1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

6spd trans squeak

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by red06toy, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Aug 8, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    red06toy

red06toy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Worcester MA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse red OR, 2.5 lift
    2.5 toytec, bilstein 5100 black grille, black lights, partially shaved decals remaning ones black, , trd fj wheels, sirius, Ipod interface, pre-filter delete
    Yeah this has been covered before, but my truck wasnt doing it. well a week ago it started. The truck is an 06 with 57k on it. I make an apt at the dealer and bring it in. This is where things start to go bad...after 20 min of looking at it the talking head at the desk tells me the mechanic excuse me technician, told him that its a squeaky clutch pedal. I say no. I ask if he drove the truck? answer no. Ok have him drive it. Mind you this is after i told them it sounds like a bearing, and does it with the clutch engaged whether idling or moving. At this point Im warned that if its found that the part squeaking is clutch related "It will not be covered under warranty and i will have to pay a $100 diagnosis fee" Thats fine I say its not the clutch, it catches fine never slips.
    He takes it for a ride an hour later I get called in and here this (word for word the copy i recieved)
    "The technician checked the vehicle and heard the squeak noise from the bell housing. Noise goes away with slight pressure on clutch pedal. Also noticed noise while clutch fork is moving with engine off. Suspect noise is from dry clutch fork pivot sockets.
    The system has 2 sockets. One on either side of bearing. May be possible bearing noise as well. To replace the release bearing and lube socket and shifter fork will cost $965.89, disc and cover will cost $1328.09."

Yup not covered. At this point im really pi$$ed off, and all my arguing saying this isnt a clutch issue ita a transmission issue, do not work. And I have to pay $107.45. Now i ask them, "did the tech even put a wrench on it?" "No". So I paid to hear what i already knew. guess Im the dummy. Fine. But wait. Whats the $7.50 for "enviormental recovery"? "you said he never even cracked the tranny right?" him- "correct." Me "So what the F@(k am I paying to recover!?" him-"ugh well he wore gloves, its a state law." At this point i swear l was ready to choke this dork out. I told him "not that you care, but I will never come back to this dealership for anything and will tell others the same.
    Did i overreact? maybe. They could be right, but ive heard conflicting reports from here about this issue. The truck shifts and engeages fine. i used it today to pull stump and that clutch is perfect. So now im not sure. warranty means nothing so Im gonna wait and see i guess.

2. Aug 8, 2009 at 4:53 PM
    shook0002

shook0002 "The Fuzz"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    '08 Doublecab 4X4 SR5
    Probably a dry throwout bearing. But for the heck of it can you get to the pivot points with spray grease and a straw?

3. Aug 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    red06toy

red06toy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Worcester MA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse red OR, 2.5 lift
    2.5 toytec, bilstein 5100 black grille, black lights, partially shaved decals remaning ones black, , trd fj wheels, sirius, Ipod interface, pre-filter delete
    I could try that. Now way in hell im paying 1300 bucks tho

4. Aug 9, 2009 at 5:31 AM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    That sucks. My tranny makes a bearing noise and the dealer was not very helpful at all. I recall reading that some(or all) manual trans Tacos have an aluminum sleeve pressed into the bell housing that the throwout bearing rides on. There have been problems with this design. I did find a few links to throwout bearing noise that might give you some ammunition to argue with the dealer!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/17819-throwout-bearing-again.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/42991-throwout-bearing-chirp-squeak.html

5. Oct 6, 2009 at 10:34 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    yuck, this is kind of scaring me now, i have an 05 w/40K on it, and it makes a little noise now..

6. Mar 6, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    TacomaNC

TacomaNC Active Member

Member:
    NC
    borla exhaust tintind windows
  7. Mar 6, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    My 96 makes that noise to the dot, When the it is sitting idle it will squeek and then when im driving and the clutch is out it will squeek when im driving until I press the clutch in. Im guessing its some sort of bearing.

8. Mar 6, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    I feel your pain man. I've been trying to get mine taken care of for a long time now. I don't know why toyota is avoiding this problem, especially when their quilty is under such scrutiny right now.

9. Mar 6, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    pootermobile

pootermobile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL cab 4WD V6 6-speed Debadged
    De-Flapped, All-Weather Floor Mats, Blue LED dome light, De-badged, BMW shift knob, 8K HIDs in headlights and fogs, Fog light relay MOD, 3" Coil-spring spacers, 1.5" rear blocks, 17" ProComp 7033s, 285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Ebay 7" touch screen head unit, TEKstyle snap button tonneau cover
  10. Mar 6, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Holy old thread revival!!:eek:

Hey OP, if you're still around, what happened?

I had my TO bearing replaced back in September 2010, so far so good but I haven't driven it that much yet. The TSB has come out since then, just wondering if I am going to have to have mine done again. Big question is who is paying. No more powertrain warranty for me, but the work on mine was covered to begin with.

Products Discussed in

To Top