1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. May 27, 2015 at 4:44 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    :wave: Morning all.

Back at work. Had my fill of airports and airline travel for the year all in one month. But both trips were worth it; wouldn't have missed either event for anything. It dawns on me that as one very important person in my life retired from active duty AF at the beginning of the month, our nephew, whose wedding we just attended, is just starting out on his career (graduated Basic Training last September). Seeing the difference in him and watching he and his bride as they begin a very similar path that my wife and I embarked on almost 31 yrs ago is very cool, and a little reminiscent. :)

Sounds like things are coming together Dave. Yeah, they'd have to make the on-call trade extremely sweet. If it has to be part of the deal, I think I'd negotiate a definite term for the on-call requirement; I wouldn't let them make it open ended. You need a light at the end of that tunnel that forces them to prepare someone to fill your slot in the on-call rotation. Those are my thoughts FWIW. I know my favorite part of my career after active duty retirement is no more electronic leash. Good luck brother. :cool:

2. May 27, 2015 at 7:52 AM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    Thunderstorms in the forecast today. And tomorrow, and Friday, and through the weekend. Naturally this occurs now, we want to plant grass seed. Last time we did that it all got washed into the driveway by thunderstorms! :goingcrazy:

Funny you should mention that. Local hardware stores are an option I've considered as well. There are some qualified folks in the stores around here, others not so much. Our local Ace Hardware stores are *great* at having qualified folks.

I hear that! I've grown to dislike the air travel experience so much that I would rather drive if at all possible.
    Thanks! Part of the thing they're putting together is bringing on a 'protege' to follow me around, take on work that I do now, and generally learn the ropes. It's a good suggestion to have him also step into the on call role as soon as possible, and get me out of it as soon as possible.

It feels funny being in this kind of position to be honest. Throughout my career I've always felt as though I was the one learning from others.

3. May 30, 2015 at 3:12 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Morning all. Trying to catch up on spring stuff. Still haven't done a clean on the vehicles.
    Just not enough time. Only days off results in bad weather. Hope everyone is doing well.
    Work is finally picking up. Rather have to much work than not enough.
    Errands before work so out the door.

4. May 30, 2015 at 6:46 AM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    Morning all:
    :rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::laugh:!
    Front page of the NY Post:
    "SHIP OF FOOLS"
    Apparently a bunch of tourists paid someone $200 ea. to go for a ride on the Staten Island Ferry-------it's FREE!

5. May 30, 2015 at 7:36 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    :wave: Morning Cool Old Dudes and Mentors
    :laugh: :facepalm:

6. May 30, 2015 at 10:44 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Hope the Police catch the SOB and make him pay with pain. Ripping off someone is not all that funny no matter what the scam is. But you have to wonder about some folks.

7. May 30, 2015 at 4:07 PM
    boatswain

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    Evening All:
    The police HAD him, and because they couldn't find the people that paid him (actually only 2) he was released without bail on the slimmest of misdemeanor charges related to what went on with the police.
    The article stated he has 6 felony convictions, 5 aliases, 6 SS numbers, 7 dates of birth, and has spent 9 yrs. in prison for burglary and credit card fraud.
    I actually don't find what he did to be funny, but do find it funny that people are that "naive" (putting it nicely). The article also mentioned something about: that's why the $30 hot dog exists!
    Maybe shouldn't make light of something like that, but "a fool and their money are soon parted" just comes to mind.

Here's one to think about---income tax short form. Most preparers around here would charge $45-60, I know a young lady that paid H&R Block over $200 ???????? Scam? I didn't pay even close to that to get some complicated taxes done over the years! I keep telling her to get away from that outfit, but she says they get her a lot of money back and won't go elsewhere. DUH!
    YES; you have to wonder about some folks! :rolleyes:

8. May 31, 2015 at 7:12 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Morning everyone - I hope you are all staying safe and dry. We're having some rain showers here in northeast, PA but we need it. And, it keeps me from having to water all of the grass seed it took to cover the spot where we filled in the old swimming pool. Now to have the new pool put in - hopefully they will start this week.

