesday night that ended my Turkey season abruptly. (I almost ended abruptly as well if I didn't go to the ER.)

I always liked the TC Hawken, but never had one. A friend gave me his .50 Renegade cap gun with TC peeps on it. Didn't use it much as I was always a .54 fan.

When I hunted Turkey this season, I was using my Pedersoli 12ga SxS cap gun. Has screw in chokes and Mossberg chokes fit nicely. Patterns great with full chokes at 35.
    Had some misfires when I got it. Typical Undersized flash channels in the pedersoli nipples. Had them bored out to 1mm and ignition is no longer an issue.

Pedersoli
    IMG_1826 2.jpg

Here's the lock on my .54 Jager. Made by The Rifle Shoppe. Pretty much hand fitted, tuned and timed by the builder.. Ignition is instant.

IMG_1147.jpg

7. May 7, 2021 at 8:05 AM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    Morning all:
    Instant ignition is good on a FL, those are neat black powder guns you are hunting with! :thumbsup:
    Hope that whatever landed you in the ER is temporary and that you will be able to get back to turkey hunting, plenty of time left, I haven't even gone out yet! :(

8. May 7, 2021 at 9:26 AM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Afternoon folks. Just got back from the knee surgeon. I didn't know I would have to jump through this many hoops just to get the knee done. Blood work, one PT session to say I tried PT and it didn't help, Covid test, CAT scan, pre op exam and then if all goes well I can get the knee done on June 17th. Talked with the doctor for about 20 minutes and he rest of the time was spent reading forms and waivers then signing them all :eek:.

I would love to let it grow Russ, but the wife said NO WAY ( Happy wife, Happy life). Besides, It's easier to take care of when it's short and doesn't get in your eyes on a windy day.

Hope your trip to the ER wasn't a permanent issue problem Buck. You need to get out and do some hunting. Take care.

9. May 8, 2021 at 1:13 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Good morning, all! Raining here this morning. Definitely ready for some warm weather.

Got the grass cut and picked up yesterday - the way our weather pattern has been you have to get it cut when you have the opportunity.

Speaking of cutting, I bought a set of electric clippers last March and have been cutting my own hair since then. Once the barber shops reopened I just decided to save the $$ and keep cutting it. I had hair below my shoulders in high school...and now hate the feel if it touches the back of my neck. :eek: :rofl:

10. May 8, 2021 at 1:16 AM
    Harry2015

Harry2015 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    N.E. PA
  11. May 8, 2021 at 3:40 AM
    johneman

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    Good Morning Folks. Never did make it to the barber for a trim yesterday. Spent 2 hours at the surgeons between talking with him, reading and signing waivers and answering health questions on a tablet. Then when I got home I had to make appointments for one PT session so they can confirm I did PT and it didn't help (insurance company protocol), an appointment for a CAT scan of the knee, and an appointment for the pre-op physical plus I have to have a blood test and covid test within 2 weeks before the surgery :annoyed:. Deb said it's because I'm "old" and that's why all the test's. My answer to her was "Who you calling OLD". Well, if all goes well with everything :fingerscrossed:, I get the new knee on June 17th :thumbsup:. Then it will be several weeks of therapy.

I hope after they get it brewing as good as here in PA. They say the water has a lot to do with the flavor.?.? Enjoy when you can get it.:cheers:

12. May 8, 2021 at 3:58 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Ken: PT has always worked for me to fix my problems. I have had three separate issues where I needed PT for extended periods of time and all three fixed the problems. You just need to do the PT every day even if your sessions are once a week. Best of luck with the new knee.

Picked up the hearing aids yesterday then went out to a early dinner with the wife. It was a decent day. We were able to sit outside and enjoy the water for dinner even with the overcast skies. It did not start to rain till we were on the way home. It will take a while to get used to the hearing aids. Right before I went to bed my ears started to itch. All in all a good first day with hearing aids.

Today it is off to the garden center early to purchase plants for the front of the house. Why the wife wanted to wait to do this today is beyond me but here I am. I will try to remember to throw up some before and after pics.

13. May 8, 2021 at 4:34 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Good Morning from Monkey Mtn to all the Cool Old Dudes & Susan :wave:

We've had great 3 days and still have today to go. Life is good and stress free on the mtn. :)

:hattip: Glad to read you're getting in some reel time Carl. :thumbsup:

Grass...hair...close enough I reckon. :laughing:
    :eek: Well darn Buck, glad you are still kickin'.

