1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jun 12, 2015 at 6:01 AM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    Morning all:
    Now there's something to think about Ken! :laughing:
    No other comments though! :rolleyes:

As for oil, regular oil I always changed at 3k and it seemed like I was changing oil constantly. I switched over to synthetic on the 95 Tacoma with 180k+ and had no problem's and have been running it in the 09 since I got it. I don't use it in the 99 Chevy truck because I don't put that many miles on it.
    Here's one for Mike: They also say every 6 months----should I have changed oil 2 times in the year I put 68 miles on the Chevy truck? :eek:

2. Jun 12, 2015 at 6:26 AM
    4.0 TEQ

4.0 TEQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sue I think you misread his post.. I would go back to non Syn. as you are changing it out at 3k anyway
    I run amsoil for 10k but change the (oem only) filter at 5 k.

3. Jun 12, 2015 at 8:14 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE GOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chief Pal Guy (aka Rob III)
    Up there ... a bit to the left
    :wave: Morning all.
    Hiya Ken :cool:

I was thinking hard about trading my 07 for a 15, but I got over it in about a week. Fortunately the dealer here didn't have anything that really caught my eye. Nothing wrong with the truck I've got; I should get several more years from it. :)

4. Jun 12, 2015 at 9:24 AM
    boatswain

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    Afternoon all:
    Was just reading an article about "The 10 things you will love about windows 10".
    I didn't see anything I liked! Only :facepalm: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:.
    Maybe they need to come up with a basic program for those of us that are easily confused. :notsure:

5. Jun 12, 2015 at 9:46 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE GOB

Member:
    First Name:
    This is exactly why we replaced our desktop PC with a MAC. They just seem simpler and work well for the basic stuff we actually do now. Unlike my active duty days, I no longer bring work home ... so I really have no need to stay Windows compatible. :)

6. Jun 12, 2015 at 10:51 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Sue:
    I run a full syn oil and change it every 5 to 6K miles. I also run a larger filter than stock for the 2.7L engine. No issues so far with 85K on the 09 Tacoma. You can go back to Dino oil with no problems just use a decent oil.

7. Jun 12, 2015 at 1:06 PM
    boatswain

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    Tom; what filter do you run? Quite a while ago I also ran a bigger filter on a Dodge truck that I owned.

8. Jun 12, 2015 at 1:06 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE GOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Sue, I usually avoid these oil discussions like the plague, but I've been running synthetic since I bought my truck with 23K mikes on the clock and I change it every 5K. I'll go over 120K soon, no problems so far. :notsure:

Tom, curious about the larger than stock oil filter...what's the scoop there? Not that I'll change any time soon; I've got a case of oil filters on the shelf in my garage.

9. Jun 12, 2015 at 1:07 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE GOB

Member:
    First Name:
    :popcorn:

10. Jun 12, 2015 at 1:44 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    I have the 2.7L 4 cylinder and run the K&N HP-2009 filter. The bolt on the K&N is worth the extra $1 to me. Makes the change very easy.

I try to change the oil every 5K miles but it is nice to know that if it has to wait there is no problem. I also like that the 2.7 takes 6 quarts of oil not 5. The stock recommended filter is the HP-1002. The HP-2009 has the same specifications except it is longer. No issues at all.

11. Jun 12, 2015 at 1:53 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Oil is a very personal choice for a lot of reasons. I will not use Quaker State due to a blown engine back in the 60's. For a Dino oil I like Valvoline. The oil has never let me down. I feel the same way about Red Line oil. Red Line is a high quality full syn oil. Everyone should have their favorite oil and use it. If you change your oil, Dino or Syn, every 3 to 5K you should never have any problems or any buildup of any kind in the internal parts of an engine.

12. Jun 12, 2015 at 2:08 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE GOB

Member:
    First Name:
    I've run Valvoline since I was 16 yrs old because that's what a family friend who was a stock car driver locally told me to run. When I couldn't get it overseas, I ran Castrol, because that's what the rally car drivers were running. I never used synthetic oil until we moved to this climate; still run Valvoline in synthetic. I agee, important part is changing it and the filter regularly and consistently. I used 3K interval when I used dino oil; use 5K with the synthetic.

