1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6112 w/ Dakars - 3rd Gen

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by mateo_roberto, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Jul 12, 2017 at 11:31 AM
    mateo_roberto

mateo_roberto [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mateo
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tijuana Teal 4x4
    Stock
    I'm just about to pull the trigger on the kit I've linked below for the 6112/5160 billys paired with dakar full replacement leafs. I'm likely going to go with the light duty dakars first, and in about a year or so add the leaf in. I have a couple of questions now that I'm getting so close which I haven't been able to find concrete answers for, hoping some brosefs can chime in.

With the light dakar pack, I'm thinking I'll probably get 2"-2.5" of lift in the rear considering the 250ish pounds I have over the bed. I've been reading that we should use an axle shim for this application. Does anyone have experience with the correct degree shim to use for this application? As of now my thoughts are to go with the 2.5 degree, and then compare the driveline angles with some new trucks on the lot. As I understand, the 2017 TRDOR's are coming stock with an axle shim.

I'm going to be running 255/85/16s on the truck with scs f5/4.5" bs. I'm thinking since some guys are able to clear these on stock suspension, I'll likely only go with the 5th clip setting on the 6112s driver, 4th on passenger and see how it settles. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Lastly, I'm thinking I'd like to go with Wheelers superbumps, ecgs bushing, and then flip the u-bolts while I'm down there.

Am I missing anything? I know there are 1000+ suspension threads somewhat similar, but I'd rather get some input before dropping $2k.

http://www.headstrongoffroad.com/st..._Kit_with_OME_Dakar_Leaf_Pack_(HS16BK-3).html

2. Jul 12, 2017 at 11:44 AM
    upTOPOverland_Drew

upTOPOverland_Drew upTOP Overland Technical Design and Application

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB SUPER WHITE
    All the things...click the link in sig
    This is a very good kit. do you have any plans for a winch or bumper in the future?

3. Jul 12, 2017 at 11:47 AM
    mateo_roberto

Member:
    First Name:
    Mateo
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tijuana Teal 4x4
    Stock
    Possibly, but definitely not within the next year, but if I do it will be an aluminum CBI bumper. I worry a bit about steel front bumpers not being able to trigger the airbags.

4. Jul 14, 2017 at 9:07 AM
    Boris20

Boris20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR Quicksand
    Im in the same boat. I was initially looking at a 5100 front back with OME coils but after reading smittys review on the 6112 I am once again adjusting my budget to get a better product. From what I have read, its a great kit you have picked out.

One thing I have not done any reading on is the U-bolt flip and have no idea of what it accomplishes or does in reality.

The ECGS bushing replace I have also decided to add to my install, though alot of people lift successfully without having issues there. So its a gamble, and depends on if you want to roll the dice and do possibly have to do it later.

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  5. Jul 14, 2017 at 11:10 AM
    mateo_roberto

Member:
    First Name:
    Mateo
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tijuana Teal 4x4
    Stock
    Yea, I'd rather not have to do my suspension twice. A lot of guys that go with 5100s or OME seem to swap them out after about a year. Buy once, cry once.

The u-bolt flip kit just allows for a little extra ground clearance under your axles, and removes the potential for damaging threads. They also make superbumps just for the all-pro flip kit.

Boris20[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jul 14, 2017 at 12:10 PM
    Boris20

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    The only thing hold me back from the 6112s is, i want about 2" lift up front, and I am hesitant to put them on the tallest notches as I have yet to find out if that will affect the travel range and make the ride less smooth having them topped out. I would like to keep them around 4/3 but that wont get me the lift I want. I am not sure what can go with the 6112s to give extra lift so I dont have to put them up on the higher notches.

what lift gain are you hoping to get with 5/4 notch settings? I think i saw it gives 1.5" on 5/4 according to their install instructions. Hopefully that will give you enough lift for the tires you are wanting. It should being 255's with the 4.5bs rims.

7. Jul 14, 2017 at 5:04 PM
    mateo_roberto

Member:
    First Name:
    Mateo
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tijuana Teal 4x4
    Stock
    My mentality is as much lift as possible, so ideally 2.0inches, but I didn't want to max out the coil for the same reasons. As long as I clear the 255s with minimal plastic trimming I'll be stoked. I expect 1.5 just based on the table from bilstein.

8. Jul 14, 2017 at 5:08 PM
    1BDTACO

1BDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR
    OME Medium Lift, Fx Pro wheels, Falken at3 285/70/17
    uca should be on your list. :thumbsup:

9. Jul 14, 2017 at 5:17 PM
    Boris20

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    lol and this is how I went from Headstrong 1/2 spacers to 6112 billies. "if you just throw on this part too...." "do it right the first time" hahahah. before I know it ill end up installing a $3,000 kit and not being able to pay my mortgage.

10. Jul 14, 2017 at 5:20 PM
    1BDTACO

1BDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR
    OME Medium Lift, Fx Pro wheels, Falken at3 285/70/17
    I completely understand what your getting at haha. Im just recommending it. It is highly recommended by like everyone though.... :rofl:

Boris20[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jul 14, 2017 at 5:22 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Where is Smittys review?
    I would like to read. Do you have a thread name or a link plz?

12. Jul 14, 2017 at 5:32 PM
    Boris20

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    mateo_roberto[OP] likes this.
  13. Jul 14, 2017 at 7:31 PM
    mateo_roberto

Member:
    First Name:
    Mateo
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tijuana Teal 4x4
    Stock
    maybe if I ever decide to fork out the $$ for kings :benchpress:

I think with 1.5" in the front and 255s i should clear the uca and squeeze enough caster to be fine without going aftermarket.

Tacomamike mike likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top