You have some really fine rifles there, thanks for sharing. :cool:

:hattip: 6
    Almost 10 years after AD retirement before I could tolerate growing a beard, now I'm working on going "Duck Dynasty/Mountain Man" with it; but I still have keep my hair off my ears and neck. ;)

:hattip: Ken
    That process is the same as my friend Randy went through; he's 58.

We'd sure like to have Yeungling available up here. :cheers:

Stay safe, healthy, and happy ALL!

Respect :oldglory: GBA
    Rob

14. May 8, 2021 at 4:39 AM
    johneman

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    It doesn't take too long to get used to the hearing aids Tom. I have gotten so used to them, I have already gone to bed with them in. I enjoy the functionality of being able to adjust them for different scenarios. I go to see the ear doctor on Wednesday for the 6 month check up, cleaning and readjustment if needed. I hope you get as much positive use with yours as I have with mine. It's nice to hear the whole conversation :thumbsup:.

ImpulseRed008, Travlr, wdb and 5 others like this.
  15. May 8, 2021 at 5:47 AM
    Oldie2007

Oldie2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Impulse Red Pearl DCSB SR5 PreRunner. 2020 RAV4Hybrid Limited
    A little something every chance we get.
    :pccoffee: Good Morning Porchies! Better be careful, might not be my day. Phone woke me up with FedEX notice delivery of blinds for my Mothers Day project will be Monday, not today. Email from my solar array says it didn't make any power yesterday - can't check that until sunshine starts. Oh well. Projected rain, blind reschedule, means maybe I need to reschedule mowing to this weekend. I should go back to bed!

Glad you're still hanging out with us @bucktales ! My ER visit was a necessary surprise too. Now, you probably have to do what they tell you like me!

Ken, hearing aids and knees...I got all that. They do the blood test because they have to have a lot on hand when they do knees - in case they need it! The young kid Doc that did mine (well travelled expert though) gave me enough details I had to have him stop - I just didn't need to know all that!! :eek::eek:

16. May 8, 2021 at 9:42 AM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    Itchy ears should pass, but even after 30-ish years of HA wear I still have to scratch in there sometimes! I had PT when my hip was replaced; I had a newish procedure done called "direct anterior approach" where they go in from the front instead of the side, and the PT guy had never heard of it and gave me a bunch of exercises that were pretty much useless. It was a waste of money IMO. I don't think that's always the case but it was for me.
    Funny you should mention late delivery. I ordered some stuff on Amazon that I have gotten before in 2 days; this time it is taking 10.

I was out wedge/sledge splitting some of the bigger ash pieces this morning, getting them down to a size small enough to split with the Mighty Ox. I have been having issues with my right shoulder, to the point where I take pain meds *before* I start working. At this point I think that whatever is going on in there is going to have to be looked at. I ended up swinging lefty -- not a pretty sight!

Later this afternoon I go over to a local restaurant to pick up our Mother's Day brunch. They prep everything and give instructions on how to reheat it. It's pretty cool how they do it -- pretty much everything goes into a 350 degree oven for some greater or lesser amount of time. The best thing of all is that I'll have 3 different mothers here tomorrow and none of them will have to cook! :)

17. May 8, 2021 at 1:02 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    @johneman
    Ken, about PT, just do it. My uncle didn't do his, and wound up with a useless hand. My wife can't stand up straight because she didn't do hers. Start out gently, and increase just a little every day.

18. May 8, 2021 at 1:20 PM
    johneman

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the advice Alan. This is a one time PT before surgery to appease the insurance company that I need the surgery. Believe me when I tell you that I am a big fan of PT after the surgery. I had rotator cuff and bicep tendon reattach surgery and after PT I have 99.9% use and mobility in my shoulder. Even the surgeon was glad. Once the doctor gives me the okay I will definitely be at PT. Thanks.

MQQSE and Oldie2007 like this.
  19. May 8, 2021 at 1:25 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    The year of the root.
    I hate roots.
    Gotta get 3 more out before my final patio block circle is started

15EDB095-ADA8-42F2-BE0D-217D1DA57AFA.jpg

157D7A87-8F1F-4329-97F2-9F53B521A29E.jpg

20. May 8, 2021 at 1:27 PM
    johneman

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    :annoyed: pull one end up and it travels 5 feet. :annoyed: Good luck Mike.

Products Discussed in

To Top