1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. May 14, 2021 at 4:00 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    Evening all:
    :eek: Holy crap Mike, sounds like you have had it to put it mildly, time to do what you enjoy and want to do now.
    My buddy who quit his job after 42 yrs. has no regrets, figured enough is enough and it was time to move on.

Welcome to the thread Steve, first fill up the cooler and then pull up a chair on the porch, we're like the morning coffee group and anything other than politics is acceptable to discuss.

Steve60, 06Tacooo, Sprig and 2 others like this.
  2. May 14, 2021 at 4:40 PM
    Oldie2007

Oldie2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Impulse Red Pearl DCSB SR5 PreRunner. 2020 RAV4Hybrid Limited
    A little something every chance we get.
    Afternoon, and welcome Ed! This is a real easy place to be!

Welcome over to this thread Steve! Don't need to see a pic of the last Taco this time!

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  3. May 14, 2021 at 5:12 PM
    RustyGreen

RustyGreen A breaker point guy in a Bluetooth world

Member:
    sleeping in a chair
    Vehicle:
    2017 AC 4x4 Sport 6M Inferno
    Pavement Princess
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: Double like that eloquent post, good for you man!

I have been following along with your story for quite a while and picking up on your increasing frustration -- and also the tremendous respect that other forum members, including myself, have for you. So glad you did it! :)

MtnAltitude, Sprig and johneman[OP] like this.
  4. May 14, 2021 at 6:40 PM
    Steve60

Steve60 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Boerne TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Red TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    I'm actually in Texas, but like to spend as much time as I can in New Mexico. My wife and I are looking forward to the galleries there in Taos, and will likely partake in the restaurant scene also!

5. May 14, 2021 at 6:41 PM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Welcome to the porch Steve. Glad you didn't have major injuries from your accident. Enjoy the posts.

I am happy for you Mike that you are retiring on your terms. Congratulations. Now you can set your schedule for doing what you enjoy. Enjoy.

6. May 15, 2021 at 1:18 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Welcome to the porch from another Pennsyltuckyvanian!!!

MtnAltitude, Sprig, Oldie2007 and 2 others like this.
  7. May 15, 2021 at 1:20 AM
    Devious6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Congrats on the new truck and welcome to the porch!!

8. May 15, 2021 at 1:40 AM
    Devious6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Mike, let me start by offering you my heartfelt congratulations and respect. Many people struggle their entire work-life trying to find their niche, to find what they are good at and, more importantly, what they love. You, my friend, are among the few who recognize their passion early in life. And, when passion meets ability, that is just magic. I would love to just sit and listen to your tales of racing and from your work experience. I would love to have just a bit of your mechanical talent and your ability to just know how things go and work together. You are a Master Automotive Technician. But, you are more than that because many others get that designation who don't have the final bits of ingredients that make it all special - passion, integrity, honesty, caring. Those take talent to the level few really ever achieve. That's you, Mike. That's the type of person most of us wish we had working on our vehicles when we drop them off for service or have a problem. What we get, typically, is the one without those extra ingredients - those who bend to the pressures of management. That you did not speaks volumes about who you are as a person - the guy we have seen here on the porch with us.

In my mind, integrity and honesty are the most crucial traits when I'm working with people. We all make mistakes. But, not being honest, not having integrity is a CHOICE. And once you give them up it is near impossible to regain them.

I hope you are as proud of yourself as we are of you right now. I hope we get more time to hear your stories now. And, I hope you, truly, realize how much respect I have for you as a Master Automotive Technician but, most importantly, as a person. Well done, my friend.

9. May 15, 2021 at 1:43 AM
    Devious6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Good morning everyone!!!

I managed not to hurt myself..or anyone else yesterday playing golf. Mission accomplished. I also finally got a coat of water seal on the deck boards of the trailer before I left for the course.

Lynn is at her sister's place outside of Philadelphia and they are flying to Atlanta today to spend a few days with their youngest sister. So, I am on my own and unsupervised - just me and the dogs. Be very afraid.

I'm going to take a sample of our pool water in to have it analyzed this morning to see how much salt I need to add. Then I'm going to start up the heater and throw the solar cover on so I can get the water temperature up high enough so the chlorine cell starts to generate chlorine. I might even get in a first swim by tomorrow.

I need to pick up a new door for the greenhouse at Lowe's but I am thinking it will be packed today so I think I'll hold off until Monday for that.

Oh, and I need to cut the grass. Today looks like a good day to do that, too.

Be safe and enjoy the day!!!

10. May 15, 2021 at 3:21 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    :thumbsup: I usually donate every 2 months. The questions have increased due to the C19 but it really no big deal. The Bloodmobile is attached to a hospital and for the most part the donated blood stays in the community or in the local area. It does feel good to donate the gift of life.

