1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

86 pickup sitting outside for 30+ years. Where to start?

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by BoomBam, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Jun 10, 2022 at 5:50 AM
    oldtimertoyota

oldtimertoyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2009 4X4 Double Cab-1986 2wd Pickup Orig own
    It’s such a cool looking truck!

2. Jun 10, 2022 at 5:17 PM
    BoomBam

BoomBam [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Thanks. Its so funky looking and it keeps growing on me.

Its still bogging down during acceleration. Almost like it it’s not getting a good enough mixture of fuel? Especially at lower speeds. Once I get past 2 gear it runs smoother and is more responsive.
    From takeoff I’ve been having to feather the gas and clutch until I get enough momentum for it to keep running.

If I floor it from idle it bogs first then picks up rpm.

Lift of what I’ve done so far that I can potentially rule out.
    Distributor cap and rotor
    Wire set
    Spark plugs
    Air filter
    I also noticed that the tank didn’t seem to be venting properly because i heard a hissing sound when I filled up. I llego it a little loose and it didn’t seem to help but I’ll probably get a new cap eventually.
    Carburetor taken apart and cleaned. I’m probably going to do it again and more in depth.

DC844AAC-8624-46A8-83A6-4C6CD48435A6.jpg
    3DABF0FA-0A4F-436C-9552-271A7153A576.jpg

.劉煒, PzTank, xxTacocaTxx and 5 others like this.
  3. Jun 10, 2022 at 8:21 PM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    Looking good!

4. Jun 10, 2022 at 8:25 PM
    Canadian Caber

Canadian Caber R.I.P Layne Staley 67-2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Les
    B.C. Canada, eh
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4 Super White
    Wow, amazing transformation so far. Nice work OP. Bizarre to see this truck rescued from the brink and made usable again after a relatively short period of time. I’m enjoying watching your progress.

5. Jun 11, 2022 at 6:18 AM
    oldtimertoyota

oldtimertoyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2009 4X4 Double Cab-1986 2wd Pickup Orig own
    OP you should definitely document your work, this all adds up to some interesting history on this cool truck

6. Jun 11, 2022 at 6:35 AM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
  7. Jun 11, 2022 at 6:40 AM
    MalinoisDad

MalinoisDad Misanthropic dog person

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD PreRunner 5VZ
    5100s w/ 881s, JBA UCAs, J59s, other stuff and things
    I legit did not even notice the hood. I was preoccupied trying to figure out how many hunnies can fit in the back. Fingers crossed it turns out well for OP.

.劉煒 and skeletron like this.
  8. Jun 11, 2022 at 4:53 PM
    dbittle

dbittle Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 2.7 auto
    Wow. Just wow! Awesome truck. I saw the thread this morning and came back for a second look. If you decide to take it down the road of “restored vintage collectible” it’s probably a $30k vehicle.

9. Jun 11, 2022 at 10:36 PM
    BoomBam

Member:
    PNW
    You don't have anything covering it? I actually don't mind that look since it actually serves a purpose as well.

I actually am! I appreciate it.

I've been trying to document as much as I can during these past couple of days. I'm going to rip the carb apart and try to clean it a little better and get it running better while trying to avoid ordering any more parts. I've also been using this page to keep track of progress and get feedback from all the gurus. I have a lot of ideas for this little truck but realistically it is going to take a long time to do it all myself. I'm in between moves and can't really justify tearing the entire truck apart and leaving it at someone else's place disassembled. All of my tools are currently in moving boxes so I've mainly been using my tool bag that I keep with me for roadtrips. At least right now it can be driven if needed.

I noticed quite a bit of play while steering and I pretty much death gripped the steering wheel over any bumps in the road. I had quite a bit of wobbling going any faster than 60mph. I don't think I'll end up keeping the 4"? lift if I redo the suspension. I still want a small lift to be able to clear 33s or 35's maybe? Anything with rubber is pretty much shot so that alone will be a project. Ball joint boots, tie rod ends etc. Maybe that will fix the steering wander? The door latch situation was pretty frustrating. At one point, I'm sure the electronic lock/cable release setup worked and was convenient. Its not functional now and I'm sure there's something I could figure out for now besides cutting the door latch slot out and reinstalling them. On the bright side, my FIL took off the door panels before parking the truck so they are pretty much untouched. The exhaust is rusted out starting at the muffler so I need to do some research on Oregon DMV/DEQ reqs for a vehicle that old. I don't know how it would sound straight piped but that might be an option in the future if it's not annoyingly loud. There no rust holes in the frame, cab, or anywhere besides the bed. There is surface rust on the cab but no visible holes so far. Any recommendations for addressing light surface rusting on the cab? I have no prior experience with body work so I don't know if the bed rust is something that would be worth fixing. If the bed and tailgate are beyond repair, I want to make a simple flat bed with a wood deck and removable sides. I want to keep the truck as close to stock as possible to make it enjoyable to drive.

I appreciate everyones feedback so far and I look forward to keeping everyone updated.

Woodylz[QUOTED] and RustyGreen like this.
  10. Jun 12, 2022 at 12:49 PM
    Kevins60

Kevins60 axle wrap tells me my rear brakes are working

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Odessa FL
    Vehicle:
    ‘04 4cyl SR5 AT Pre-runner Garage Queen
    SCS Cruise Westin step bars Lund tonneau Jensen HU
    Just stumbled upon his and I am following. Way cool project.

11. Jun 12, 2022 at 1:41 PM
    la0d0g

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    Yeah I just left it uncovered. I kind of like the way it looks. Definitely not polishes though.

