1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

7.5 vs 8.5 with 3rd Gen

Discussion in 'Towing' started by cspcrx, Apr 3, 2024.

1. Apr 3, 2024 at 8:02 PM
    cspcrx

cspcrx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Sport 4x4 Cement
    I have a 2021 TRD Sport 4x4 and currently use an all steel 14’ trailer to haul my car to the track. Picture below is of it when it was a bit overloaded with the car another engine, trans, and other parts for a motor swap.

[​IMG]Untitled by Victor M, on Flickr

I want to upgrade to an enclosed aluminum frame v nose trailer. I’ve looked at 7.5x16 and 8.5x16 online the weights are the same as my current steel trailer. I figure that I will need mirror extenders to see around either widths.

I’m really leaning towards the 8.5 as I can get a dove tail and extra room is always nice. Anyone pulling 8.5’ wide cargo trailers with their Taco that can share if extended mirrors are enough? Open to any other results you’d have to share as well.

2. Apr 4, 2024 at 9:31 AM
    NorrinRadd

NorrinRadd Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Sport, access cab, MT, Eibach 2.0 stage 2, tow, silver.
    My toy hauler is 8'2" wide and I bought cheapo ama-zon side extender mirrors and went on a two week tour of the SW states and nary a problem. The extenders worked great, didn't come off even during a near-tornado storm in northern Texas, the rubber straps kept it from shaking. I did ama-zon because of the price and figured if they came off or broke it was cheap to replace. The mirror extensions are about 6-7" further out than the edge of the factory mirrors. It was my first time ever towing anything so I was...concerned...but eventually was able to center the truck/trailer without even thinking about it and had a great time with my grandson!

EDIT: here's what I got, in hindsight I should have bought the 2-pack in case I lost one or both on the trip but luck favors the foolish I suppose...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029WRKA

3. Apr 4, 2024 at 2:52 PM
    cspcrx

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Sport 4x4 Cement
    Thank you for the response. That makes a lot of sense keeping an extra pair.

sounds like you had no rearward visibility issues.

4. Apr 6, 2024 at 6:41 AM
    rybern

rybern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    N Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR & 2000 SR5
    5100's & 3AAL, 265/70r17 Toyo AT3
    Consider how the trailer is shaped. Wind resistance is possibly as big of factor than weight. For instance if the front is wedge shaped then it will be less drag.

5. Apr 6, 2024 at 7:16 PM
    cspcrx

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Sport 4x4 Cement
    Agree. The ones I’m looking at, from ALCOM trailers, are v nose and even offer a slope on the nose roof. Every bit helps I am sure when pulling. I’ve worked in trucking for over 21 years and I know how much the flat nose of the trailer impacts fuel economy and that’s behind a tractor designed to pull it.

my concern is getting a 7.5 then later wishing I had the extra room of the 8.5. Was just worried about the 8.5 behind the Tacoma.

rybern likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top