WOW Handsome pup and the Tacoma is stunning. I liked the color when it first came out and it does look stunning. The Harley is good looking too. I stopped riding a long time ago.

Welcome to the threads Steve. Sorry your Tacoma was totaled.

Lots of respect Mike. I am sure a lot of your loyal customers are sorry to see you leave. A great automotive mechanic is a good find. I have been taking my vehicles to the same shop for over 30 years now because they are honest and stand behind their work.

Yesterday was about donating blood in the AM the we went and picked up some more plants, vegetable and flowers, to plant today.

20210514_082723.jpg 20210514_084047.jpg

11. May 15, 2021 at 3:57 AM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Good Morning Folks.
    Looks to be a nice day brewing for today. This is going to be the year I get to go crazy. Deb and I are doing a major kitchen rebuild. We hired a fellow who came very highly recommended to do our cabinets but due to the covid, he is behind schedule so he is expecting a delivery date around July 19. Then I have to hope my knee is good enough for me to rip out the old cabinets and tear down the pantry so the new cabinets can be installed. All new appliances came in sooner than the vender expected and they are giving us a hard time about storing them but we don't have the room for them yet. I am going to start demo'ing the kitchen pantry door today and if time allows(as well as the wife) I might start taking down some of the upper cabinets. We were hoping to have the kitchen done by June but it sure isn't going to happen. I guess you can say all the planning can only work when all parties involved are on the same page. I just hope it all comes together.
    Have a great day folks and be safe.

12. May 15, 2021 at 4:19 AM
    Travlr

Travlr Lost in the ozone again

Member:
    Middle'a Utah
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja Series Access Cab
    I took the black truck in to a new mechanic in town. My usual mechanic is still recovering from having a foot of his colon removed.

The guy gave me an appointment two weeks ago, so he is already too busy to get things in quickly, and he gave me an estimate to replace a rear wheel bearing. It seems that nowadays the most common result is that you get the work done in twice the time claimed and at a significantly higher price.

But I picked up my truck yesterday, at noon on the day promised, and the bill was less than originally quoted.

I think this guy is gonna work out.

13. May 15, 2021 at 6:04 AM
    Oldie2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    :proposetoast:Hear, hear!

MtnAltitude, johneman[OP] and Sprig like this.
  14. May 15, 2021 at 6:10 AM
    Oldie2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    :pccoffee: Good Morning Porchites! One more Congrats @Tacoma Mike - hope you slept in just once to prove you could!

Starting to sprinkle here, and on and off rain predicted though next Thursday. The rest of the blinds came, so I will be doing that today, probably little else. Been putzing on those bins and drawers of old hardware while I wait on the truck - which is now going to be a little longer. I'm getting depressed. It's all he is working on. After the compressor went in, the expansion valve was found to be a problem, and then he couldn't get the part delivered. Now, it's shutting itself off before getting pressure, and he can't find it. Just have to hold out a little more. Damn it.

15. May 15, 2021 at 6:15 AM
    Steve60

Steve60 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Boerne TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Red TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    @mike - There’s nothing like hearing a man speak his truth. I hope to be as eloquent and true as you when my time comes to Be Done. Congratulations on your new status and wisdom.

16. May 15, 2021 at 6:18 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Thank You.
    Long and winding path to this point for sure

17. May 15, 2021 at 6:31 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Thank You so very much.
    I was reading this to Carol and I couldn’t finish. We were both crying our eyes out.
    Your words have touched me dearly.
    I am forever grateful...

18. May 15, 2021 at 7:01 AM
    4x4spiegel

4x4spiegel Well-Known Member

Member:
  19. May 15, 2021 at 7:56 AM
    MtnAltitude

MtnAltitude AKA: Grump-a-saurus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colorado Mtns
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro AG, 1971 FJ40 - all MT
    Good morning all,

Congrats Mike, not only on your retirement but more importantly on being able to walk away on your terms. I have been fortunate to follow you on both this thread and the 50's for over a year now. There is no way I could put in words how much respect we have for you as the Colonel put it so elegantly. Welcome to retirement, now its your turn to enjoy. Looking forward to more racing stories. RESPECT

Welcome Steve, as you can see there are a lot of really great people on this thread and it isn't always about our Taco's. Welcome to the porch

Nice morning here need to jump out and get a few things done, severe weather expected this afternoon - have to cover two vehicles that don't get under cover - new windshields and hail is predicted. Hail at this altitude can be really heavy and damaging - to the point the county plows are parked in readiness.

Have a great day everyone and Colonel be safe LOL

20. May 15, 2021 at 10:20 AM
    cheech1

cheech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, HI
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Off Road
    We used to have three cats...dog thinks she's a cat.
    Dotter is a vet tech.

Mike, YOU DA MAN!!! Congrats!

Last edited: May 15, 2021

Products Discussed in

To Top