1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6500k cash back on tacomas?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mikeee, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Aug 4, 2009 at 6:33 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Well I just checked the local sales for my zip and there is no promotion for the Tacoma this month. Sucks since the buyer for my car will have their loan this Friday......looks like I would have missed it by 4 days. Darn it!!

You'd think they would continue the promotion to get 09 models off the lot for new 10's......

2. Aug 4, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    rachunter

rachunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    XM Radio,Access Lorado Tonneau, Ventshades, Tinted Windows, Destination A/T's , Moto Metal wheels and lots of Liquid Glass
    After many years as a car salesman I can promise you the NO ONE knows what next months incentives will be until the first day of each month. Not even the dealership owners have a clue what the incentives will be until they are in effect.
    On the first day of the month at 12:01 a.m. a fax and or email goes to the dealership with the new incentives for the new month.

Think about it, if it was not that way how many times would this happnen.

..... if I sold a car on the last day of the month and there was a $1,000 rebate on it but I had info that the next day there would be a $2,000 dollar rebate on it I would just sell the vehicle on the last day of the month and not run it through until the next day that way the dealership could put the extra $1,000 in their pocket.

also many deals are lost because the customer does not believe the salesman when he tells them the rebate could go away on the last day of the month then the customer comes back after the first of the month and finds out the the rebate no longer exist and then gets mad because the dealer cannot do the same deal because the rebate has been canceled.

3. Aug 4, 2009 at 7:51 AM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    i would have to say BS. 6500k cash back...? i would trade in my prerunner on a brand new pyrite mica 4x4 dc ! hahah

4. Aug 4, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    sixdoubleseven

sixdoubleseven Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    14 DC 4x4
    No freaking way. That's way too much.

5. Aug 4, 2009 at 12:14 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    well, when the dub cabs had the 2k rebate about a month ago, i was given an emailed price of 5k off the MSRP. This included 3k by the dealer and the 2k rebate for 5k total...his dealership might have something like this going?

shoot, he told me 23.5k before tax, title, ect. for a 09 dub cab prerunner TRD offroad w/ towing package...pretty good if you ask me...add on my college grad rebate and i could have had the truck for 22k plus tax adn BS fees....to bad im smart enough to not get myself in debt that i really dont need, but want!!

6. Aug 4, 2009 at 12:25 PM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Regarding the cash for clunkers...dont the new cars have to have gas mileage average 22mpg or over to qualify? I didnt think the tacoma qualified...

7. Aug 4, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    i believe its different for trucks no?

8. Aug 4, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    when i was workin on my dads accord this weekend i heard the advertis. state that tacoma was included.
    75% sure i heard tacoma added...was deep into the 12 pack of hangar 24 by that time lmao

9. Aug 4, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    socal_av

socal_av Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Palmdale <CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TACOMA DC LB Sport Mag Gray
    alot soon. hopefully
    well just checked toyota.com and they have 1000 cash back till sept 8 now. so guess not 6500 haha

10. Aug 4, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    mikeee

mikeee [OP] Active Member

Member:
    haha yeaa 15k on the double cab..

11. Aug 4, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    thecreeper

thecreeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    hmmm, not so sure because I was about to spring on an OR and the sales guy told me to wait another month as there might be a better incentive. Labor Day weekend. so i will, no rush. But the dealers I've been going ot have a large inventory of TACOs so...

actually one dealer had a section where all the cash for clunkers stuff is and there was one FJ cruiser...that stood out...but the rest were old pick ups and SUVs. so do these things get destroyed now? The FJ looked new...kinda sad...

12. Aug 4, 2009 at 5:20 PM
    IrishPilot

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Back to $1500 rebate where Im at.

13. Aug 4, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    iunno I've rarely seen taco's around here and when they are there they move pretty darn fast. I expect them to be a serious pain to find when it starts nearing winter season. What kind of pickup can you find thats reliable, gets good mpg, and doesnt look like @ss :p

14. Aug 4, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    BS on the $6,500 on a Tacoma. On a Tundra maybe but not on a Tacoma.

Also, to clear up some confusion on the "Cash for Clunkers" program. For the trade in vehicle to qualify it has to be at least 10 years old and no older than 25 years old. It has to get 18 mpg or worse as rated by the EPA when new.
    The vehicle being traded in must be owned by the prospective purchaser for at least one year prior to trade in and also insured for one year prior.