EDIT: Almost forgot, thank you for the filter info. :cool:

13. Jun 12, 2015 at 2:37 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Rob: Same cost for either filter so why not go with the one that has more filter element. Seemed like a no brainer to me. I find the best price for K&N at Advance Auto when they are on sale. The stock filter is the same quality, might even be better, less cost but without the nut. Pain in the butt to use a filter wrench on the filter with the 2.7 engine.

14. Jun 12, 2015 at 5:10 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 44 Year Toyota Master/ASE Master Tech.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Custom Ultragauge Mount, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod
    The acid etc in the oil is what gives you the issues. I did a oil change on a rare bmw today. He drove 100 miles last year. I told him it would do no good. He wanted it anyway. Like most things common sense needs to apply. Would you change the oil in a car in storage for 10 years once a year ? Lol.
    As long as it looks good and smells good. Leave it.
    I saved the oil. Going to put it in the jeep in Sept.

4.0 TEQ likes this.
  15. Jun 12, 2015 at 5:16 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Custom Ultragauge Mount, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod
    Oh yea. After 5 hours of work i finally have the laptop doing a defrag. Got rid of over 2 gigs of crap.
    Also, the laptop was in a mid energy mode. So I have hit the hyper drive and we will see how it runs after a overnight defrag. Ye haaa.

95SLE likes this.
  16. Jun 12, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    boatswain

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Tom! The idea of a nut on the bottom sounds great to me also, will check into that.

17. Jun 12, 2015 at 6:49 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Stepped it up a bit today. Cleaned the interior and did an exterior wash on the Tacoma. Also cleaned the interior on the Bonneville. I think we set a record for heat on this day in the DC area. The official high was 99°. I stopped working outside around 12:30. Drank a lot of water and took a few breaks. Still feeling well at 9:30 tonight. Did two loads of laundry as well.

18. Jun 13, 2015 at 4:32 AM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4X4 2.7L 5 speed SR5
    Weston tube steps, EXtang Black Max tonneau cover, Wet Okole's, Front WeatherTek mats
    Morning all, when I was still in the working world, I attended a class on filters and oils. The instructor laid it on the line that if you want a clean and long lasting unit don't skimp on the filter or oil. He then went on to say that one of the worst filters on the market is Fram. They don't have the Micron rating of better filters but they stay competitive because of the name:eek:. I guess if you change your oil regularly a Fram would be alright. I agree with you on Quaker State Tom, used it for a few changes back in 70's and started having lifter issues. Drained it out, did a Trans oil, Mobil oil mix for 1000 or so miles drained it out and used Valvoline, and had no more issues. Worked for the dealer yesterday driving so I was in the A/C all day. Made 2 trips to Philly to drop and pick up cars then one dealer trade to Bartonville PA. Nice drive.
    I reserved my windows 10 download and will see what it's like when I download it. Can't be any worse then windows 8 or 8.1:rolleyes:. Oops I forgot we're talking Microsoft here...How did you make out with the Defrag Mike? It's amazing how much you can accumulate over time and it can really bog the computer down. I tried a PC clean up program and had to spend a day just uninstalling all the hidden files it put on the computer. It made the system unstable and it was causing some compatibility issues between some programs. Defragging is the only way I go anymore.

19. Jun 13, 2015 at 5:22 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6
    Morning all.
    Jeep gets the recon today Tom.

Defrag is done Ken
    Windows 7 updates every day and configs on statup and shutdown.
    I put a stop to that. I'll update when I feel like it.
    Much faster. Now useable.

My boy started his supercharged Monte Carlo years ago he just put together. He had oil pressure
    Fluctuation. Like 10 pounds at 2000 rpm. Now I didn't put it together but I new the specs and I know he did it right. I went over and we did one thing. We replaced the Fram oil filter. Steady oil pressure.

I still can't figure out why people think everything has to be changed or improved on. 95% of the changes SUCK!!!!!!

I feel like ranting today so I'm going to go and rub some metal.

20. Jun 13, 2015 at 6:22 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 ./$0|./$0&

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R OR Premium
    :D

Products Discussed in

To Top