1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

7x6 Mini H1 7.0 retrofit (EASY: no cutting/jbweld)

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by NightProwler, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Dec 2, 2019 at 12:23 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Yeah np man. I was just tossing ideas and whatnot around really. Seeing as you might have to rethink your build on the fly since my method doesn't really apply anymore. I know them 7x6's are a pain in the ass. My first set (hack and weld method) was a disaster. Lol.

1997tacomav6[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Dec 2, 2019 at 12:25 PM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    I have a set of those. The glass lens does not sit as high as the plastic lens from the Pilot housings and will require more hacking in the back in order to fit the 7.0's. I can take a pic when I get home.

3. Dec 2, 2019 at 12:30 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Yeah glass is better for sure. Plastics tend to degrade/yellow/haze over the years. (Still haven't asked my brother how his are holding up).
    Ahhhhhh bummer.. Moment's too late it looks like. "Bought". But are the metal housings any easier to work with for hacking?

4. Dec 2, 2019 at 12:54 PM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    Only thing I don't like about the glass is it makes the cutoff a little fatter and not as clean and it chips/breaks easier. I will say those Nokya have really nice glass and is almost as clear as the Plastic/Polycarbonate versions. Then again the plastic scuffs and swirls really fast.

1997tacomav6 likes this.
  5. Dec 2, 2019 at 1:16 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    3 years later and my brother says his are still holding up great. Lenses seem to be showing slight signs of degradation but minimal. Might just need cleaned good he said. He didn't look to close. Like I said the vehicle mostly sits(under the az sun too mind you).But we can always just buff and reseal them too if need be.

12TRDTacoma and 1997tacomav6 like this.
  6. Dec 2, 2019 at 1:31 PM
    burntkat

burntkat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    97 Extracab Tacoma
    When I did mine on the S10, I used plumbing caps Welded to the back of the housing. Just not a problem. Worked out extremely well, not sure I see what the issue is with that approach?

1997tacomav6 likes this.
  7. Dec 2, 2019 at 1:45 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    I was just trying to come up with a simpler solution because my first set I did was with those plumbing caps and it was a total mess and ended up in disaster. I probly didn't do the greatest job on it (was my first hack job) but I was determined to find an easier solution after that. Which I did with the pipe flanges but that option is kinda impossible now unless you can find identical housings as the pilots. If I do them again I'll probly cut and bolt the projectors into the back and seal them up with weld. I like the idea of being able to retain adjustability of the projector post retrofit, but it just adds to the work and additional (possible) failure points with caps.

What caps exactly did you use? Were they plastic or metal or??

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    1997tacomav6 likes this.
  8. Dec 2, 2019 at 4:47 PM
    burntkat

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    97 Extracab Tacoma
    PVC plumbing caps. As simple as that.

9. Dec 2, 2019 at 5:40 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Yep thats what i used. Tried to find a metal one that would work but wasn't having any luck. Even went for the highest rated pvc(forgot what it was). It melted around the projector shaft tho. Installed a metal plate to the back after that but i guess I didn't seal that good enough so it caused an entry point for water to get into and pretty much ruined the internals.. Idk what I was doing wrong but it just deterred me from wanting to try that method again. Heh.

1997tacomav6 likes this.
  10. Dec 3, 2019 at 6:47 AM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    The next set I do I'm going to cut the bowl in half and retain the bulb side for mounting and just extend the middle enough to clear the lens. Where I cut and graph new will be hidden behind the shroud and black paint.

1997tacomav6 likes this.
  11. Dec 3, 2019 at 7:16 AM
    burntkat

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    97 Extracab Tacoma
    Sounds like you were running too high a wattage of bulb.

I am using the cheapo $26 projectors off Amazon (wanted to keep the trial to a budget price). They have a pretty decent cutoff (bearing in mind I don't have a test lab, and am not going to spend $1000 on a "proper" set of factory projectors) as witnessed by my garage door. They don't overheat (as witnessed by my not having to replace them after hundreds of hours of use in the hot SE USA), and the fact I've run the lights as DRLs, trying to stress test the system.

Now, the cheap relays I bought on Ebay, that's another story. Even then, not bad- I bought them from the Installbay on Ebay, about 36 relays for various projects, for about $40. I've been using them for over a decade, and just now had a failure- the relays for the driver's side lights, both high and low at the same time. I rewire the lights on my vehicles in order to use the factory wiring to switch relays, and 5' or less of 10 gauge wire to supply current to run the bulbs. I do a seperate high and low relay, for each side. Crazy as it sounds, the high and low relays on the driver's side both failed at the same time (and yes- I do troubleshoot things, don't just replace them). I got out there with my meter last night, verified I had trigger voltage from the factory wiring, verified I had supply voltage to the load, and continuity to the bulb from the relay NO terminal. Tested the relay, feeling it click... on a whim (never having seen this happen before- but then I usually use Bosch relays), I replaced the relay anyway.. sure enough, lights sprang to life. The primary coil (terms 85 and 86) was fine in the old relays, but apparently there was enough corrosion or something in the load side of the relay that it didn't make/break contact.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Dec 3, 2019 at 9:39 AM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    That is actually a really good idea if I can't get them to fit that's exactly what I'll do I'll cut the buckets in half and then I'll get some rubber trim that fits on both sides an extended out another quarter of an inch if I need more, thanks for this idea this will make a really easy now and if that doesn't work I can use a spacer I push it out more if needed and then use epoxy tape all the way around that

Yep just take a chop saw or band saw and cut it perfectly straight two pieces

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  13. Dec 3, 2019 at 10:34 AM
    burntkat

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    97 Extracab Tacoma
    Sorry, had to parse it into something other than a run-on sentence. Figured I'd save others the trouble.

