1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Making Roux

Roux is a thickener for sauces and soups that combines equal parts flour and butter.
    Roux Recipes

While you might not know the term, you know the technique: a basic white sauce, such as the base for macaroni and cheese, starts with a roux.

Related Links

Roux ("roo") is used to thicken sauces and soups. Pre-cooking flour allows the starch granules to swell and absorb moisture, and lets you thicken a sauce base without the flour clumping or forming lumps. Rouxs are also used to deepen the flavor of a sauce: browning the flour gives it a nutty, toasted flavor.
    Colors of roux

Roux can be white, blond, brown, or dark. The color just depends on how long you cook the fat-flour mixture. While none are better or worse than the others, it does affect flavor and how much the roux can thicken. For an in-depth description and photos of different types of roux, see our All About Roux article.

Cook and stir

To make a basic roux, use equal weights of fat and flour. Four ounces of fat and four ounces of flour equal about 8 ounces of roux (moisture will evaporate). If you don't own a kitchen scale, one tablespoon of flour equals about ¼ ounce. One tablespoon butter = ½ ounce. Butter is the most commonly used form of fat; other fats can be used, but will have a different flavor. Melt the butter over medium heat; slowly add the flour to the butter, whisking constantly. Within 2 to 3 minutes the roux will have a consistency of a cake frosting. A white roux is done when the flour loses its "raw" smell and begins to develop a toasty aroma. Darker roux are cooked, stirring constantly, until the desired color. If you're not adding liquid, immediately remove the pan from the heat and transfer the roux to another container to cool. Be very careful: the hot fat-flour mixture can cause painful burns. Refrigerated or frozen roux will keep well for up to two months and can be added directly to soups or sauces for quick thickening.

=====Make my own rue this is it ^^^^^. Lots of okra & celery,, smoked sausage ,,Lots of mid size shrimp,,,over hot Thai rice==:drool::drool::drool::drool::hungry:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  2. Jun 7, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Damn Jim, looks and sounds delicious:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::drool::drool:...
    Did you ever think about making the dish for resale "Jim's Gumbo" :D

3. Jun 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Too much like work,,,I do use this place for some stuff ,,,They have real good food and :)fixins [​IMG]

4. Jun 7, 2013 at 4:32 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
  5. Jun 7, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    They make real cajun food ..You & I cant buy the stuff to make a dish for what they are selling ready to eat for... shipping is the hold back,,,,If you ship ground its not too bad..:D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  6. Jun 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    JCruiser

JCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner SR-5 A/T 6Cyl
    Pioneer AVH P 2400BT, powder coated wheels, fog light mod, tail gate anti-theft, Classio leather seat covers, light bar with KC off-road lights, rocker panel protection strips, bed compartment door locks, addl. bed "D" rings, window tint & floor mats.
    Rota, Spain. My son is stationed there on active duty in the Navy.

7. Jun 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    JCruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer AVH P 2400BT, powder coated wheels, fog light mod, tail gate anti-theft, Classio leather seat covers, light bar with KC off-road lights, rocker panel protection strips, bed compartment door locks, addl. bed "D" rings, window tint & floor mats.

Hi johneman . I like Crystal River and anything off the gulf coast the best. I have gone on dive trips off of Aruba, St. Thomas and the Florida keys.

I see you were in the Canoe Club, too. I was there 1969-1999. Nothing like a good 10 foot stop (dive term for you landlubbers).

8. Jun 9, 2013 at 3:46 AM
    johneman

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    Morning All...I put the Cajun Grocer in my address book. Now if I can only get the missus out of the house for a few days so I can mix up a batch(she is the pickiest eater and doesn't like the smell) :hungry:

Hi Chief, Haven't done any gulf diving yet, but someday I'll get down to Fla. for a dive or two. always wanted to dive the Keys but settle for Cayman for now (time share). We try to do mostly shore dives because we hate spending money and have somebody telling us how, what and when:rolleyes:. On a dive in Mauai HI., we got in the water and one guy sucked his tank dry in 15 minutes:eek: and the dive master on the dive wanted us all to go up. The remainder of the divers gave him the middle finger salute. And even with that we were only down 40 minutes. doing shore diving we dive our own profile(staying within the limits) and still get plenty of bottom time. Icluding a 10 foot deco stop.

9. Jun 9, 2013 at 6:02 AM
    JCruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    That is far out. I have never had the pleasure to see bubbles in Hawaii, but have heard it is wonderful. I guess the closest I got was near Coronado in the early '70s, then in Subic Bay, PI. Had plenty of brown water time though - a real waste because visibility was 6" and nothing but slime (I am sure you know what I mean). Think about swapping your Cancun for a Florida Key time share sometime. You may like it! Rodger Dodger over and out!

10. Jun 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
  11. Jun 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    :playball::playball:

Starting to research LED landscape lighting today as I get ready for the home front makeover. New front door lights bought and delivered. 4 LED candelabra bulbs bought and waiting delivery. New mailbox and house number plaque bought and waiting delivery. The one boxwood I wanted to salvage was transplanted to a new location yesterday. I still need to dig up some lily's and give them to a neighbor to fill in her hillside she is reclaiming from overgrowth.

Not bad considering the real work begins on July 1st.

12. Jun 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Hopefully you are doing before, during and after pics... :D

13. Jun 10, 2013 at 3:07 AM
    johneman

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    Hawaii wasn't bad, but the best bubbles I left behind were in Bali Indonesia, Phuket Thailand, Bonaire and the Caymans. 2 more years on the time share and we are done with it so the Keys are a good possibility...:D

14. Jun 10, 2013 at 3:09 AM
    johneman

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    :spy: :playball::playball::playball::playball:

15. Jun 10, 2013 at 4:10 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Kind of :eek: to do before pics. The current Holly's are about 18YO and are vastly overgrown.

16. Jun 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    Afternoon all: :rain:
    Sounds like 3/4 of my yard! :eek:

17. Jun 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    I think we both wish we were 40 again. Getting harder all the time to do the work.

18. Jun 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    :anonymous: me, too :eek:

19. Jun 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
  20. Jun 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    All good and well but I would still need to dig out the root system. After digging out and transplanting one small boxwood I think I will let the landscaping company remove the rest of the trees and shrubs.

And Stihl FTW. I have a small Stihl myself. Must be close to 25 years old at this point. Still works like a champ!

Products Discussed in

To Top