1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

8 mo old taco leaking water from from the overhead console

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by widget, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Aug 23, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    widget

widget [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    My wife & I went to the grocery store Saturday afternoon and while in there, it came a rain shower. I came out to discover a small solid stream of water was running from the front left corner of the overhead console (temp/lamp area)! I totally flipped out and almost had a come-apart! At first for a nanosecond, I thought I left something open (DUH!) but then realized this was impossible - it's a solid roof, no sunroof or anything, WTF?!?! I got this 2010 Pre the day before T-day and you'd think if there was a windshield leak or something it would have shown up before now.
    I live in Nashville, TN., home of unprecendented rain producing massive flooding this past May - it was like the second coming for Noah's ark, hard long rains like for several days. I didn't have a single leak during all that heavy, heavy rainfall. Saturday, my Taco is stilling in a grocery store parking lot at a very slight incline from right side to left, and now, 8 months later, I have this leak show up! WTF- UNFREAKING BELIEVABLE:eek:!! It leaked so much that the front right corner of the drivers seat was soaked and now appears to have a stain.
    This morning I called the dealership and they said they didn't do that type of repair work and would have to "co-ordinate" having a windshield man look at it and probably re-seal it. I also reminded him (probably in a saracastic way) not to forget the stained corner of my seat and that he'll probably need to "co-ordinate" someone to clean that too.
    I thought I'd put this on here just "for the record" and also in case anyone else has had such an issue come up. I had a new 95 F-150 and it had a windshield leak when I first got it as I heard a "whistling noise" when driving at highway speed. This has really rattled my confidence in Toyota quality - maybe I was over confident in their quality, but now I'm wondering how much "hidden" stuff is happening/going on. I've had transmission (update/shifting) issues to try and get resolved, I still have an air conditioner start up squeal that the dealership swears doesn't happen and/or is a non-issue and this is not to mention the "so-called" recall/gas pedal mod. As you all will agree, these trucks ain't cheap Russian or Korean hunks of metal but the quality of Toyota stuff lately is just getting to be bit much.
    Has anyone heard of other new Taco windshields leaking or developing a leak? Anyone had such a repair done and any advice on what to ask/look for in such a repair? I sure don't want someone using/running silcon around this windshield or something just absolutely stupid.

2. Aug 23, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    toyota quality has gone downhill. Its pretty shocking to see how many issues the 2010's are having in comparison to the '09's

3. Aug 23, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    widget

widget [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    Yeah, I think you're right, the quality of Toyota has gone downhill. I had an 89 Camry wagon that had 220k miles on it when I sold it and it was still running like a top. I also own a 2002 Highlander and it's not had any issues - my wife swears by it as her most favorite auto - she wouldn't dare consider trading or selling. I felt the same way when I got my Taco but now I'm not feeling it and that pisses me off. I felt I was buying the "best small truck on the market at the time." And I guess the thing that really blows me away is this developing after 8 months of ownership not to mention the total time from mfg date. I sure would have thought something like this would have shown up way before now...so I do have serious concerns about either other stuff "coming up" from this or something else totally "off the wall" later on.
    I wish I could be more easy going about all this, but I try to take real good care of my vehicles and I sure don't expect something like this to come up at this point - I might could have been more accepting of it within the first 30-60 days.
    This truck/Toyotas are way too expensive to be having just stupid stuff happen - it's a real good way to lose loyal, faithful customers you've had for years.

Products Discussed in

To Top