14. Dec 12, 2019 at 5:34 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    The process has begun,

I decided I want the glass lens and aluminium brackets,

I know the metal buckets will be harder to modify over plastic but I'm wanting metal and glass lens quality

1st step was to get a quart of acetone
    and filled the inside and the lower part of theens over night in the acetone and the glass literally falls right out of the bucket.
    Step one is done,
    Now to cut out.the fat in the round bulb section next.

Screenshot_20191212-182604_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191212-182556_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    se7enine likes this.
  15. Dec 13, 2019 at 6:22 AM
    burntkat

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    97 Extracab Tacoma
    Nice work. I was wondering how one would get the lenses off of those. I have never had much luck with them.

16. Dec 13, 2019 at 8:07 AM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Acetone doesn't hurt the paint and the glass lens seal completely lets loose, so simply.
    I had some acetone and decided to try it.

One lens literally fell out when I picked up the bucket and the other lens needed a small push from the inside of the bucket with a screw driver.

Bingo

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    burntkat[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Dec 15, 2019 at 4:24 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    So I got all my parts and tools needed.

Here is my setup with glass and metal buckets
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...on-morimoto-mini-h1-7-0.643068/#post-22251039

If you have an air tank compressor with a air grinder this will go a lot faster

Dremel

Dremel grinding wheel, NOT cutting wheel.

Four 2.5” THICK 1/16 steel washers that will need to be ground out in the centers

Two shower flange covers, these are very thick and need the back metal supports ground off.

Two rubber tub seals

Two glass with thick aluminum buckets, either Nokya/Rampage H6054 will work.

You will be able to install these completely without the projector hitting the glass lens, but it will be tight.

In order for this to happen the thick steel 2.5” washers with the rubber gasket are needed because the bucket back flange needs to be a bit deeper to hold the projector tight and get the added depth for the glass lens to not hit the projector.

The 1st 2.5 washer needs to be trimmed extra wide inside to allow the back of the projector to come through.

If you get thin washers you will have to stack them to get the added depth.

You probably could use layers of thick plexiglass and would be a lot easier.

The advantage to not cutting the bucket up is with the structural support of the metal bucket and metal
    washers the projector will line up true to the bucket inside and not be pointed in a different direction.

The round back INSIDE of the housing has to be all trimmed out round.

The inside of the lens where the projector hits will need to be ground down for that extra 1/16 “ for the glass lens to clear. The projector is not perfect rounds,
    So the EAST and WEST sides need to be ground in particular.

The bucket metal is very thick and needs a lot of grinding.

Go slow and try the different options as how much needs to be ground from the washers to the lens
    lip where the projector hits.

This will end up being a super high quality setup now.

If you get a bread pan glass and set the lights in upside down and put acetone inside the lens
    and in the pan, the lens will fall out from overnight or maybe a little push from the inside. Don’t let it fall and break tho.

D3C98E0A-1D02-45C2-BF4A-61BED1AE5B56.jpg
    095AAAF9-08D8-4234-BB36-5E049E23725E.jpg
    39217FE4-4D16-4C6A-9AE0-18D28673D93F.jpg
    686077AE-D4AA-4415-B97C-B9D0FF20B357.jpg
    FAB32AF6-6117-4ECA-A38F-B5637AB1747B.jpg
    FA468C55-FCDE-4BA6-9312-88DEBECBA2F9.jpg
    B94BC283-C98C-4813-861D-10B1B716B816.jpg
    5447A1A4-6E7C-4CED-B059-0945D9BE835D.jpg
    0A39F2B9-A37E-4399-A2EC-662B8E45BFC8.jpg
    997FCF05-B5C1-43CF-BD83-21CAA840CDE5.jpg
    6FFCFC93-BE33-47D4-99C4-EB3E4906E783.jpg
    B05694FE-5F3E-458A-9DDC-06DAE57CF4D6.jpg

47E890FF-82C8-41EF-9B53-7B035DAD2D14.jpg
    DE3BFDFD-257E-4E09-B0DE-B00C83734BB2.jpg

C6E64DBB-763B-4A38-89E4-B8069D898238.jpg

C14C5ED6-C7B1-4AD4-9597-E129D478ED13.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    NightProwler[OP] and devinzz1 like this.
  18. Dec 16, 2019 at 8:17 PM
    burntkat

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    97 Extracab Tacoma
    I must have missed it. What buckets and projectors are these?

19. Dec 16, 2019 at 8:23 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  20. Dec 21, 2019 at 8:23 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Well got them all wired in and installed them today.

So my problem is I went to align the lens and I’m seeing that they are not solid in the housing assembly.

They have a little play in them, if I grab the lens it will move if I twist them.

If I put a thicker layer of Butyl, will that help?
    Or maybe I need to wrap the outside seam between the glass and housing to maybe get them tight?

Did your have play between the lens in the housing assembly ?

With the play there you can’t align the beams,

And one of the high beam solenoids quite working almost immediately

So I have to get another replacement for that.

To Top