We have a new addition coming to join the family. Mighty Mortgage Manor's Morning Sunshine - aka Sunny - will come home on June 20th. We are looking forward to getting her home!

[​IMG]

4.0 TEQ likes this.
  9. May 31, 2015 at 8:49 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    :wave: Morning all.
    Hiya Sunny! :woot: :)

Just in from work, nap time then have some prep work in the backyard to hopefully see if I can get some grass growing in the bare spots. :yawn:

Hope all have a nice Sunday.

10. May 31, 2015 at 11:32 AM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    New York is full of fast talkers. I always feel like a rube when I go there.

Nice looking pup Mark! Good luck with the new family member.

I did chores all day yesterday, wore myself out. Then we went to a wedding we weren't *exactly* invited to attend. :) Friends of ours have a pretty big plot of land and someone they know asked if they could hold their daughter's wedding there. Our friends said "sure!" and so we got to slide in the side door so to speak. We helped them drain the last of the keg, enjoyed the GREAT fireworks show and HUGE bonfire, and generally had a good time among 300 or so perfect strangers.

11. May 31, 2015 at 12:24 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    :yes: Sounds like a great time! :cool:

12. May 31, 2015 at 6:15 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :wave: hi Sunny... Cute pup Mark. Congrats on the new addition.

Sound like a blast...

:yay: got to feel the baby kick!!!! :woot:

Hope you get the vehicles cleaned up soon Mike.

Congrats on the retirement planning coming together Dave!!!

13. May 31, 2015 at 6:20 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Your pregnant????
    Thanks for the heads up. ✌

14. May 31, 2015 at 6:23 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Hehehe..
    Got the interiors done between down pours Sue.
    They needed it bad....
    Missed another chance to fish.. I need a vacation.....

15. May 31, 2015 at 6:25 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Pregnant? Me? NOPE!!! BTDT. It's my grand baby!!!!

16. May 31, 2015 at 6:38 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    I know.. Jk. Exciting for sure.
    You'll think about that all week..

17. May 31, 2015 at 7:07 PM
    boatswain

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    Evening all:
    Congrats on the new addition to the family Mark.
    Congrats on the future grand baby Sue. :thumbsup:
    Sounds like it's time for a sick day Mike! ;)

18. Jun 1, 2015 at 10:22 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Finished refurbishing my Dad's stool today for use in the kitchen. Took 8 days but I like to wait a day between coats of stain and protection for drying time. This is the first time I have used a water based stain product and I was happy with the results.

The stool before starting the project. There were 4 coats of paint on the stool.

20150325_122149_zpsl0y8b7md_b1b7481bfdd6ac6d62e9d975805b745ba2e78ebd.jpg

And the finished product.
    20150531_160024_zpslzgwv2aj_9dc51780ad1f8ad2579e6d4164476da8b1e309ac.jpg

20150531_160012_zpspaphzdqq_1c5f25f51cad675a1ba7fc028cc4627862717b13.jpg

boatswain, 4.0 TEQ and MQQSE like this.
  19. Jun 1, 2015 at 1:53 PM
    boatswain

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    Afternoon all:
    NICE! :thumbsup:

OK: Question!
    I have windows 7 ultimate and have a notice on the computer, from Microsoft, about being able to upgrade to windows 10 full version for free.
    Any opinions; I like what I have and am not exactly an expert on this contraption. :rolleyes:
    I knew this was going to be available at some time and now it came about, it looks like there is a limited time to reserve this offer.
    Only thing I am concerned about is that down the road support and upgrades may no longer be available for the older windows, or I'd leave well enough alone.
    I have no clue as to what to expect if I choose to install the new 10 version, it seems that the 8 versions weren't too good!
    Anyone else get the same offer? :help:

20. Jun 1, 2015 at 2:17 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    I don't know Carl. A buddy of mine thinks Win 10 is really decent. The voice in my head is saying what do you expect for free.

Products Discussed in

To Top