1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jan 22, 2016 at 4:11 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :woot: Pretty!!!!

No, not wrong thread.... you still fit there.... title is 50+ :D o_O this from a wannabe :cool:

:gossip: all access cabs are long bed!!! :p :p:p :p:p :D

:woot: for getting the cast off. Sounds like she's making progress. :anonymous: what'd she have done? My sometimers kicking in

:wave: evening boys

How many of you guys have updated your computers to windows 10?

2. Jan 22, 2016 at 4:15 PM
    docsg

docsg Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD OR SBDC
    Raptor 4" oval rails, OEM door sill protectors, totally debadged, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, OEM S/S tail pipe extension, BDT tailgate letters, Weather Tech sun screen.
    I'm a relatively new member of TacomaWorld as I recently got a 16' SR5 DC V6 Tacoma. I'm not new to the Toyota world as I had an 01' SR5 Tundra, an 05' SR5 Tundra, and a 12' Tundra TRD. All great trucks but more vehicle than I needed (especially the 12'). However, my Tacoma is about the size of my first two Tundras. I have really enjoyed reading many of the posts on the "60 year old" thread. I'm actually outside that range slightly so that makes me "a real old fart" driving a vehicle that the average owner's age is probably in the high 20's to mid 30's. Yes, I, like many in who have posted on this thread, would like to turn back the clock but I damn sure don't miss a lot of things that go a long with being much younger. I still ride my Harley (Dyna LowRider), my mountain bike (on occasion), still teach part-time at the university, and work in my shop when I can find the time. One advantage of being this age is that when you want something you just buy it..no dealing with bull-sh!t bankers or really bull-sh!t F&I people at dealerships. If any "youngsters" read posts on this thread I can only pass on a couple of words of advice: First, live every day like it will be your last. Second, financially start planning for your future years/retirement now. Then when you are 50 and that boss is on your back because that 30 something wants your position (because he can be bought for less $$) you can tell him to **** off. Like I tell my students, at this age there is only two people you should really fear: (1) Someone who is bigger and is about to beat the sh!t out of you and (2) someone that is about to die and owes you a lot of money. All the others I can deal with.. Cheers and have a great day:cheers:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  3. Jan 22, 2016 at 4:21 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :wave: welcome pull up a chair

4. Jan 22, 2016 at 4:43 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Welcome Duane. AC is Access Cab which I have one

Welcome And your advise for financial planning is spot on.

Ken, we have a Toro snow blower so dealing with the snow is pretty easy. I pulled it out and it started right up on Thursday. Nothing like doing a little PM when you store the machine in the off season.

Good evening Susan. I hope you did not get a lot of rain. Looks like you might get some snow tonight.

5. Jan 22, 2016 at 4:51 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    Had a good bit of rain today, but not supposed to snow here :pout: at least not as of 6 when I saw the weather last. Supposed to stop a few miles north of me.

How much snow do you have?

6. Jan 22, 2016 at 4:55 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    We have about 2 inches now, been snowing since 2:00 today. The heavy stuff is just moving into Washington now. Supposed to get 3 to 4 inches an hour and keep snowing until tomorrow. High winds with drifts 4 to 5 feet expected.

7. Jan 22, 2016 at 4:57 PM
    gliderpilot

gliderpilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tex (Mike)
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Susan, the wife and I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 several months ago. It's not bad .... certainly better that 8.1. Didn't like their new browser (forget the name, but starts with an E). Fortunately, with Windows 10 you still have the ability to revert to Internet Explorer. I'm more accustomed to that beast.

Welcome Duane. Enjoy .... this is a fun group.

Tex (Mike)

8. Jan 22, 2016 at 5:03 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    :yay: for snow; BOO for wind and drifts!!!

:thumbsup: my son said it isn't bad, but me no likey change :anonymous: I like using stuff I know how to use. smelled too many paint fumes at work

9. Jan 22, 2016 at 6:52 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    Computer keeps bugging me to switch to windows 10. Looks like I'll get the windows 10 PRO, because I have windows 7 ULTIMATE. ??????????
    I like what I have--PERIOD!!! Everything is as I want it and don't need to be fighting for a year to get it back to the way it is now. Probably has more to do with being somewhat of an idiot on this contraption. o_O :D

Welcome docsg, find a place on the porch.
    The start planning for the future/retirement now is good advice, unfortunately it usually doesn't sink in until most are close to retirement!
    Here's something you should throw at your students, long term cost associated with things taken for granted.
    EX: cigaretts @ $50 a carton per wk. X 52 wks.= $2,600 yr. X 40 yrs. =$104,000. Two smoking=$208,000.
    Coffee @ $1.50 a cup x 2 cups a day=$3.00 X 365 days = $1,095 yr. X 40 yrs. = $43,800.
    Lottery tickets @ $20 a wk. x 52 wks. = $1,040 x 40 yrs. = $41,600.
    Beer
    Drugs
    interest
    dog/cat food
    cable
    cell phone
    etc,etc.
    Oh well, you get the idea! ;)
    On second thought, maybe better not throw that at them, they will get depressed at all the money they're going to spend! :rolleyes:

10. Jan 22, 2016 at 6:57 PM
    ajdillon

ajdillon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    Just found the 60+ thread. I turn 69 in April, soon be looking for the 70+ thread. Sold my F250 last summer and had withdrawal symptoms. Found a good deal at a Ritchie Brothers auction down in Houston on a 2015 DCLB SR5 PreRunner with only 5000 miles on it back in November. Joined the forum after that. I've found a lot of useful information in the forums, although I have to invite my son over whenever I attempt something that requires crawling under the truck.

