1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

60+ year old thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by johneman, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jan 11, 2017 at 7:28 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.

2. Jan 11, 2017 at 7:43 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    :sorry: That's sad. :(

My group had 4 caribou tags; we managed to fill all 4, but the last 3 required a 90 mile one day round trip into the back country with multiple river crossings, from which the return 45 mile leg was made in a moderate to heavy snowstorm in the dark. Not our best plan ever :oops: but it's a good story now. ;)

Our first time on that hunt/area. Next time we'll know where to go and plan smarter. :)

One of our group drew a late (Nov-Dec) season moose cow tag which he filled with his bow on the backside of Randy's property.

We also did well on our Copper River Salmon trip and both Whiskey Gulch Halibut trips this past Summer. Long story short, freezer well enough stocked to share with the kids and get us through to next year.

Since I retired from active duty, I mark my year by fishing and hunting trips, and visits to the grandkids. :D No complaints.

Holeshot and boatswain[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Jan 11, 2017 at 7:58 PM
    Holeshot

Holeshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    15 Doublecab TRD Off Road 4 X 4
    I would think that the same powder charge that is safe with a normal.224 cal bullet would be very much over pressure with a .227 projectile. A good place to start would to check the primers in some brass from the fired .227 rounds. He will likely find cratered and/or bulged or flattened primers indicating over pressure. There may also be brass markings on the face of the bolt.

As far as Mark and the .308 with 1 in 12 twist rifling, I believe that 1 in 10 is considered "normal" and would stabilize his projectiles at farther than 100 yards.

If Mark listed what grain bullet he is using I missed it. I think a 10 twist will stabilize most .308 bullets up to 190 grains.

4. Jan 11, 2017 at 8:02 PM
    Holeshot

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Carl, hunted with my son today in 75 degree humid windy weather. Lots of tracks but no deer. A few active scrapes.

Last Saturday and Sunday were 23 and 25 degrees respectively. Hard to believe.

Up at 4:30 A.M. to try again.

Out for now to get some rest. Will report tomorrow.

boatswain and MQQSE like this.
  5. Jan 12, 2017 at 5:32 AM
    boatswain

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    Morning all:
    Congrats MQQSE on the successful hunting and fishing trips, and congtats on the retirement! :thumbsup:

Good luck again Gary, raining here and that's bad for a FL!
    He said he was checking the primers and saw no signs of pressure. From some other things I read, as long as it was off the lands and not touching them, it would keep the pressure down somewhat. "IF" it didn't damage anything, I would think the culprit may be heavy copper fouling from those oversized bullets, all I can do is take my cleaning supplies up to him and clean the crap out if it to start, if that don't help ??????????
    Funny thing, those bullets would cloverleaf out of his AR, now that he has the correct .224 bullets he's at 3-5" groups! I know he mentioned more than once how accurate that gun was, he's had it for quite awhile.

Just got back from a cleaning session with him, ran everything through the bore but the kitchen sink!
    ISSO bore paste caused a lot of black patches, but only ended up with 2 patches showing up green after using multiple copper removing bore cleaners. At least the last patches came out clean so will see what happens when he hits the range again.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Holeshot and MQQSE like this.
  6. Jan 12, 2017 at 1:40 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Same here Rob. Life just has me busy. Changing over credit cards which is a tedious task. Getting rid of the Disney card and going to a chase freedom unlimited card. Moved all the Disney points to a Disney Redemption card. Bought Disney Gift Cards with the points and I am now in the process of selling the Disney Gift cards. The cost to sell is 25% of the card. When it is all said and done our savings account will be $3,225.00 larger. Goings towards car payments when we buy a new car.

boatswain likes this.
  7. Jan 12, 2017 at 2:27 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    Hi Tom :wave:

I think I recall seeing your post in the Garage mentioning a new car. Are you replacing the Pontiac? What are you shopping for?

On the Disney Card, was there an issue with it? My wife just changed over to Disney reward card; Mitch and Meghen are having their wedding at Disney World in May. We're taking the whole gaggle down there.

8. Jan 12, 2017 at 6:40 PM
    Holeshot

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Carl, are your 129 gr. 6.5 Rem. Magnum loads factory or reloads?

Agree about your friend backing off the lands to hold pressure down.

When I first started reloading, I loaded almost everything hot. Tough on brass and guns. Finally learned that less than max usually helps accuracy. Seating bullets just touching the lands helps some rifles, also started using brass fired and segregated by each rifle along with neck sizing instead of full length sizing.