The vehicle being traded in can only be counted towarda a new purchase or lease.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are other stipulations. I only know because this is what I went through when I purchased my truck. I will answer a few questions just to clarify some statements already brought up in this thread.

Can you get $4,500 government rebate to be applied towards a new Tacoma?

Most likely no. To qualify for the $4,500 the new vehicle must get better than 9 mpg than the vehicle being traded in. The Tacoma gets 18 mpg with a V6. There are very few that would qualify if any and then there are stipulations for vehicles that fall into certain categories. You might be able to work a $4,500 rebate with the right trade in on a 4 cyl Tacoma but it would be difficult. Most likely you would end up with a $3,500 rebate.

Can you negotiate the purchase price of the new vehicle if you are using "Cash for Clunkers?"

Absolutely. The government is reimbursing the dealer the funds for the "Clunker" being traded in. The amount determined is taken off the top of the negotiated purchase price. Plus, you should never pay MSRP unless you really want the vehicle or it is in high demand and you just have to have it(2010 Camaro for example.)

So I hoped I helped someone out. I read a good majority of the 136 pages of the final rule of the CARS program. Unfortunately I knew way more than the dealer did when I went in to deal. It was frustrating. They were willing to give me $4,500 for my F250 at first but I told them it only qualified for a $3,500 rebate. I knew if I let them take off $4,500 it would come back and bite me in the ass.

15. Aug 5, 2009 at 5:08 AM
    Nuke64

Nuke64 Member

Member:
    Charlotte
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner TRD Sport Longbed
    For trucks, the rules are different.

A 1 or 2 mpg improvement is all that is necessary to get some money.

http://www.cars.gov/faq#category-07

"The value of the credit given for the purchase or lease of a category 1 or 2 truck also generally depends on the difference between the combined fuel economy of the vehicle that is traded in and that of the new vehicle that is purchased or leased. If the new vehicle is a category 1 truck that has a combined fuel economy value that is at least 2, but less than 5, miles per gallon higher than the traded-in vehicle, the credit is $3,500. If the new category 1 truck has a combined fuel economy value that is at least 5 miles per gallon higher than the traded-in vehicle, the credit is $4,500.

If both the new vehicle and the traded-in vehicle are category 2 trucks and the combined fuel economy value of the new vehicle is at least 1, but less than 2, miles per gallon higher than the combined fuel economy value of the traded in vehicle, the credit is $3,500. If both the new vehicle and the traded-in vehicle are category 2 trucks and the combined fuel economy of the new vehicle is at least 2 miles per gallon higher than that of the traded-in vehicle, the credit is $4,500. A $3,500 credit applies to the purchase or lease of a category 2 truck if the trade-in vehicle is a category 3 (work) truck that was manufactured not later than model year 2001, but not earlier than 25 years before the date of the trade in."

16. Aug 5, 2009 at 5:26 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Don't quote the FAQ as fact. You have to read the final rule as it is what determines the eligibility. Alot of the FAQs were posted before the rule was released on 7/24/09. Straight from the rule(It actually sounds more possible to get $4.500 but still difficult)

If the transaction involves a trade-in vehicle that is a passenger automobile, a
    category 1 truck, or a category 2 truck and a new vehicle that is a category 1 truck each
    meeting the eligibility criteria, a gain of 2 to 4 miles per gallon results in a credit of
    $3,500; a gain of at least 5 miles per gallon results in a credit of $4,500

The Tacoma is classified as a Category 1 Truck.

17. Aug 5, 2009 at 6:47 AM
    copernicus

copernicus Well-Known Member

Member:
    The 4 cyl tacoma classifies. Got 6k off (4500 + 1500) yesterday, traded my explorer in. Shall be picking it up next week.

18. Aug 5, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    IrishPilot

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
  19. Aug 6, 2009 at 12:43 AM
    socal_av

socal_av Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Palmdale <CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TACOMA DC LB Sport Mag Gray
    alot soon. hopefully
    at your dealership..not everywhere else.. a few local ones have over 25 tacomas in stock

20. Aug 6, 2009 at 4:54 AM
    thecreeper

thecreeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    not around me, they have PLENTY of 09s still on the lots, hence why my salesman said if i can wait till Labor Day weekend and beyond he will be able to offer me a TRD OR (if its still there) at a price I will never see in my lifetime. so... i'll wait and see what that might be. but there are a lot of SR5s still on the lots (some are 2008!!!!) and a few ORs.

Products Discussed in

To Top