1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jun 12, 2015 at 2:37 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Rob: Same cost for either filter so why not go with the one that has more filter element. Seemed like a no brainer to me. I find the best price for K&N at Advance Auto when they are on sale. The stock filter is the same quality, might even be better, less cost but without the nut. Pain in the butt to use a filter wrench on the filter with the 2.7 engine.

2. Jun 12, 2015 at 5:10 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    The acid etc in the oil is what gives you the issues. I did a oil change on a rare bmw today. He drove 100 miles last year. I told him it would do no good. He wanted it anyway. Like most things common sense needs to apply. Would you change the oil in a car in storage for 10 years once a year ? Lol.
    As long as it looks good and smells good. Leave it.
    I saved the oil. Going to put it in the jeep in Sept.

4.0 TEQ likes this.
  3. Jun 12, 2015 at 5:16 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Oh yea. After 5 hours of work i finally have the laptop doing a defrag. Got rid of over 2 gigs of crap.
    Also, the laptop was in a mid energy mode. So I have hit the hyper drive and we will see how it runs after a overnight defrag. Ye haaa.

95SLE likes this.
  4. Jun 12, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    Thanks Tom! The idea of a nut on the bottom sounds great to me also, will check into that.

5. Jun 12, 2015 at 6:49 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Stepped it up a bit today. Cleaned the interior and did an exterior wash on the Tacoma. Also cleaned the interior on the Bonneville. I think we set a record for heat on this day in the DC area. The official high was 99°. I stopped working outside around 12:30. Drank a lot of water and took a few breaks. Still feeling well at 9:30 tonight. Did two loads of laundry as well.

6. Jun 13, 2015 at 4:32 AM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Morning all, when I was still in the working world, I attended a class on filters and oils. The instructor laid it on the line that if you want a clean and long lasting unit don't skimp on the filter or oil. He then went on to say that one of the worst filters on the market is Fram. They don't have the Micron rating of better filters but they stay competitive because of the name:eek:. I guess if you change your oil regularly a Fram would be alright. I agree with you on Quaker State Tom, used it for a few changes back in 70's and started having lifter issues. Drained it out, did a Trans oil, Mobil oil mix for 1000 or so miles drained it out and used Valvoline, and had no more issues. Worked for the dealer yesterday driving so I was in the A/C all day. Made 2 trips to Philly to drop and pick up cars then one dealer trade to Bartonville PA. Nice drive.
    I reserved my windows 10 download and will see what it's like when I download it. Can't be any worse then windows 8 or 8.1:rolleyes:. Oops I forgot we're talking Microsoft here...How did you make out with the Defrag Mike? It's amazing how much you can accumulate over time and it can really bog the computer down. I tried a PC clean up program and had to spend a day just uninstalling all the hidden files it put on the computer. It made the system unstable and it was causing some compatibility issues between some programs. Defragging is the only way I go anymore.

7. Jun 13, 2015 at 5:22 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Morning all.
    Jeep gets the recon today Tom.

Defrag is done Ken
    Windows 7 updates every day and configs on statup and shutdown.
    I put a stop to that. I'll update when I feel like it.
    Much faster. Now useable.

My boy started his supercharged Monte Carlo years ago he just put together. He had oil pressure
    Fluctuation. Like 10 pounds at 2000 rpm. Now I didn't put it together but I new the specs and I know he did it right. I went over and we did one thing. We replaced the Fram oil filter. Steady oil pressure.

I still can't figure out why people think everything has to be changed or improved on. 95% of the changes SUCK!!!!!!

I feel like ranting today so I'm going to go and rub some metal.

8. Jun 13, 2015 at 6:22 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    :D

9. Jun 13, 2015 at 6:23 AM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    Fram filters have a terrible rep in the Subaru community too.

I'm a longtime windoze guy, so long in fact that I even remember DOS commands. :anonymous: I recently got a Macbook Air for home use and I am slowly falling for it. Sooooo light, great screen, battery lasts forever, and I'm even able to intuit how to do some stuff with it. My only real gripe is how intrusive Apple is about getting it set up. I felt like they asked everything short of how many times I crap per day.

10. Jun 13, 2015 at 7:21 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Ok I'll bite.. How many ???

11. Jun 13, 2015 at 7:22 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Not that bad... Yet .......

12. Jun 13, 2015 at 7:43 AM
    4.0 TEQ

4.0 TEQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    GTFO

13. Jun 13, 2015 at 8:09 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I never could get into Macs. I used to like using DOS over Windows 3.1

Whoa.. I didn't think you guys used that sort of language...

14. Jun 13, 2015 at 8:56 AM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    :crapstorm:

Win3.1 is the OS that finally pushed me over to the graphical interface. Excel and Word are what really did it, they beat the pants off Lotus 1-2-3 and WordPerfect. I used to reboot the computer twice a day to keep the bugs under control.
    :censored::lalala::angrygirl::devil:

15. Jun 13, 2015 at 9:19 AM
    geedub55

geedub55 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gary
    in the woods near Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport 4wd
    OK, 71 here. Who needs an old guy truck anyway?

MQQSE likes this.
  16. Jun 13, 2015 at 9:20 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    We use a lot of different languages. We also use assorted items as the case may be.

MQQSE likes this.
  17. Jun 13, 2015 at 9:26 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Old ones are pretty good too.
    Welcome.
    Your turn to fill the coolers if your going to hang around.

18. Jun 13, 2015 at 9:54 AM
    4.0 TEQ

Member:
    GTFO [​IMG]

19. Jun 13, 2015 at 10:48 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :wave: afternoon Ken

I used Fram in my '90 Nissan Pickup and never had any issues :anonymous: LONG before I knew any better :oops:

:woot: for computer doing better!!!

:popcorn: rant away :D

:smack:

:wave:

:laughing:

:wave: welcome from a wannabe

:eek: :rofl:

Oh, wise ones.... is one brand of spark plug wires any better than another? Is there a brand to stay away from? Need to change the plugs in the Camry and didn't think about the wires until watching a youtube video :anonymous:

20. Jun 13, 2015 at 10:56 AM
    4.0 TEQ

Member:
    Hi

Sue . I learned long ago SPW stick with OEM. Might cost more but they last & in the long run are best for your ride .

Products Discussed in

To Top