For semi autos like my AR I FL size all brass.

Keep me posted about your friends accuracy issue. Curious about the resolution.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  9. Jan 12, 2017 at 8:12 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Keeping the Pontiac for our son. Trying to purchase a 2016 Avalon Limited. Lowest price is 38,381 out the door with taxes, tag, and title and still retain the 0% financing over 72 months.

No problems with the Disney card. We just do not use the rewards any more so we opted for a cash back card. The customer service on the Disney card was exceptional.

MQQSE[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jan 12, 2017 at 8:28 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    :cool: Lucky kid. :)

Those Avalon's are very nice. That price is about what we paid for the Highlander two years ago. Car prices are just crazy these days. Takes a bit to get over that, but I finally have. Thanks for the words on the Disney card. Take care Tom.

ImpulseRed008 likes this.
  11. Jan 13, 2017 at 3:57 AM
    boatswain

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    Morning all:
    The 129gr are all reloads, I think the heaviest factory ammo available was 120gr.
    For the semis I use a SB die, so far so good.
    As for my buddy, he just got lucky with the accuracy of those oversized bullets. Since I got the AR and am shooting it using different powders and different weight bullets, plus some factory ammo, I am finding out there can be a huge difference in group size. That may be his problem more than anything, just needs to find a different load that it likes.
    He was talking about 2 guns when I was up there before, yesterday he mentioned he does have 1 load for the AR that grouped around 1 1/2", hopefully the good scrubbing tightened that up a bit and he can go from there.
    The other gun is a model 7 .243 that also didn't group. Used the old dollar bill trick and figured out the barrel was against the stock between the front pressure point and the receiver. Told him to get that barrel channel cleaned up until the dollar bill would freely slide down through there and not to touch that front pressure point, then see what that does for a start. He did that, and it now shoots pretty darn good, amazing how that will throw the harmonics of a barrel off and cause it not to be very accurate. I have had to do that to a few guns myself, and everyone I did it to gained quite a bit of accuracy.

MQQSE likes this.
  12. Jan 13, 2017 at 4:58 AM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    They sure are. But there are bargains to be had in the used market. If you're okay with not having the latest and greatest doodad and gewgaw shining out at you from dash or barking at you from the speakers, it's possible to pick up some very nice vehicles for a fraction of their new price.

But then I'm pretty much of a cheapskate. Just ask my wife!

13. Jan 13, 2017 at 6:15 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    Yep, I've seen your BMW. :rolleyes:

wdb[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jan 13, 2017 at 6:00 PM
    wdb

wdb intolerance intolerant

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    the perimeter
    Vehicle:
    plain jane
    Hella 4000 eurobeams, Amp Bed Step, IamMrYo mirror riser, Wet Okoles, HomerTaco satoshi, retrofit intermittent wipers & backup camera
    No gewgaws on *that* dash, I assure you! Wife complains about it endlessly. Just ask her.

MQQSE[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jan 13, 2017 at 8:07 PM
    Holeshot

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Carl, only saw one deer today. A doe which sneaked in behind me and started stamping the ground. I peeked and tried to slowly raise my rifle into shooting position. You know the rest, she bolted and disappeared before I could get the cross hairs on her.

Back up early tomorrow and hoping for better luck. Being a Saturday, more hunters could mean deer moving more. Got to think positive.

Interesting report on your friends rifle and also appreciate the answer on your 129 gr. loads.

Be safe.

MQQSE likes this.
  16. Jan 14, 2017 at 2:18 AM
    boatswain

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    Morning all:
    I am thinking positive on this end Gary, I'm positive I'm not going to get a deer this year! :rolleyes::(

17. Jan 14, 2017 at 4:39 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    :hattip: Good Morning Cool Old Dudes

:fingerscrossed: Good Luck.

:( :bananadead:

18. Jan 14, 2017 at 7:40 PM
    Holeshot

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Carl, no deer seen today, but still thinking positive since season runs through Feb. 10th.

19. Jan 14, 2017 at 8:31 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :wave: evening boys

20. Jan 15, 2017 at 4:06 AM
    johneman

johneman [OP] Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Morning all :wave:. Got back last night from visiting friends in Virginia. 5 days of nice weather only to come home to the cold again. Hi Rob, congrats on retirement. I have been busier since I retired then when I was working, but no complaints from me. Taking the missus out for breakfast for her birthday today. Have a good day all.

ImpulseRed008 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top