Andrew

11. Jan 22, 2016 at 7:16 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    do they have win 10 pro? :notsure: Sometime in the near future there will be no more updates to 7 or 8 :rant: so pretty much gonna have to switch.

Tell some of the youngsters and it will stick

Andrew :wave: welcome from a 60's wannabe they let hang around. actually there are a few of us. :woot: for a "new" tacoma!!! That's what kids are for, right? o_O

12. Jan 22, 2016 at 8:15 PM
    hikerduane

hikerduane Stove & lantern collector, retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    Meadow Valley, Jefferson USA
    Vehicle:
    '16 Blazing Blue Pearl TRD Sport AC V6 manual, tow pkg
    RCI sliders fuel tank skid plate, Softopper, tailgate insert
    Thank you for the welcome. I was fortunate to get some profit sharing and 401k going on a job I had for 19 years and the present one for 11 years now, so able to retire a little early. I do see the stock market has come down some, so my funds are reduced by almost 10% now. I can still make it until I start my Social Security.
    Hoping my '93 4X2 makes it for a little bit further so I can trade for the on order Sport. I think the thermostat is acting up. May change it out this weekend.
    Duane

13. Jan 22, 2016 at 9:20 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.

14. Jan 23, 2016 at 3:53 AM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    :wave: Morning All, Plows just went down my street. so far it looks like about 6" to 8" and still snowing. A big welcome to the new folks joining the thread. Age doesn't matter, and topics range a large spectrum of topics. With the new folks coming on the porch it looks like we need to expand it.:rofl:.

Upgraded to Windows 10 shortly after it was released. I found it to be slightly better than 8 and 8.1. Give me my windows XP back:thumbsup:. It was the best operating system for me.

Tex, I believe the internet on 10 is called Microsoft Edge. So far I haven't had any problems with it. Another option 10 has is called Cortana which is a search function that can be activated by speech if you have a microphone connected to your computer. It's worse then a full time job trying to keep up with technology. I find myself calling the grand kids for information and advice on these gadgets:eek:.

Glad the wife is doing good and has the cast off Dave :woot:. Sounds like she's doing good with her spirits up and like you said, you'll probably have some tales to tell. Stay safe with this weather.

Hi Susan, Hope the white stuff didn't swing down your way. How are the girls doing?

I found the majority of the young kids believe they will be young forever and live for today and not worry about tomorrow:eek:. They buy the big mini-mansions, newest cars, latest tech stuff and if you ask them about their retirement funds for the future they look at you like a deer in the headlights:rolleyes:. Hope their kids get good jobs to help support them:facepalm:.

Hope everyone has a good Saturday. Stay Safe and warm to all. It's sit on the sofa and watch movies. Take care. day until the snow stops:woot::woot:

MQQSE likes this.
  15. Jan 23, 2016 at 4:04 AM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    :wave: S/W/S. 11" at least here, the wind is blowing so much it makes it hard to get a clean measure. And we have a full day and night to go before it stops snowing! I suspect I'll be using the heck out of the snowblower. At least the power is still on, although it did 'brown out' about 30 minutes ago. Even though we have a generator it would not be much fun to get it running and hooked up just now; it is really really windy out there.

Stay safe folks!

MQQSE likes this.
  16. Jan 23, 2016 at 4:11 AM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Morning Dave. Wind is starting to kick up here too. Drifting will be a real pain because it always ends up in front of the garage:(. Take care and stay warm. Tell the Missus to take care.

MQQSE likes this.
  17. Jan 23, 2016 at 4:17 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Morning folks :wave:

Hope ya'll stay warm and safe through the storm.

18. Jan 23, 2016 at 4:25 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Morning everyone!! Stay safe out there!!

As of now, we have yet to see any snow from the storm. We may get a few inches, at best.

MQQSE likes this.
  19. Jan 23, 2016 at 10:24 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Carl: I was running Win 7 Pro and upgraded to Win 10 Pro. A few bumps but it is pretty easy to figure out. My wife misses her Favorites Bar so I had to figure out how to turn that back on. Trick is to just take your time and use Google to solve the problems.

Welcome Andrew There is lots of information on this forum. Which helps you spend lots of money.

MQQSE likes this.
  20. Jan 23, 2016 at 11:12 AM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    just came in from clearing a path to get to the firewood. Every bit of 18" and still coming down hard.

MQQSE likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top