12. Jul 1, 2022 at 11:25 AM
    BoomBam

Member:
    PNW
    Carb rebuild kit came in. Hopefully that solves the rough idle during takeoff. My priority for the time being is getting it running smoothly then getting it to ride better.
    I noticed that the transmission kept getting bumped back into neutral (mainly in 4th gear) going over bumpy back roads. I’ll have to take a look at the engine mounts to see if they need replaced. Not sure what else it could be or if the handle can be adjusted underneath the boot.
    I’ve been looking into some aftermarket lift kits that can replace what’s currently on it. I thought about going back to stock but I think that would look funky. Especially with the body work that it has done to it. Any recommendations?

13. Jul 1, 2022 at 11:46 AM
    TexasTacoLT

TexasTacoLT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Offroad
    3" Lift (ToyTech Coilovers and AAL) Bilstein 5100 Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Method Double Standard 17" BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 (Removed) 33" BFG Mud Terrain Tires Colormatched Grill surround HomerTaco mesh grill insert Legacy "Toyota" Emblem Shrockworks plate rear bumper All-Pro plate front bumper w/ foglights All-Pro rock sliders Smoked Tail-lights DIY Steel Tailgate reinforcement Locking Tailgate handle Tint (15%) w/ sunstrip Tyger Tonneau cover (Removed) Bestop Soft Topper Bushwhacker colormatched fender flares DIY 8-ball shift knob DIY Amber LED grill lights DIY Debadged WeatherTech floormats Sudued US Flag door decals T-100 style tailgate decal Two way radio w/ 3' whip antenna Warn 8000lb winch CalTrend Neoprene seat covers DIY Bed tie-down anchors
    Very cool. I remember seeing this thread shortly after you started. Lots of progress so far. Looking forward to seeing how it looks in another year. :popcorn:

14. Jul 1, 2022 at 11:50 AM
    RyanDCLB

RyanDCLB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4/19 DCLBOR
    You might consider replacing the torsion bars with aftermarket. That, and finding a 1994 donor truck to replace all the running gear, etc. :notsure:

A fresh radiator if it doesn't have one. :thumbsup:

15. Jul 1, 2022 at 11:50 AM
    FreshOldTaco

FreshOldTaco Well-Known Rider

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    above the storm
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma
  16. Jul 1, 2022 at 12:39 PM
    BoomBam

Member:
    PNW

Its surprising how little work it took to actually get it running. So far, I haven't been disappointed. I know its going to take quite a bit more work but I'm not expecting to have it be done overnight. It's going to be a long and slow process.

I've thought about it. I actually found the gas tank from a guy on marketplace that had a bunch of Toyota shells. I'm sure he'll have everything I'm looking for but storage and space have been an issue so far.

I'm moving again at the end of the year and I already have too many cars that I need to move cross country. we're already going to take the wife's car, our commuter and if I can swing it, the pickup. Selling the pickup is not an option. I've actually been thinking about selling my Taco instead of leaving it parked outside for a few years until I move back to Oregon. I would rather not sell any of my vehicles but if it came down to it, the Tacoma would be first to go.

I had no idea these existed. This will definitely be the route I take. I hate reaching in through the back window just to open the door. The setup that was previously installed was a manual version of this. It came with a key that activated the solenoid. The remote setup definitely seems more convenient.

17. Jul 1, 2022 at 12:43 PM
    PzTank

PzTank Stuck in the Well

Member:
    Above the Notches
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 AC SR5 4X4 4.0 Auto
    ‘07 OR leather shift knob
    Thanks for posting that! I came across your thread when it was first posted but lost track of it. Just read through the whole thing , all the time I’m saying to my phone “carb rebuild kit” :rofl:. Hopefully it includes the tiny nozzles and other bits that can easily clog and get sticky.

It’s great you’ve got ‘er going, congrats on that.

Have you prioritized your efforts?

Safety, first:
    • Brakes- full fluid flush, all hard and flexible lines in good shape? Do you have drums on all 4? Wheel cylinders dry?
    • Steering - no leaks, track down and get that wobble you wrote about addressed. All components in good shape? Ball joints - no play. Same for tie rod ends.
    • U-joint - no play, all lubed up. Would be horrible if the front one dropped.
    • Frame- any issues?
    • Suspension- love the one you’re with until you decide to do something else. Any issues that need repair.
    Mechanicals:
    • Cooling system
    • Ignition system
    • Electricals
    Body
    • Functional
    • Cosmetic
    Interior

Not exhaustive by any means.

Good luck & thanks for taking us along :thumbsup:

Woodylz likes this.
  18. Jul 1, 2022 at 1:26 PM
    FreshOldTaco

FreshOldTaco Well-Known Rider

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    above the storm
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma
    I had an AutoLoc remote solenoid kit on my S-10 back in the day, worked very well. I also ran a hidden cable to pop the hood from the outside in case the battery went dead.

19. Jul 19, 2022 at 10:22 AM
    BoomBam

Member:
    PNW
    Anyone have recommendations on best website or store to purchase OEM parts? Most luck I've had so far has been Napa. I bought a couple of items off of ebay and realized too late that it said OEM replacement and not true OEM.
    I'll specifically be looking for steering components such and tie rod ends, ball joints ect...
    I'm going to be looking for some A/T tires here soon as well. I run BFG's on the 4runner but I'm also willing to try other options.

I started ripping the carb apart and already bent the main needle that slides into the plastic sleeve. I think I crushed it during disassembly while trying to unplug other pieces. I should have taken a picture of the rubber plungers. They were dry rotted, full of sediment and would not move as intended. Those Weber carbs are looking really temping right about now.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Jul 19, 2022 at 10:39 AM
    la0d0g

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    I run a Weber 32/36 on mine, no complaints.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top